Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

How many of you use magic bands for tickets? I know we can't use them to charge purchases or to open the door, but do any of you use them in the parks? Is it more convenient than using your ticket card?

I am tempted to purchase one, but only if it makes fast pass and entrance easier.

I have them and usually opt to use my ticket instead because I dislike wearing these plastic bands on my wrist. We like the old fashioned lanyard around the neck with your pass attached (and pins along the strap) the best.

I believe that most people like the wrist bands because you don't have to dig them out of your wallet or pocket. I find that it is awkward to line them up properly with the door locks in particular. I prefer the ticket card.

The bands are not expensive (about $12-15) so, if you want one for in the parks - go for it! You can buy them at The Disney Store, online and in the parks. Plus, I believe that the new ones have options to remove the middle part and wear it differently. I haven't gotten one of these yet, so I can't really comment on how useful/convenient they are.

I have them and usually opt to use my ticket instead because I dislike wearing these plastic bands on my wrist. We like the old fashioned lanyard around the neck with your pass attached (and pins along the strap) the best.

I believe that most people like the wrist bands because you don't have to dig them out of your wallet or pocket. I find that it is awkward to line them up properly with the door locks in particular. I prefer the ticket card.

The bands are not expensive (about $12-15) so, if you want one for in the parks - go for it! You can buy them at The Disney Store, online and in the parks. Plus, I believe that the new ones have options to remove the middle part and wear it differently. I haven't gotten one of these yet, so I can't really comment on how useful/convenient they are.
i think it's personal preference. I can't stand things around my neck, so prefer the wristbands. But the Magicband 2 does have option of putting the center portion in a keychain or lanyard. I bought my son a character band on clearance but the rest of ours are plain ones. We are staying one night at Poly next stay so we will get new Magicbands. (Old ones still show as active though)

Hi all -
Just stopping in to get caught up. We've stayed at the Swan 3 times in the past and will again next year (mid July). Would NOT stay anywhere else - convenient to two parks, the Boardwalk, Beaches and Cream, and the Cape May Buffet!

I'll be searching and posting on this board during the next few months. I hope to be able to get rooms under $200 a night before resort fees and taxes using the Teacher Discount, or AARP.

I understand the concierge floor no longer exists - we used to use Starwood points to upgrade to that. Great way to start the day. Too bad - I assume that means Mama T and Tabo(sp?) are no longer there?

Last time I posted was 2011, then 2009 before then. There used to be a thread called the Sigma Delta Sorority - and I enjoyed reading and chatting with the very friendly and helpful people there. (I posted a comment on that on the Community Board, but it's pushed down rapidly so I doubt I'll get a response from anyone from that "sorority" who still posts here.)

Anyway - nothing gets me through the Chicago winters better than planning a Disney trip. Been WAY too long! And this time- for the first time - we'll be going with grandchildren!

Have a great day everyone!

Bill

Last edited:

I assume that means Mama T and Tabo(sp?) are no longer there?
Mama T is gone. Thabo is still there, in concierge. In fact, I just called him, talked for 10 minutes or so. Since we will be there tomorrow, I wanted to make sure we touch base while I am there. He knew I was coming when I talked to him, knew our flight arrival time. :faint: He is a super guy. He said he keeps up with Mama T on Facebook. She still does her poetry he said when I asked about that. Two really nice people.

Last time I posted was 2011, then 2009 before then.
Come by more often, Bill.

There used to be a thread called the Sigma Delta Sorority - and I enjoyed reading and chatting with the very friendly and helpful people there. (I posted a comment on that on the Community Board, but it's pushed down rapidly so I doubt I'll get a response from anyone from that "sorority" who still posts here.)
All, or most of those ladies are gone from here I think, what with how the CB got years back. I do think they keep up with each other on Facebook, though, since I do not do Facebook, have lost touch with them. :(

Anyway - nothing gets me through the Chicago winters better than planning a Disney trip. Been WAY too long! And this time- for the first time - we'll be going with grandchildren!
Way to long here also, 3 1/2 years. Going with my daughter Natalie and her 2 boys. :cool1:

Good to see you, Bill.

Thanks for the info Dan. I'll be interested in hearing about your time there.

I thought there is not a concierge FLOOR anymore or is there? Perhaps you meant Thabo works as a concierge. If so - I wonder what services that might provide.

I'm not a Facebooker either. I see the benefit of it - but I think it could turn into a time waster for me.

So much has changed at WDW since my last visit that I need to catch up on. We already sad we missed the Great Movie Ride - my oldest granddaughter is into Wizard of Oz and m y son got her excited about seeing that part - oh well!

I bought the Unofficial Guide - but I'm sure this board will prove to be my "go-to" place for help.

Have a great time, Dan!

Just back from a weekend stay of 1 night swan, 2 nights dolphin. Lobby construction at Dolphin is still going on behind large walls, but it's not disruptive.

Bluezoo is currently offering its happy hour menu in the lounge nightly from 5-7pm. It makes for a nice value on dinner if the offerings match your cravings.

Just back from a weekend stay of 1 night swan, 2 nights dolphin. Lobby construction at Dolphin is still going on behind large walls, but it's not disruptive.

Bluezoo is currently offering its happy hour menu in the lounge nightly from 5-7pm. It makes for a nice value on dinner if the offerings match your cravings.

Does the happy hour menu change, or is it the same every night? Did you try it?

I thought there is not a concierge FLOOR anymore or is there? Perhaps you meant Thabo works as a concierge. If so - I wonder what services that might provide.
Thabo works at both the Dolphin and Swan concierge counters in the lobbies. There is no more club floor (concierge at an 'official' Disney resort). He is one super guy.

We already sad we missed the Great Movie Ride
I was so sad to hear of the permanent closing of both the GMR and Ellen's Universe of Energy. I had them both on our to-do list and then they close them 2 days before we get there. What's up with that? :confused3

Have a great trip Dan!
Thanks much, Patty.

this board will prove to be my "go-to" place for help.
Make sure to visit the planning boards also, Bill, the first 15 or 20 in the forums' list.

Just wanted to say....

We're finally headed back to the S/D, tomorrow!! :cool1: Staying at the Swan. We will be enjoying the resort a lot in the afternoons, escaping the heat and humidity of the parks. We have some good plans each day. It's been too long since I had weeks (maybe months) of planning, and it's been fun.

Taking my daughter and her 2 boys. Will be my daughter's 5th trip, the boys 3rd. My 35th or more. It been 3 1/2 years since I have been there. I have been used to at least one trip a year, often 2. A 3 1/2 year break has been tough. :faint: But we're all set for a good time, heading back home in 8 days.

Enjoy the S/D thread. Maybe I'll have more current answers to questions here when we return.

Does the happy hour menu change, or is it the same every night? Did you try it?

http://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/menus/pdf/bluezoo-happy-hour.pdf

The menu doesn't change. It's a selection of some items from the regular lounge menu.

I ordered a zooberry, crab nachos, and the classico flatbread. (I had a $20 opentable gift certificate to redeem.) Because it was just me, I had plenty of leftovers (like 2/3 of the flatbread that became the next morning's breakfast and 1/2 of the nachos that became the following evening's snack).

I ordered a zooberry, crab nachos, and the classico flatbread. (I had a $20 opentable gift certificate to redeem.) Because it was just me, I had plenty of leftovers (like 2/3 of the flatbread that became the next morning's breakfast and 1/2 of the nachos that became the following evening's snack).

It just dawned on me after you mentioned your gift cert . . . we are planning to eat at Blue Zoo in December. Since Discover's 5% rotating category this quarter is restaurants (and my cash back gets doubled at the end of my first year), I should buy a gift card now for use in December. It should code as a restaurant correct? And not lodging since its connected to the hotel? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Edited: I had initially assumed we would simply charge to our room and pay with our SPG card. But 10% cash back via Discover is better I think.

It just dawned on me after you mentioned your gift cert . . . we are planning to eat at Blue Zoo in December. Since Discover's 5% rotating category this quarter is restaurants (and my cash back gets doubled at the end of my first year), I should buy a gift card now for use in December. It should code as a restaurant correct? And not lodging since its connected to the hotel? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Edited: I had initially assumed we would simply charge to our room and pay with our SPG card. But 10% cash back via Discover is better I think.

I don't know how gift certs purchased from opentable code. I got my certificate free from opentable because i had enough points to redeem. I always charge my dines back to my room to make it easier for the spg points to post.

I don't know how gift certs purchased from opentable code. I got my certificate free from opentable because i had enough points to redeem. I always charge my dines back to my room to make it easier for the spg points to post.

I was thinking I would just call Blue Zoo directly to purchase a gift card instead of going through open table - that is assuming I could do it over the phone and have them mail it to me.

I just upgraded our room at the Swan (booked using SPG points) for March to a Grand Deluxe with a balcony! Now I need to find that link posted a few pages back to place my request for either an Epcot or HS fireworks view. I would never have known the points upgrade was possible without this forum, so thanks! :yay::yay::yay:

I just upgraded our room at the Swan (booked using SPG points) for March to a Grand Deluxe with a balcony! Now I need to find that link posted a few pages back to place my request for either an Epcot or HS fireworks view. I would never have known the points upgrade was possible without this forum, so thanks! :yay::yay::yay:
Can I ask how much it cost? (Points Or $)

Last stay I made a request thru the app under preferences, I believe

We've stayed at the Dolphin several times using my SPG points, but had a subpar experience in June. Our room type wasn't available, so they upgraded us to a small suite- great! But... I was working from the room during the day and the construction noise was AWFUL and lasted all day! No balcony, which was the room type we had booked. :( Adding the lobby construction just made it worse.

All that said, we just booked a last minute trip. Since we are DVC members, we are staying at SSR 8/30-9/2. Cash reservation for the Yacht Club 9/2-9/5. Seriously considering trying the Swan. We've never stayed there. YC is $315 per night. I am watching the Swan rates and if they go below $200 before fees and taxes, I am thinking of switching our reservation. I know they lower the rates as it gets closer when the rooms remain unsold. I have until the 28th to cancel the YC.

Can someone who has stayed at both and prefers Swan tell me why they like it better? TIY!

We've stayed at the Dolphin several times using my SPG points, but had a subpar experience in June. Our room type wasn't available, so they upgraded us to a small suite- great! But... I was working from the room during the day and the construction noise was AWFUL and lasted all day! No balcony, which was the room type we had booked. :( Adding the lobby construction just made it worse.

All that said, we just booked a last minute trip. Since we are DVC members, we are staying at SSR 8/30-9/2. Cash reservation for the Yacht Club 9/2-9/5. Seriously considering trying the Swan. We've never stayed there. YC is $315 per night. I am watching the Swan rates and if they go below $200 before fees and taxes, I am thinking of switching our reservation. I know they lower the rates as it gets closer when the rooms remain unsold. I have until the 28th to cancel the YC.

Can someone who has stayed at both and prefers Swan tell me why they like it better? TIY!
I regularly stay at both resorts. In my mind, the major difference in staying at the Swan is that there is no ME, no charging back to the room from parks, Disney shops and restaurants, and no SAB.

As far as the guest rooms, the YC rooms just completed the refurb work, within the last week, or so. The Swan rooms were redone last year. Both have beautiful guest rooms. Of course, the Swan has the heavenly beds, which are the best!

If you are not familiar with the YC, you may want to look at:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...rmation-questions-refurb-news-post-1.3400342/ .
It's a very friendly group, and you will be able to find out everything about the BC and YC.

There is free parking at the YC and no resort fee, unlike the Swan. About 99.9% of the YC rooms have balconies, whereas the Swan has a small number of rooms with balconies. The new YC rooms have no carpet, but rather hard-surface flooring; the Swan's rooms are carpeted. The new beds at the YC have no box spring, and the mattress height is about 6" higher, than normal. Both resorts provide free Dasani water in the rooms (YC leaves a one liter bottle, daily, while the Swan provides four 16.9 oz. bottles, daily). I believe both YC and Swan rooms with King beds have walk-in showers, while the rooms with two queen beds at both have tub with shower head. Of course, accessible rooms may have slightly different layouts.

If you are looking for the best guest experience, without regard to cost, I would probably select the YC over the Swan. If you are looking for a very good experience, while saving some $$, I have no qualms in recommending the Swan. Both are great, and the location can't be beat!

I regularly stay at both resorts. In my mind, the major difference in staying at the Swan is that there is no ME, no charging back to the room from parks, Disney shops and restaurants, and no SAB.

As far as the guest rooms, the YC rooms just completed the refurb work, within the last week, or so. The Swan rooms were redone last year. Both have beautiful guest rooms. Of course, the Swan has the heavenly beds, which are the best!

If you are not familiar with the YC, you may want to look at:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...rmation-questions-refurb-news-post-1.3400342/ .
It's a very friendly group, and you will be able to find out everything about the BC and YC.

There is free parking at the YC and no resort fee, unlike the Swan. About 99.9% of the YC rooms have balconies, whereas the Swan has a small number of rooms with balconies. The new YC rooms have no carpet, but rather hard-surface flooring; the Swan's rooms are carpeted. The new beds at the YC have no box spring, and the mattress height is about 6" higher, than normal. Both resorts provide free Dasani water in the rooms (YC leaves a one liter bottle, daily, while the Swan provides four 16.9 oz. bottles, daily). I believe both YC and Swan rooms with King beds have walk-in showers, while the rooms with two queen beds at both have tub with shower head. Of course, accessible rooms may have slightly different layouts.

If you are looking for the best guest experience, without regard to cost, I would probably select the YC over the Swan. If you are looking for a very good experience, while saving some $$, I have no qualms in recommending the Swan. Both are great, and the location can't be beat!

Thank you so much for your review!!!! I was asking more about Dolphin vs Swan, but I find this info even more helpful since we haven't stayed at the YC either!

I love having a balcony, which is never a guarantee with Swan and Dolphin. Unless Swan drops significantly, we will likely stay with YC. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter