Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video, photos, info.

In case you haven’t guessed it I’m a bit obsessed with the Skyliner.
I found this video from a Gondola system in Germany it seems to be busy like Disney with strollers and wheelchairs. This was a temporary system and no longer in service

Just for fun to see the loading
Although Disney’s is supposed to have a second loop for loading wheelchairs/ECV’s

Last edited:
Safety on the gondola

So the good news the highest they will be is 60 feet Disney has spent 1.4 Million on equipment and a truck that can go up to 116 feet another truck for 840,000 that can go 173 feet and a barge for water rescues and as of today they have 2,500 hours of training on the new equipment ( now this is not just for the gondola but also the rides at Disney) but still they do have training on how to use it,

now the not so good news

they need more firefighter they are stretched thin and with new lands new hotel opening soon not sure how long it would take to hire more people how long training would take ( I think it really depends on what training they already have too) it did say they made a budget for 40 new people but only two have been hired and they were administration. they do have an agreement with orange county for help when need be so I think this is also good but it does sound like more people is what is needed and soon.

Here is the article. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-disney-firefighters-reedy-creek-20190517-wuin256jerdohkngcufsdsltnu-story

Last edited:
I'm just curious, will those of us with ECVs be asked to transfer to seats, like on buses? Or will we stay on the ECV, like on monorails? And are there tie downs for the ECVs or are they freewheeling, able to roll around on the gondola? If they can roll around, that might be an Eticket ride for sure!

I'm just curious, will those of us with ECVs be asked to transfer to seats, like on buses? Or will we stay on the ECV, like on monorails? And are there tie downs for the ECVs or are they freewheeling, able to roll around on the gondola? If they can roll around, that might be an Eticket ride for sure!
No one know for sure but my guess is you will be able to stay in your ECV and there will be no tie down for ECV.

No one know for sure but my guess is you will be able to stay in your ECV and there will be no tie down for ECV.

That's my best guess too. I think they are going to rely upon ECVs that will use the system to have passive braking when the ECV is stopped/turned off.

Parents will need to hold on to strollers, and any device with active braking can engage that as well.

If the system operates at the speed I think it is going to, there shouldn't be too much "sway" overall. There might be a little when the cars enter/leave the stations, but even then, I have a feeling it's going to be pretty steady.

@gap2368, I like that sign you found a picture of! Is that from HS? I never really considered that the stations will likely be themed to their locale; in my head, it's all been kind of generic until now.

That's my best guess too. I think they are going to rely upon ECVs that will use the system to have passive braking when the ECV is stopped/turned off.

Parents will need to hold on to strollers, and any device with active braking can engage that as well.

If the system operates at the speed I think it is going to, there shouldn't be too much "sway" overall. There might be a little when the cars enter/leave the stations, but even then, I have a feeling it's going to be pretty steady.

@gap2368, I like that sign you found a picture of! Is that from HS? I never really considered that the stations will likely be themed to their locale; in my head, it's all been kind of generic until now.

org_dsc04408.jpg

20190518 from BlogMickey.com

While visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios today, we noticed that signage has been installed for the Disney Skyliner gondola station. The signage is still wrapped, but it’s pretty easy to make out “Disney” in small font, and then “Skyliner” in the larger font.

org_dsc04415.jpg

It may just be how it’s wrapped, but Skyliner almost looks like two words here. Of course, in all of the verbiage so far, Disney has formatted it as a single word. We’ll reserve judgement until it’s fully unwrapped.

As closer inspection of the wrapping reveals the project codename “Italian Job”, indicating gondola work.

org_dsc04411.jpg

Also new in the station is another piece of signage that we’re not sure of the usage yet.

org_dsc04412.jpg

Disney has stated that the Disney Skyliner gondola system will open this fall, but it looks like it could open well before Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens on August 29th.

Okay. I have just been through the entire 11 pages on this thread and would like to give some observations, some from experience and others just concern or thoughts. In no particular order of importance:

1. I have ridden the monorail in my scooter many times and have just driven straight on and turned my scooter off. There is very little movement - possibly an inch or two back and forth, which is all the gearing in the wheels will allow without releasing the gear system. So, no need to be tied down - also as there's no forward or backward motion as you're loaded sideways, movement is absolutely minimal anyway.

2. Some bus drivers prefer to let me remain on the scooter while they stand in front and manually ease me into place. This is usually when I haven't got on at the start of the route and there are already people sitting down. Alternatively, I get off and let them move it themselves.

3. The last couple of years, I have remained in my scooter for the entire journey from resort to park and back. It frees up a seat for someone else to sit in - and is far more comfortable, too (apart from the seatbelt).

4. While buses do not run from the monorail loop resorts to MK during the monorail operating hours, they absolutely do put buses on after the monorail shuts down at approximately 10.30pm. We had to return to GFV by bus after a late evening event as there was no other mode of transport available.

5. Scooters are not that heavy in themselves - I doubt one would weigh more than a good sized person, so saying that one of them on one side of the gondola would unbalance the ride is not true. If we can lift the front of a scooter to put it into the back of a SUV and then between two of us lift the entire back section up and run it forward in one piece (because hubby thought it took too long to dismantle it all), then it won't be a problem. This is a Pride 10 we're talking about here. Those humping great park scooters aren't allowed out of the parks anyway.

6. I was concerned about backing out of a gondola myself, but bearing in mind you can get off, slip the gear lever and carefully run it in backwards to load before putting the gear lever back, that would be so much easier. I also reckon that in the same way CMs can help physically guide you on and off vehicles for other modes of transport, they'll be able to help you out on the gondola, as well.

7. Any swinging you see is bound to be lessened once the gondolas are loaded, as the weight will stabilise them.

8. One photo/video talked about the great view. Sorry, but there is obscuring film over every single window, so unless you're able to see down out of an open end window slat, you're not going to be able to see anything. I was very disappointed on our return journey to the airport in the DME because of the film over the glass: I couldn't see a thing. Even if you are able to see something at a distance (because of the magnificent way our eyes work in conjunction with our brains), you can probably forget about taking videos/photos out of the windows, as they'll just focus on the first solid thing they see - which will be the film.

9. I very much doubt they'll stop running buses from these resorts. I have read time and time again that the bus capacity is at maximum and they just can't put any more into the system. So, the gondolas really were the only solution. Not everyone will be able to go on a gondola, anyway - anyone with any sort of fear of heights, claustrophobia, being in the kind of mobility 'transport' which means you take up considerably more room than a wheelchair or scooter etc, they will have no other option. Actually, forget that last category - they won't fit in the buses in any event. I'm sure the families of such people have vans they transport them in.

10. Some posters keep talking about how narrow the seats will be and how cramped they'll be if more than 6 people get on. Think about the bus seats. They are incredibly narrow and uncomfortable - another reason why I prefer to stay in my scooter for the journey. And at least you won't have someone's backpack in your face or their giant 'folding' stroller parked on your foot! Also, don't forget that many family dynamics will include small children who take up much less space widthways.

11. Finally, and something which give me a bit of a 'duh' moment at some comments I've read about multiple scooters or wheelchairs holding everyone else up. Come on, seriously - how many times have you been at a bus stop at a resort (or at a park to return to a resort) and seen more than half a dozen scooters/wheelchairs lined up ready to take every available seat/slot on the next bus? There have only been two times, ever, when there were a couple of people ahead of me in the queue and I had to wait for the next bus because they can only take 2 at a time. With this system of sliding a gondola out to the next loop and loading you stationary, and then slotting you back into the correct place for the return journey, it will be very little wait. Yes, you can see many many scooters over a day in a park, but they don't all want to travel on the same bus to the same resort at the same time as you! And with this constantly moving thing, there'll be very little delay for anyone. Thing about the TTA which sometimes has incredibly long queues but moves very quickly.

Just a few of my thoughts on the matter. We're next over in Disney in February 2020 by which time the gondolas will be up and running. However, we're staying at AKL anyway, so unless we want to go on a 'gondola jaunt' just to ride it, I can't see it being a problem for us. This time! Anyway, if we did just want to ride it in a big 'circle' just to try it out, I'd just leave my scooter somewhere safe at whichever park and then go using my walking stick - which is fine as long as I don't have a lot of walking to do, or try to stand on a moving mode of transport.

We may potentially stay at Riviera at some point (as we're DVC members) and then might want to use it, but it should be in full running order with all the bugs ironed out by then.

org_dsc04415.jpg

As closer inspection of the wrapping reveals the project codename “Italian Job”, indicating gondola work.

I *literally* laughed out loud when I saw that... The Italian Job has been one of the the hubs favorite movies for a long time, and so around our house, it is spoken of with great reverence! LOL

8. One photo/video talked about the great view. Sorry, but there is obscuring film over every single window, so unless you're able to see down out of an open end window slat, you're not going to be able to see anything. I was very disappointed on our return journey to the airport in the DME because of the film over the glass: I couldn't see a thing. Even if you are able to see something at a distance (because of the magnificent way our eyes work in conjunction with our brains), you can probably forget about taking videos/photos out of the windows, as they'll just focus on the first solid thing they see - which will be the film.
Photos can certainly be done with a little know-how. The trick is to get a shallow depth of field with a wide aperture or large sensor (both is better), and put the lens almost up to the glass. I like to actually have my lens hood touching the glass, which also minimizes any reflections on the glass as well. They even sell special accessories that suction cup onto the glass and then wrap around the lens to remove all reflections.

Since the camera/lens combo won't be able to physically focus on the glass or anything on it, it will focus beyond, and it simply acts to degrade the contrast of the image much like a dirty lens would. This works even on perforated overlays with advertisements on them. And if you have trouble seeing through the glass because you can't focus beyond the film (which is uncommon but not unheard of), you can use the camera's screen to see out. :)

Video is iffier, since to get a wide aperture and a large sensor you'd need to change the crank angle. Ordinarily, the shutter in video is open for half of the frame rate - so a 30 FPS video has a shutter open for 1/60 of a second; in cinema this is known as a 180 degree shutter angle. Decreasing the shutter speed leads to choppy looking video, like in the battle scenes of Saving Private Ryan where they used a shutter speed of 1/96th with a frame rate of 24 FPS (90 degrees). But with a wide aperture, getting an acceptable shutter speed can be problematic without additional accessories to reduce the exposure.

Walls Removed Around Disney Skyliner Station at Epcot’s International Gateway 20190520

Disney has begun the process of removing the construction walls from around the Disney Skyliner station at Epcot’s International Gateway. The station will not only service Epcot, but also guests looking to travel to Disney’s Hollywood Studios via the air from the Epcot area resorts. Disney’s been hitting a lot of milestones with the Disney Skyliner project, including testing on all lines and unwrapping their character gondola cabins.

org_dsc04693.jpg

org_dsc04695.jpg

img_6667.jpg

org_dsc04696.jpg

Disney has stated that the Disney Skyliner gondola system will open this fall at Walt Disney World.

Thank you, Weedy and Rob Jack Rob.

Interesting thoughts on video arriving at the Disney Riviera Resort Skyliner Gondola Station and how to depart and possible loading and loading.

Rob Jack Rob. stays that he didn't see any "second row" in this Disney Riviera Resort Skyliner Gondola Station and the gondola actually stops to allow exiting of guests, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and strollers. He says this because he doesn't see a second row and the gondola does actually stop at the station.

This is news to me because I just assumed all of the Disney Skyliner Gondola Station would have a second row for this purpose. Very interesting.

