Waiting in the Queue...what do people do when waiting for hours?

I can't think of much that you can do without a phone. If you don't want to get a smart phone, all I can think to do is to try to converse with your neighbors in line, look around and soak up atmosphere, enjoy the interactive queues, and play games like searching for hidden Mickey or I spy.

I don't think I could read in line; crowds make me uncomfortable and there's no way I could concentrate on a book. We went about a year ago and we all used our phones for entertainment while in line.

Sorry to be 'that' person, but I think standing in line is a great time to have snacks. I know some people don't like that, but if we've got to stand in line for an hour we might as well take advantage of the down time. So we would grab a couple mickey pretzels and drinks and then get in line. Or we would snack from the stash in my park backpack.

I do not. My high limit is 40mins and that’s rare. My kids love the shows and parades though and my limit there is one hour. We generally strike up conversations with the people around us. It’s actually pretty rare that we pull out our phones at Disney other than for photos and to use the app.
When the Indiana Jones Adventure opened in Disneyland in 1995 four of us went. We waited for 5 hours, 38 minutes.

No smart phones back then so we were forced to actually engage with others in line. Everyone there were crazy Disney/Jones/theme park fans so there was plenty to talk about - we all shared something in common.

I suspect people today have a more difficult time doing that because of smart phones with games and social media and even streaming movies. Talking to others in a long line may seem like some antiquated relic of the past. So you may find no one to talk to.
I don’t know about that. If you’ve read the thread most people say they strike up a conversation.

I suspect people today have a more difficult time doing that because of smart phones with games and social media and even streaming movies. Talking to others in a long line may seem like some antiquated relic of the past. So you may find no one to talk to.
When you’ve got nobody to talk to in line, just start talking to yourself. :D
Pretty soon the people around you will be talking about you. Fun for everyone. :bitelip:

This is why we go to Universal with the Express Pass. Standing in line is not my idea of fun. We never wait more than 20 minutes for anything and you can ride over and over.

We waited in a few lines in November and had fun with the Play Disney Parks app. The TSMM one was particularly fun for a family. Soarin game was just questions about places.

With the kids we entertain them with snacks, I Spy, and Head Bands on the phone. I need to try the Play Disney app next time. I like the idea of listening to podcasts, too.

When we were waiting in line for SDD one night just before closing, there were two women in line in front of us who were reading books. Not that I'd want to lug a book around the parks, but it was probably a great way to pass the time.

I don't like waiting in line. But when I have to, I play my word games, or quizzes online. They take a lot of my time and I enjoy winning :)

Honestly, mostly I do nothing. I go solo a lot and I might strike up a conversation, though usually I don't. I just stand there and take in the scenery if the queue has any. Some now have games and such, plus there's the new app from Disney that they say will definitely have games for waiting int he Star Wars queues. I haven't tried that thing yet though. Usually, I am just content to "be there" and not look at my phone.

When we were waiting in line for SDD one night just before closing, there were two women in line in front of us who were reading books. Not that I'd want to lug a book around the parks, but it was probably a great way to pass the time.
Yeah, that would be something extra to carry, and I like to travel light. I do talk to people...but my most extreme wait was 2 hours for Pandora and I'll never do that again, it was just too much. I don't have a cell phone, so that's out. We were thinking about playing Yahtzee.

Our first trip as a family to the World, we saw groups of people playing Heads Up on their phones while waiting in line. It looked like fun, so we downloaded it, too. It’s something our kids can have fun with, and we usually end up with people around us joining in, too. I like that it’s a game that generates social interaction as opposed to inhibiting it.

Our first trip as a family to the World, we saw groups of people playing Heads Up on their phones while waiting in line. It looked like fun, so we downloaded it, too. It’s something our kids can have fun with, and we usually end up with people around us joining in, too. I like that it’s a game that generates social interaction as opposed to inhibiting it.
Oh, I'd have to look at that. Does it mean only one person has to have a phone? Because I don't have one, but my daughter does.

No need to interact with humans. I have the Internet in my pocket along with copies of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe and all ten Star Wars movies plus a pocket battery that can last for days. I'm good.

We have been going to WDW since long before FP was even thought of so standing in lines is just what we do. If I'm solo, I'll read a book on my phone or just take in the sights and people watch. If I'm with my now grown son, we will talk, make up stories about things we see or both read on our phones. We actually rarely make FPs, we are lucky in that we have been going for a long time and up until this year, have gone at least twice a year so are never in a hurry to ride a ride or do anything. If we want to ride a ride and don't have a FP, we wait. We really love looking at the details of everything around us, and like I said making up stories or if we are curious about the significance of something one of us will look it up on our phones. Heck, we sat on a bench in front of Italy once for about a hour, sipping on wine and discussing the details at the top of the buildings. My son had to look up the statues and that caused another discussion, then we had to make up stories about the people in the statues.

If I didn;t have a phone on me then I'd probably bring a book to read. Yes, I'm one of those people. I'm an introvert so bringing a book while I wait in line is no new thing.

My family talks to each other or we are quiet and take in the scenery. In my opinion there is no need to be constantly entertained. Enjoy your company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter