Walking Around

crisi

DIS Veteran
I was in Orlando for a conference and had a day free. So I went over and visited some of the resorts I've never seen. And these are my impressions.

I went to POR - and was really impressed - it isn't a DVC resort, I know, but I went over because I'd heard such good things about it and (as I'm sure other's have experienced) as a "Disney expert" people ask for my advice on where to stay. I'd have no problems recommending either PO or Riverside to anyone on a moderate budget. Great resorts, great theming. Food Courts were both too small (the only moderate I've stayed in is CBR).

I then continued downriver (upriver?) and stopped at OKW. Loved the public areas. Sat by the pool (plenty of open chairs)- and I really liked the OKW pool area. Loved the "clubby/homey" feeling - OKW makes you feel like a member more than any of the other resorts I've been in. What I didn't like was all the traffic on the roads and how close the buildings sat to the roads. It did feel resorty - and part of what made it feel resorty was the narrow roads and individual buildings - but those narrow roads just didn't do it for me. Walking on the roads from the hospitality house back into the buildings themselves didn't feel safe to me - the roads were too narrow with all those big busses going down them. I wasn't expecting that. And I couldn't get to the backsides of the buildings - on the golf course, where I'm sure the resort feels a lot more peaceful

Continued downriver to SSR - its HUGE. Once again, I was really impressed with the public areas - the little spot outside the Turf Club with the pool table looked wonderful. Artist's Palate IS way too small - I was there after 10am and it was way too small, I can't imagine what an evening meal or breakfast there is like. The pool looked great (but I can see where that too might be too small - it was much more crowded than the other pools I visited). But not being car folks at Disney and the overwhelming distances from the back of the resort to the public areas leaves this low on my list. The grounds were really pleasant, much more pleasant than I had anticipated finding them - and will only get more so as the landscaping grows in. And the community hall was larger and better designed than any other. Also, some of the complaints about signage seemed valid - I was going to walk to DTD, but just ended up getting in my car and driving. (SSR was the only gatehouse I stopped at where they actually wrote down who I was - the other resorts waved me through with a glance at my license).

Saw the VAK models - wasn't impressed. I don't need the extra bathroom enough to give up the closet space and master bath space. The masterbath is now smaller than the one in my home (but I LOVED the shower with the seat - less arguments about handicapped accessibility!). Didn't like the turned bar, but could probably adapt - that might have been a "don't like change" thing. No closet space (relatively, but then I'm used to the "backup nursery" that BWV has as a master bedroom closet). But I've never been fond of the AKL decor - the only reason to stay there (IMO) is to sit on the balcony and look out - not look in - and I love AKL for that (and suspect the Villas will have a similar appeal to me).

Anyway, I hope people find this constructive and not "resort bashing" - it isn't meant to be.

Thanks for posting this. I value your opinions and comments.

My favorite val/mod resort is PO Riverside , I love it. Enough so that I slept on the floor for 10 nights 3 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter