Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Has anyone ever had the option to pay to upgrade at check in (at any of the properties - SR, S, or D). I used to be Marriott plat and am now just a gold, and we would regularly get upgrades to one of the suites at SR or a room w/balcony at S&D. We will be traveling with our 3 year old who is a prompt 7pm sleeper, and it would be nice to have the balcony to sit on when she goes down. We are definitely willing to pay and it seems all of these rooms are available for our dates in mid-May right now (we are planning on using a cert to book a basic room on points). Thanks for any insight/experience!

@rosie5189 it was VERY common during the days S/D was a Starwood owned property. Now the way things are run it seems less common, and more you get what you initially boked. It might be worth calling in-house reservations now to see if you can get an upgrade at a reasonable cost or just wait till you check-in. Talking with the Call Center team is probably not the best bet to get an upgrade, paid or points.

@rosie5189 it was VERY common during the days S/D was a Starwood owned property. Now the way things are run it seems less common, and more you get what you initially boked. It might be worth calling in-house reservations now to see if you can get an upgrade at a reasonable cost or just wait till you check-in. Talking with the Call Center team is probably not the best bet to get an upgrade, paid or points.
Thanks so much - I'm going to give in-house at SR and Swan a ring today to see if this is something they still do!

Has anyone ever had the option to pay to upgrade at check in (at any of the properties - SR, S, or D). I used to be Marriott plat and am now just a gold, and we would regularly get upgrades to one of the suites at SR or a room w/balcony at S&D. We will be traveling with our 3 year old who is a prompt 7pm sleeper, and it would be nice to have the balcony to sit on when she goes down. We are definitely willing to pay and it seems all of these rooms are available for our dates in mid-May right now (we are planning on using a cert to book a basic room on points). Thanks for any insight/experience!
I always check in at the desk, and they usually ask me if I want to upgrade. When Starwood managed the properties, I often got upgraded for free. Not anymore.

Has anyone ever had the option to pay to upgrade at check in (at any of the properties - SR, S, or D).
Yes we have asked at the Front desk at the Swan and an upgrade was offered to a balcony room for $20 or $50 per night depending on what type of room we had originally booked.
We are definitely willing to pay and it seems all of these rooms are available for our dates in mid-May right now (we are planning on using a cert to book a basic room on points).
In your case you should book a balcony room on points or live with a basic room (Traditional). Between Mothers day until Memorial Day week a large number of Florida residents tend to book with short notice to take advantage before their AP Blackout window hits for summer in June.

Dave

In your case you should book a balcony room on points or live with a basic room (Traditional). Between Mothers day until Memorial Day week a large number of Florida residents tend to book with short notice to take advantage before their AP Blackout window hits for summer in June.

Dave
I don’t see any blackouts for June for Pixie Pass/FL resident APs this summer. Just the standard weekend and Memorial Day & July 4th blocks.

Are there other FL resident tickets blocked out?

2nd trip to WDW (1st Oct. 2017 YC) Staying at Swan Reserve mid July. We all agreed that it seems to be the best room option with the 2 bedroom signature suite split floorplan since the kids are now young adults. Another perk it seems to be quiet and the pool tranquil.

Couldn’t find much information on transportation from Swan Reserve to Magic Kingdom or Disney Springs. Except to walk over to neighboring resorts of BW or YC, however keep it on the down low. Is this the way? Any tips there?

Any dining recommendations at Swan Reserve? Would to be nice to check-in and not have to go too far on arrival/travel day since it’s 9 hours airports/plane ride.

Any dining recommendations at Swan Reserve? Would to be nice to check-in and not have to go too far on arrival/travel day since it’s 9 hours airports/plane ride.
I've not dined at any of the Swan Reserve restaurants but there are lots of good options at the Swan and the Dolphin. My favorite Italian restaurant on Disney property is Il Mulino at the Swan. I'm sure others will weigh in with their suggestions.

Can I use a Firestick I bring from home and plug into the TV at the Dolphin?

Alternatively, does anyone know if ESPN+ is one of the Smart TV options on the T V (if it has a smart tv). Pretty sure I was at the Swan recently and Disney+ was not actually a streaming option, oddly enough.

Alternatively, does anyone know if ESPN+ is one of the Smart TV options on the T V (if it has a smart tv). Pretty sure I was at the Swan recently and Disney+ was not actually a streaming option, oddly enough.
We've successfully plugged in a roku stick in tvs in 3 different dolphin rooms over the past 6 months, which is very similar to a firestick. You should be fine. My husband said it's super easy.

The smart tv has Netflix and I think one other channel but I can't remember what. Pretty sure it wasn't espn+ though. We also noticed there was no Disney+ option. 🤨

I was able to plug in my Firestick into the TV at the Dolphin when I stayed last year.

Of the 3 is there a difference in which one is considered to have the best location?

Is there a significant difference in the room rates. If there is any opinion on if the difference is worth it?

TIA

Of the 3 is there a difference in which one is considered to have the best location?

Is there a significant difference in the room rates. If there is any opinion on if the difference is worth it?

TIA
There can be a big difference if there is a convention which has a room block at 2 but not 3 of the hotels. For example: Swan Reserve with annual passholder discount at $381, Dolphin at more than $1,000 and Swan sold out.

TIA
Overall shortest walk to boat is most likely Swan as it has a smaller footprint than Dolphin and both are closer to the boat than SR- if that’s what you mean by “location”

Typically the price structure is Dolphin < Swan < SR. Conventions/events will skew that to where dolphin can be noticeably cheaper than SR sometimes.

TIA

I haven't stayed at the Swan Reserve yet because, quite frankly, I don't want even a shortish extra walk after a long day in the parks. I would only stay there with a car. But of the other 2, I prefer the Swan. However if there is a large enough price difference I will book the Dolphin. For a quick 2 night stay this September the difference is $100 a night, So I am staying at the Dolphin. I like the smaller, quieter ambiance of the Swan but for $200 I like the Dolphin well enough.

TIA

There really is no "best" location imo since they are so close to one another, but SR is kind of in a weird spot where it’s tucked further back than the older hotels and you have to cross an actual street to get to it. Personally I don’t think I would care for that at the end of the night—thinking specifically about when we stayed at YC last year on my birthday and we were stumbling back from a late night post-close jaunt at Oga’s lol.

I have yet to stay at the Swan because it’s always been more expensive any time I have looked, I prefer the Dolphin as a rule because that’s where pretty much everything is (most of the restaurants, the spa, etc). But I also don’t mind the double beds on solo trips and I just book a king room with my partner. I would definitely do Swan if the price was right though. It’s really not that big a deal, they are very close. The boat dock is smack in the middle of them. Reserve otoh just feels too out of the way to me, but some may prefer that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter