war? and travel concerns?

goofeyshell

Mouseketeer
I am wondering if I am the only one with travel concerns and the possible war. I guess I am looking for reassurance from others who have traveled during a crisis. :(

Hard to give you reassurance on something that nobody knows about.

We are going in December, went on booking and budgeting. All we can hope is that we'll have a safe trip and return, and a jolly vacation.

Take it a day at a time, life goes on. And plan like everything will be OK. We've endured a lot as a nation and individuals and will continue to endure whatever comes...

for the reply.....I probably wouldn't be so concerned but we leave at the end of the month and there is so much uncertainty right now.

During the Gulf War I had a job that required me to travel about 300 days a year. Life goes on.

However, I decided not to take a spur of the moment (for me--I plan years in advance!) trip to the UK next month that I had considered taking.

Anne

Right after 9/11, we flew to wdw in December. When we asked our 12 yr old DD if she was afraid to go, she replied, "We aren't going to let a bunch of idiots ruin our vacations for the rest of our lives, our we? We never thought twice about it again.

While I might reconsider a sightseeing trip to--let's say--Egypt, I am not about to recosider my upcoming May trip to WDW!!

I guess alot of it will depend whether the impending war stays on foreign soil or is on US soil. We too traveled right after 9/11 (October). We will have to assest all of the issues when the time comes and make whatever sacrifices needed for our safety. Working in Wash. DC puts the issue right in your face each and every day, so maybe it makes us here a little more aware of what's going on, making it a very real, very scarey situation.

goofeyshell, it seems that your post is especially timely. As I type this message the terror threat alert has been upgraded to "high". I'll be traveling to WDW at the end of the month, too. I share your concern, but I don't expect to change my travel plans.

My 2 cents.... We help travelers with bookings and discounts and after 9/11, obviously tourism took a hit. But visitors from the UK continued to come. And visitors that had booked for November and December followed thru on their plans, for the most part. Like the earlier post said, you can't let a fear of the unknown by a bunch of idiots ruin life as we live it in this great country. Life will go on. Think about how the people live their day to day lives in Jerusalem and other locales. We are too strong and resilient to give up our freedoms and successes.

Enjoy your trip - pray for understanding and peace - and enjoy the most magical place on earth in the most wonderful country on the planet.

Dunnthat

I can only imagine what will come out of my DH mouth when he gets home from work. We are leaving for the World 3/5-3/14 and he is a pessimist! I can assume that he will be skeptical about our plans, but as previous posters have said...why let something like this ruin a family trip? We could wait 2 years and something may never happen. I just hope he can see beyond today's news.

You are not alone with your concerns...
We also flew as a family several times after 9-11 and I had no problem, really no fear doing so, but for some odd reason I had a hard time with making flight reservations this time, for our trip in a week. We were looking forward to driving down but I went ahead and booked air and rental car about 2 weeks ago.
I feel that "things" are "coming to a head" right now and I think that a little bit of concern is warranted.
I am fairly positive that we won't change our plans. To put it in common terms, I feel that the the benefits of vacation outweigh the risks of travel.
The fact of the matter is that no one is promised a moment, terrorist attack or not, so I just try to live life the way I want and I will be glad if it works out well, I guess. :wave:
May we all have a safe trip. Amen.

We are flying out tomorrow from MSP to MCO and then onto DCL.
When I got home today I saw the terrorist risk had went to high. I am a nervous flyer to begin with so this is not helping the situation. We will not be changing our plans, but I admit the whole time I am up in the air I will be praying for a safe landing.

We traveled to WDW shortly after 9/11. The day before we were to fly home, our country started bombing Afghanistan. We had our children and DH's parents with us. I must admit we had tredpidation about flying home. Seeing armed National Guardsmen at MCO for the first time jarred us. With two little ones, we couldn't openly discuss our nervousness and I think that actually helped a little...keeping focused on positives. That and a lot of silent prayers!!!;)

I guess in a time of crisis, home seems best....but unless something really major happens, I know we will go too...
The gov't and the media have given us many things to think about and I certainly think about these issues.

I had an interesting conversation with some people from my church about what we were actually doing to prepare our families in the event of some sort of disaster. We haven't really done anything in preparation (such as come up with a communications plan or where to meet up as a family) - mostly because we don't know what it is we are supposed to be prepared for. So we pray and continue on with day-to-day living putting faith in God to protect us.

BTW, someone once mentioned this to me and at the time I didn't have children so it didn't mean much. But he said that when he and his wife had to fly anywhere together, they took separate flights so that in the event of a crash in which one of them perished, their children would still have the other parent. Pretty sobering.

I flew home from WDW on 9/11/2002. Had no problems. I will not let others "win" by me living in fear. I am not saying, everthing is sweet as pie, rather I say be observant of whats going on around you, and live your life. Have fun on your trip (we leave for WDW on 3/7).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter