Walt Disney Company Q3 Earnings Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discount Tuesday became as busy at theaters as Saturdays in the last 2-3 years (it was so big, the movie market would comment on it). The joke was the discount Tuesday was family movie day...and families came out in force for the $5-$6 tickets (depending if you were in a suburban or urban market).

Only other family showings that sold out so quickly so far ahead were 1st weekend 1st showing discounted matinees...

So, most middle class families were paying $5-$6/ticket for most family movies...and that's gonna be 5-6 tickets at this price point...

I don't even know if they did that here. I've never heard of a discount tuesday. The only discounts I recall were for the second-run movies.

Our theaters do $5 Tuesday here. Always packed.

Maybe they did it here, I didn't pay attention. Still, I think it's fair to say that the average ticket price for a first run movie is well over 6 dollars.

Maybe they did it here, I didn't pay attention. Still, I think it's fair to say that the average ticket price for a first run movie is well over 6 dollars.

I think amc is most known for their discount Tuesdays. They are the only chain I'm aware of doing it but they've also been the closest/best option for me for years.

I think amc is most known for their discount Tuesdays. They are the only chain I'm aware of doing it but they've also been the closest/best option for me for years.

AMC, Cinemark, and Regal had/have discount Tuesdays:)...Regal's were not chain wide, though (aka they focused on their underperforming locations), but the other two were...

What really is new here is the price point, right?

We can go back and forth on pros/cons, but testing out a $30 + price of subscription is what is at stake here for a streamed release.

IMO it would perform better at $20, but they have the research...
I find it, I don’t know, perplexing the Stress over the cost...
Many folks on these boards are not concerned about going to the parks and paying full price because their demand to do so is “pent up”. Isn’t that the same idea here?
My kids were excited when they heard they would be able to each Mulan on our home theater instead of having to wait who knows how long to see it. And the wife and are fine with $30 for all of us to watch it. Makes for a nice family evening when we are looking for things to do...not directed at you specifically Dave. Just a general thougjt

Many folks on these boards are not concerned about going to the parks and paying full price because their demand to do so is “pent up”. Isn’t that the same idea here?
My kids were excited when they heard they would be able to each Mulan on our home theater instead of having to wait who knows how long to see it. And the wife and are fine with $30 for all of us to watch it. Makes for a nice family evening when we are looking for things to do...not directed at you specifically Dave. Just a general thougjt

You could be right. The Disney crowd is willing to pay more for Disney product.

Our only real comparison right now is Trolls. That set the bar. And that was at $20 for 48 hours.

Going to $30 and having to have a paid subscription is just a new wrinkle and it's interesting to me to opine on it and watch it unfold.

Also, Trolls was directly aimed at kids. I know parents were happy to give their little kids a 2 hour diversion (I know we did it). I don't know that Mulan fills that same void. Just looking at myself, I have pause about paying the $30 for this. I didn't about $20. There's a whole psychology to pricing models, that's for sure.

You could be right. The Disney crowd is willing to pay more for Disney product.

Our only real comparison right now is Trolls. That set the bar. And that was at $20 for 48 hours.

Going to $30 and having to have a paid subscription is just a new wrinkle and it's interesting to me to opine on it and watch it unfold.

Also, Trolls was directly aimed at kids. I know parents were happy to give their little kids a 2 hour diversion (I know we did it). I don't know that Mulan fills that same void. Just looking at myself, I have pause about paying the $30 for this. I didn't about $20. There's a whole psychology to pricing models, that's for sure.
Will be interesting for sure. Maybe they think it would drive more subs to D+? Tbh aside from people concerned about detrimental effect on theaters I have not seen too many compelling reasons not to try it...as far as effect on theaters it’s unfortunate but look what cable tv did to broadcast and now what streaming does to cable. Things evolve and others things wane...

It's cost/benefit. As a sometimes solo traveler to wdw I am conscious of what I spend while there but it's my vacation and I get much fun and relaxation from it. It's a great escape and dollar to hour I'm good with what I spend.

30 for a movie as a single person isn't something I'm going to do for any movie. I can add a little or a lot and go to a baseball game or live theatre. I can save a little, drive 10 min and see our Jr hockey team. Those to me make more sense. I get we can't go to those right now but I'd still rather save my money for another event. Plus it's rare that I spend 20 bucks to buy a DVD so why would I spend 30 to rent?

It's cost/benefit. As a sometimes solo traveler to wdw I am conscious of what I spend while there but it's my vacation and I get much fun and relaxation from it. It's a great escape and dollar to hour I'm good with what I spend.

30 for a movie as a single person isn't something I'm going to do for any movie. I can add a little or a lot and go to a baseball game or live theatre. I can save a little, drive 10 min and see our Jr hockey team. Those to me make more sense. I get we can't go to those right now but I'd still rather save my money for another event. Plus it's rare that I spend 20 bucks to buy a DVD so why would I spend 30 to rent?
I hear you. But everything you lay out sounds like you might not be the target customer for this initiative? If they want the family movie market they may get a ton of em. Because as you so accurately state there is not a ton we can do right now.
Just curious do you have Disney plus? Would you want to get it at a lower price point?

I hear you. But everything you lay out sounds like you might not be the target customer for this initiative? If they want the family movie market they may get a ton of em. Because as you so accurately state there is not a ton we can do right now.
Just curious do you have Disney plus? Would you want to get it at a lower price point?

I have it but the only reason I keep it is a streaming credit benefit on one of my credit cards so I'm not really paying for it. Was a covid related benefit so totally extra and not normal. Otherwise I would do the same I do with netflix, get it for a month or two to watch everything I want and then wait a year or so and repeat.

As for the family aspect I still wouldn't do it. Going to the movies is part of the enjoyment and even when meeting friends it's a matinee or weekend morning showing. I wouldn't spend 30 because I couldn't go to the theatre, we'd just wait for it to stream, rent or borrow from the library. I already buy amc gc at a discount ad haven't been to a full price movie in years. I may not be the target but there will be people that wait. I think trolls had the advantage of being the first and a kids movie. This won't continue working unless all theatres go bankrupt and I can't see the movie industry letting that happen. The studios need them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter