Warning- daily safety and security room check

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion! I didn't know much about the policy on our last visit, now after reading these threads about the new policy, and people's experiences with it, I feel more prepared. I guess my bad feelings about the whole thing have something to do with the fact that I was made to feel powerless over the process. When I complained to the front desk, they simply rolled their eyes and told me that they WILL be checking every room, every single day. They didn't offer any adaptations or accommodations to the policy and kind of turned away from me to indicate they wouldn't be listening to my complaint anymore. I did nothing to warrant that kind of response; I didn't raise my voice, I wasn't rude, or even angry with the CM. Now, after reading these threads, I see that people can try to schedule the checks. I would have loved to have had that option offered to me.
I plan to opt out of the housekeeping as i'm happy to wipe down in the bathroom myself with my own disinfectant wipes but a little concerned about what exactly is involved in a room security check - I dont really like the idea of someone handling my personal items which I have put in the wardrobe drawers. Is this carried out by one or more security staff? Do they have a master key to open the safe? My suitcase has a security code lock on it - do I need to leave this open ? Has anyone experienced something missing after a security check ?

These are excellent questions. If Disney was doing genuine security checks they might do some of that. However they are mostly relying on housekeepers to do the checks. It’s mostly glancing around. That’s not to say I believe guests’ belongings don’t go missing sometimes. That’s apparently been going on prior to the new policy.

Hi Karen: We'll be going to WDW early December and I will report on this too. It's encouraging to read that Disney may be altering this policy.

Interested to hear how it goes in December for you!

Thank you so much! Yes, we really want to go back to CBR where we fell in love 4 years ago, but if the policy doesn't become "kinder", then it will be a no-go. I hope you & all the others going will have wonderful experiences!

Same here- would love to stay at Disney again, but not if I have to worry about being disturbed when I'm sleeping or showering- or just resting!

I haven’t read through this thread, but our experience with the security checks is that I don’t feel they do much for security. Now, I don’t know what they check when we’re not in the room, but the times we are there they come in and check the trash can under the sink in the villa. And then leave within a minute. Before I read here about the checks, I was confused when this happened, since we rent DVC and I knew we didn’t get daily housekeeping. That’s what I thought it was!
Anyway, I just think it’s ridiculous. Does the “security” person see my 60 year old husband and determine he is not a threat? Exactly what do they think they are going to find by doing this? I would think if there was a person intent on causing trouble they would do everything to hide their intentions.
What does Disney think this accomplishes, besides angering their guests?

Is there a not before and not after time for housekeeping or security checks? Nice to know should I decide to have a late start one day or if my grandson needs an early night when I wouldnt want someone walking into the room when we are in bed.

Is there a not before and not after time for housekeeping or security checks? Nice to know should I decide to have a late start one day or if my grandson needs an early night when I wouldnt want someone walking into the room when we are in bed.
Housekeeping is typically 8-4, but apparently there are housekeepers on-site 24/7. But they do the actual work during normal working hours.

You should absolutely ask for the time that works the best for you or your grandson day or night. Good luck!

I plan to opt out of the housekeeping as i'm happy to wipe down in the bathroom myself with my own disinfectant wipes but a little concerned about what exactly is involved in a room security check - I dont really like the idea of someone handling my personal items which I have put in the wardrobe drawers. Is this carried out by one or more security staff? Do they have a master key to open the safe? My suitcase has a security code lock on it - do I need to leave this open ? Has anyone experienced something missing after a security check ?
Lol, I prefer to clean everything myself too. I didn't notice anything missing, it was more an issue of a few things were moved and I noticed. Like the privacy curtains would be fully open when we had left them mostly closed. Same with the bathroom door. Like I said in my post, in our rush to get to the parks in the morning we had left our table mostly covered by tour books, various pamphlets, a couple boxes of granola bars, etc., and all that stuff was pushed out of the way so that a birthday card could be displayed on the table. Stuffed animals were moved around (I know some people find this charming but I find it intrusive and weird, part of the reason why I don't like housekeeping coming into the room). Just about every day we would come back to the room and something felt off and I'd kind of internally freak out until I figured out what was different; I knew they had been in there but we never actually saw anyone.

There is no excuse for the attitude you got at the front desk. I would send an email to Disney with those details. It sounds like Disney has made some adjustments to the policy since your trip in March. I believe guests have called and emailed Disney execs, maybe changes have been made in response. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes- it's always a good idea to reach out to Disney! :thumbsup2

Lol, I prefer to clean everything myself too. I didn't notice anything missing, it was more an issue of a few things were moved and I noticed. Like the privacy curtains would be fully open when we had left them mostly closed. Same with the bathroom door. Like I said in my post, in our rush to get to the parks in the morning we had left our table mostly covered by tour books, various pamphlets, a couple boxes of granola bars, etc., and all that stuff was pushed out of the way so that a birthday card could be displayed on the table. Stuffed animals were moved around (I know some people find this charming but I find it intrusive and weird, part of the reason why I don't like housekeeping coming into the room). Just about every day we would come back to the room and something felt off and I'd kind of internally freak out until I figured out what was different; I knew they had been in there but we never actually saw anyone.

Almost tempted to take our nanny cam teddy bear which is motion activated - would I have to advise Disney as it would only be recording what is happening in my room ?
interesting question. If somebody recorded you performing your assigned work, without your knowledge or agreement, when you have little or no say in what or how to perform those duties - how would you feel?

interesting question. If somebody recorded you performing your assigned work, without your knowledge or agreement, when you have little or no say in what or how to perform those duties - how would you feel?
Not bothered if I am not doing anything wrong. I would say that everyday I am filmed by more than 100 CCTV cameras be they in shops, bars, traffic cameras, buildings private property, banks, walking around Disney World, as well as my phone knowing exactly where I am and what I am doing (confirmed by the ads/emails that I get sent targeted at where I have been or what I have looked up).

I was at Pop a few weeks ago and opted out of mousekeeping. One afternoon around 3:30 while we were waiting out a storm before heading to MNSSHP there was a knock at the door. I knew it was a security check so opened the door wide. The kind CM asked if we required any towels, coffee supplies or anything else. I assured him we were fine for supplies, thanked him for doing the security check and he was on his way. He didn't acknowledge that he was doing a security check but I understood that's what he was doing.

I cannot say that I have ever felt our personal belongings were touched or moved during any of our stays at Pop, except when I was having the room cleaned and they may have lifted items to clean under them.

I am very pleased with what Disney is doing to keep it's guests safe.

I haven’t read through this thread, but our experience with the security checks is that I don’t feel they do much for security. Now, I don’t know what they check when we’re not in the room, but the times we are there they come in and check the trash can under the sink in the villa. And then leave within a minute. Before I read here about the checks, I was confused when this happened, since we rent DVC and I knew we didn’t get daily housekeeping. That’s what I thought it was!
Anyway, I just think it’s ridiculous. Does the “security” person see my 60 year old husband and determine he is not a threat? Exactly what do they think they are going to find by doing this? I would think if there was a person intent on causing trouble they would do everything to hide their intentions.
What does Disney think this accomplishes, besides angering their guests?

I am 68 and my husband is 70, and we get the checks, too, LOL. I don't think age matters, which I agree with. For example, there was a case last week in our small hometown of an older couple (50 s to 60's), stopping teenage girls outside of the mall or grocery store and asking if they wanted to go to a modeling job in the next state! I think younger girls might trust older couples more than some 20 or 30 something male alone. If they are looking for sex trafficking, as has been mentioned several times as a possible cause for these "checks" besides the Las Vegas attack.
I'm not comfortable with them either.

Almost tempted to take our nanny cam teddy bear which is motion activated - would I have to advise Disney as it would only be recording what is happening in my room ?

Can you update if you do this? I have been tempted to set up my iPad to record what happens in the room when I am not there as well.

I've stayed at Disney 3 different times since these so called "security checks." I truly believe that they are a waste of time.

But, I've never felt that they have bothered any of my personal belongings.

Yes, they have opened doors, or closed them, opened drapes, pushed in chairs and the like. But never have I found that they have moved anything of mine.

They didn't even put Pooh Bear upright. They left him upside down. Or at least the pillow with his picture on it.

Not bothered if I am not doing anything wrong. I would say that everyday I am filmed by more than 100 CCTV cameras be they in shops, bars, traffic cameras, buildings private property, banks, walking around Disney World, as well as my phone knowing exactly where I am and what I am doing (confirmed by the ads/emails that I get sent targeted at where I have been or what I have looked up).

Even if you were in a place that you knew did not have company cameras installed? Say you worked as a receptionist. How would you feel if a patron took it upon themselves to put a camera on you to make sure you were not stealing?

I'm not sure what the law is, but this is not your own house. So things you can do there may not apply to a hotel room you are in effect renting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!