I can't wait to see inside the Disney Caribbean Beach Resort Skyliner Gondola Station that is supposed to have the three gondolas arriving from three different locations.

Hmmm...sorry...I was trying to say that three times in a row and confused myself.

Plus, for some reason, I thought that you would have to get off the gondola when arriving at the Riviera Resort and get on another gondola to go to EPCOT. He explains that instead of getting off at Riviera just stay on and continue to EPCOT. I think that is what he said.

Rob Jack Rob. says please take this as speculation.

Rob Jack Rob. takes a lot of his time to make these videos. And the brief time that I met him at DHS on my May 2019 WDW vacation he was just as nice in person as he is in his videos.

More video. Thanks to Rob from Passport to the Parks

Last edited:
His name is Jack?? I thought it was Rob?
Well since he start each video with hi this is Rob with passport to the park ( I think I have that right) I am going to go out on a limb and say his name is Rob.

If the CMs can vary the speed of each gondola within Riviera station then it would be easier to handle wheelchairs without a separate loop track or second row.

Possible strategy:

Most guests would get off at the back of the station and most guests would board from the middle of the station.

Gondola for wheelchair guests would not board anyone in the middle, tailgates its predecessor to the front of the station, speeds up if possible, and then stops. This allows more time for wheelchair loading before too many other gondolas could back up behind.

Sometimes there will not be enough time to board a new wheelchair guest after letting off another wheelchair guest so the gondola takes off empty.

Sometimes there would not be enough time for a wheelchair guest to get up and move to one of the built in benches.

The film on the windows is supposed to reduce heat infiltration and in so doing the film will also darken the interior during the daytime. For taking pictures including out the window, the camera will be treating a sunny day as light overcast and treating a light overcast day as heavily overcast. Pictures taken with an inexpensive point and shoot camera will be more vulnerable to motion blur.

Last edited:
First Look at Disney Skyliner Water Evacuation Boat

http://blogmickey.com/2019/06/first-look-at-disney-skyliner-water-evacuation-boat/

As work on the Disney Skyliner gondola system progresses, Disney is in the process of putting some finishing touches on their construction. One element that we haven’t seen much chatter on yet is how a water evacuation would work over Hourglass Lake between Disney’s Art of Animation Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort. As you might remember, we already covered the land evacuation testing quite extensively at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Today, we have a first look for you at the Disney Skyliner water evacuation boat that will be used should an evacuation over Hourglass Lake be necessary.
The boat is a heavily equipped pontoon boat with platforms that would get to the various heights that the Disney Skyliner gondola cabins will be at over the water. The boat (and small dock) are on the west side of Hourglass Lake, near the 7000 blocks of rooms at The Little Mermaid section.

org_dsc07809.jpg

A few closer looks at the boat appear to show a fixed platform about 10-12 feet off of the water.

org_dsc07810.jpg

There appears to be plenty of space on the pontoon for at least a few full Disney Skyliner cabins worth of guests, if not more. While we haven’t seen the boat in action yet, it appears that there might be two platform levels that the gondola cabin could rest on as they navigate under the cabin. We’ll have more on the logistics of an evacuation once we see Disney begin testing.

org_dsc07814.jpg

org_dsc07812.jpg

I don't see any kind of lift on the pontoon boat, but maybe they might use a portable ramp for wheelchairs or mobility scooters. If not, they will probably call EMS for folks that might need a mode of transport by an EMS ambulance stretcher and the professionals to move the patient.

case you haven’t guessed it I’m a bit obsessed with the Skyliner.

:thanks: for your obsession and the resulting posts!

@Ray_Sharpton, where the article linked states, "The station will not only service Epcot, but also guests looking to travel to Disney’s Hollywood Studios via the air from the Epcot area resorts." do you think the author realizes how cumbersome /time-consuming that will be? Especially since there are already three ways to get between the two paks, and two ways to get from their resorts to either park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!