Waikiki on a Sunday

fsufan53

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone

Wife and I headed to Aulani for our "Babymoon" this March.

So I believe with our package we get a free car rental. Due to all the traffic in and around Honlulu, I think we are going to drive to Waikiki on a Sunday in order to hopefully cut down on traffic. We really want to do Diamond Head but I didn't know if there was anything else we should hit while we are over there. Could historic places, restaurants, and/or a cool church to go to.

Will the traffic be better on a Sunday?

Thanks so much!

I would expect Waikiki to be filled with locals in addition to tourists on any given weekend. We have driven out of Waikiki on Sunday and the roads are great going in the opposite direction. We visited the state house, Pearl harbor (reserve ticket ahead of time), the Punchbowl and went to the Aloha stadium swap meet on Sunday. Traffic was minimal on the side roads. Check the cruise ship schedule also before you make plans. If there is a cruise ship in port whatever day you plan to visit, you would want to avoid Pearl Harbor if you can.

Traffic here can be bad on any given day. There is road construction going on all the time. Recently, the freeway has lane closures even on Sundays. I know that makes traffic horrendous coming back to the Aulani.

outrigger canoe rides are really fun, you catch 2-3 waves for $15, but they are very long rides. alohabeachservices.com. Waikiki is the only place in the world you can do this. Dukes has a party in the patio at 4-6. The catamaran rides are fantastic, the Maitai is very good, find them at leahi.com. There is a free hula show on the mound by dukes most nights at 6:00 pm. Diamond Head Hike is great, the problem with diamond head is more less the school trips so do not think sunday will be too bad. A mai tai at the Banyan Beach bar at the Moana hotel is perfect Hawaii, none better.

Waikiki is very open as far as hotels, so be sure to walk thru them all.

Driving in Waikiki true is not fun
walking around can be congested too
however the last time my husband and I took
a trip (just us no kids) we went to waikiki and had afternoon tea at
the Moana Surfrider
you are under the veranda in back facing the ocean
and that beautiful water wakiki is known for
the banyon tree is in the courtyard and they have live music playing
after our tea we strolled on the beach and looked around at the
historic museum they have upstairs and walked to the royal hawaiian and checked
it out too
a leisurely lunch and blissfully walking around without a care in the world
That is something you cannot do with kids so if it sounds like something you
would enjoy go for it :D
congrats on your impending parenthood!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter