Warning- daily safety and security room check

Lol, I prefer to clean everything myself too. I didn't notice anything missing, it was more an issue of a few things were moved and I noticed. Like the privacy curtains would be fully open when we had left them mostly closed. Same with the bathroom door. Like I said in my post, in our rush to get to the parks in the morning we had left our table mostly covered by tour books, various pamphlets, a couple boxes of granola bars, etc., and all that stuff was pushed out of the way so that a birthday card could be displayed on the table. Stuffed animals were moved around (I know some people find this charming but I find it intrusive and weird, part of the reason why I don't like housekeeping coming into the room). Just about every day we would come back to the room and something felt off and I'd kind of internally freak out until I figured out what was different; I knew they had been in there but we never actually saw anyone.

I too clean everything down with Clorox wipes when I arrive, do what I can to check for bedbugs, etc. I prefer not to have a person I don’t know and might not even ever see handle my belongings, toiletries, etc. They can remove my trash, glance around in the room bathroom, kitchen etc., bring me towels and coffee supplies, but leave my stuff from home or that I purchase or have delivered locally alone please. That is all I ask.

Last edited:
I was at Pop a few weeks ago and opted out of mousekeeping. One afternoon around 3:30 while we were waiting out a storm before heading to MNSSHP there was a knock at the door. I knew it was a security check so opened the door wide. The kind CM asked if we required any towels, coffee supplies or anything else. I assured him we were fine for supplies, thanked him for doing the security check and he was on his way. He didn't acknowledge that he was doing a security check but I understood that's what he was doing.

I cannot say that I have ever felt our personal belongings were touched or moved during any of our stays at Pop, except when I was having the room cleaned and they may have lifted items to clean under them.

I am very pleased with what Disney is doing to keep it's guests safe.

This reminded me of the service we got at the hyatt in Paris back in may. We used points and it was a bit fancier tham where we normally stay and had turndown service that was really a 2nd housekeeping of the day. We always try and stay tidy but have a lot of products. When we came back after the first service the person had arranged our stuff on different wash cloths and put some stuff on a shelf to help organize. I didn't think anything other than cool!

I get the difference because one is a service of the hotel and aside from that they didn't really touch anything anywhere else.

I'm not worried about the checks, we're out of the room most of the time but I am running the half in Nov so I'll figure out what I need to do to make sure they don't come until after 11am since I'll have come back to shower and be gone again by then. We will opt out of housekeeping, while the above was nice, it's not necessary and I'd rather have the extra gc.

I'm not worried about the checks, we're out of the room most of the time but I am running the half in Nov so I'll figure out what I need to do to make sure they don't come until after 11am since I'll have come back to shower and be gone again by then. We will opt out of housekeeping, while the above was nice, it's not necessary and I'd rather have the extra gc.

The one and ONLY room check I experienced on our last trip was about 11 AM after I had run the princess half this year. I was in process of getting ready and the cast member who did the room check looked at all the runDisney stuff around the room and quickly exited. This was at Caribbean Beach. I'm running the half in November, and I'm staying at the Dolphin, partially in hopes of avoiding the post-race room check.

The one and ONLY room check I experienced on our last trip was about 11 AM after I had run the princess half this year. I was in process of getting ready and the cast member who did the room check looked at all the runDisney stuff around the room and quickly exited. This was at Caribbean Beach. I'm running the half in November, and I'm staying at the Dolphin, partially in hopes of avoiding the post-race room check.
So what exactly is the purpose of a security check, if it is a glance around the room. Surely if someone has something to hide, it will not be placed on a table or the bed or immediately visible if a wardrobe is opened.

I opt for spg points at the Dolphin in lieu of HK. No room checks.

A friend and I are at the Poly. We came back for a break yesterday afternoon and she heard her iPad singing in her bag when she got notifications, same time as her phone. She swears she turned it completely off when she was on the plane to conserve battery. Our trash was picked up, so they did the room check.

A friend and I are at the Poly. We came back for a break yesterday afternoon and she heard her iPad singing in her bag when she got notifications, same time as her phone. She swears she turned it completely off when she was on the plane to conserve battery. Our trash was picked up, so they did the room check.

What are you insinuating? That Housekeeping/Security was playing with her iPad and turned the sound on?

So what exactly is the purpose of a security check, if it is a glance around the room. Surely if someone has something to hide, it will not be placed on a table or the bed or immediately visible if a wardrobe is opened.

Disney will NEVER share the actual reason for these checks.
You are quite correct that any good bad guy will hide any bad objects.
I don't think it is coincidence that they often are checking with guests in rooms.
Perhaps it's not things they are looking at :magnify:

For us personally and I say this from a city person, perfectly okay with park security, metal detectors etc to the point I wish Disney would build Universal's "all guests get checked" system ....... and increase/improve their methods.

Our January trip was impacted by the checks, every single day and one day crossed a line so that after 135+ stays on Disney property, my last 3 stays have been off-property. I am staying on in October because I have a free room staying with DS, but my trips after that are also booked off property. I will be staying in a block of rooms full of teens, I will be curious how they will react if they are walked in on.

Everyone has their own level of what bothers them, and whether this makes them feel more or less safe.

For us personally and I say this from a city person, perfectly okay with park security, metal detectors etc to the point I wish Disney would build Universal's "all guests get checked" system ....... and increase/improve their methods.

And for us personally, I am perfectly NOT okay with park security, metal detectors etc and I wish Disney would abandon them. They are a security problem in and of themselves as they coral guests into a small space creating a perfect target. The only benefit they serve to actual safety is by the presence of the security personnel themselves, which they could do without treating all their guests like criminals. As has been noted elsewhere multiple times, the shooting at the club a couple years ago, the shooter was reportedly initially going to target Downtown Disney but didn't because of the amount of security personnel. It was NOT because of the presence of metal detectors/bag searches/etc., as there weren't any. They have plenty of eyes in the sky to watch anyone that the front security personnel sees as a risk.

Everyone has their own level of what bothers them, and whether this makes them feel more or less safe.

Very true, as noted above. Then the debate becomes, is it more important to "feel safe" or "be safe". For some, its the former, but I think that only gives you a false sense and makes you MORE at risk. To me, its the latter but none of what Disney is doing is at the hotels or at the front gates is providing me with either. And the real fear is that their own people might start relying more on the false security up front, and become less diligent inside where it matters.

As for the hotels. Stranger danger. I don't care if they are wearing a Disney uniform or name tag. No one is coming in my room while I am there alone.

And for us personally, I am perfectly NOT okay with park security, metal detectors etc and I wish Disney would abandon them. They are a security problem in and of themselves as they coral guests into a small space creating a perfect target. The only benefit they serve to actual safety is by the presence of the security personnel themselves, which they could do without treating all their guests like criminals. As has been noted elsewhere multiple times, the shooting at the club a couple years ago, the shooter was reportedly initially going to target Downtown Disney but didn't because of the amount of security personnel. It was NOT because of the presence of metal detectors/bag searches/etc., as there weren't any. They have plenty of eyes in the sky to watch anyone that the front security personnel sees as a risk.

Disney will never abandon security checks just like any stadium, large theater, concert hall, airport won't ... anywhere is seen as a target and that won't change. Many of those places have the same exact process of Disney except they make EVERYONE submit to the process instead of randomly asking someone strolling by AND worse letting those who aren't inspected bypass the metal detector as well. "Be Our Guest, leave you bags at home, tuck your weapon in your pants". Disney is no more safe, no less a target than any other place. Security will remain.

What would make it more effective is to treat everyone the same, and THEN the bad guys know there are no exceptions. Agree Disney needs to look at safer ways to handle the process out front because that is where it needs to happen. Epcot is especially unsecure with advantage points and hopefully DHS will change with new construction up front.

But once in the park .... good luck. That is why it has to happen at the front security and anyone questionable stopped before the turnstile.

As I said, the debate is whether it is more important to feel safe or to be safe. I said I wished they would abandon them. I do see it as possible at some point in the future (maybe 10+ years) when enough people finally realize it is all just for show, but not in the immediate future. Or when they realize they are driving away more business than they think they are saving in insurance costs. Or when people get fed up enough that their freedoms are being crushed. While I know some large stadiums and theaters have metal detectors, etc., not all do and I have been fortunate enough to not experience the ones that do (and I HAVE been to an NFL stadium, but not for an NFL event - the only thing they enforced was the silly clear bag rule, otherwise no searches, frisks, etc). I set metal detectors off about 30% of the time because of orthopedic parts here and there inside me -- including setting Disney's off inconsistently. I shrug and tell them it's a metal rod in my arm and they wave me on (Disney, state capital building, city hall, have all waved me on -- maybe I look innocent). How safe is that? Maybe that's why they don't make me feel safe and why I seriously doubt their effectiveness in general. Subjecting everyone to the metal detectors does not increase effectiveness, just increases the size of the easy target. The bad guys don't care if they do their bad deeds inside the gates, or just outside. And seriously, they can still very very easily do their bad deeds inside the gates. Unless they are going to put everyone and all their bags, strollers, wheelchairs, etc., thru an xray machine, super dooper easy to get bad things in if you're a bad guy intent on doing bad (granted, you might have to be a smarter than average bad guy).

But back to what the thread is suppose to be about. Room intrusions. Considering that the front desk grilled me at last check in (expedia reservation) to make sure that ONLY two people were in the room, housekeeping would be sufficient to see signs of too many people in the room, and since the bottom line is what Disney seems the most concerned about lately, being afraid of missing out on the extra adult fees and such might be what they are truly looking for.

Last edited:
And for us personally, I am perfectly NOT okay with park security, metal detectors etc and I wish Disney would abandon them. They are a security problem in and of themselves as they coral guests into a small space creating a perfect target
Small groups, short time, extremely fluid. Probably not what a terrorist or crazy person seeks.
As for the hotels. Stranger danger. I don't care if they are wearing a Disney uniform or name tag. No one is coming in my room while I am there alone.
Then you can try scheduling a time range, or step out of the room until the person about whose background Disney has infinitely more information than that of any visitor) leaves.
Or when they realize they are driving away more business than they think they are saving in insurance costs.
Specific visitors perhaps, but Disney is busier and more popular than ever. I doubt they're losing revenue.
and since the bottom line is what Disney seems the most concerned about lately,
As a successful business with a multitude of shareholders, Disney has always been most concerned about the bottom line.

Last edited:
We've been out most of the days so far, so if people are entering our room I don't know about it. If I need to change I go in the bathroom so there's no chance of people seeing me in my delicates.

We stayed Sept 8-17 at movies, we were never bothered by anyone, most days we were at the park by 10, other days stayed by pool, or came back to take nap- shower, never had anyone knock.

Considering that the front desk grilled me at last check in (expedia reservation) to make sure that ONLY two people were in the room, housekeeping would be sufficient to see signs of too many people in the room, and since the bottom line is what Disney seems the most concerned about lately, being afraid of missing out on the extra adult fees and such might be what they are truly looking for.

You may be on to something. I know i know it’s industry wide but any extra adults would be forking out to Disney big bucks on park tickets, event tickets, food, etc. At most hotels elsewhere, the only costs you incur are room related charges, you spend your entertainment, transportation, and food dollars elsewhere.

You may be on to something. I know i know it’s industry wide but any extra adults would be forking out to Disney big bucks on park tickets, event tickets, food, etc. At most hotels elsewhere, the only costs you incur are room related charges, you spend your entertainment, transportation, and food dollars elsewhere.

I am also wondering if the room refurbishments have anything to do with these security checks. I can see Disney trying to nip the room destruction in the bud with these daily checks. To avoid the specter of any particular persons or groups being targeted for room checks Disney might need to do them on all rooms "just to be fair".

So let's recap what room checks "accomplish" possibly from Disney's perspective although Disney has never said why they are checking the rooms.
Monitor for:
Human Trafficking.
Crazed mass murderer(s).
Too many people or adults using the room.
Room destruction.
illegal drug use or manufacturing (Meth Lab) ...

and finally let's not forget about a Dis Boards favorite... using the coffee machine to make hot dogs although, with a Keurig machine, it is proving to be quite the challenge to cram a package of hot dogs into the pod receptacle.

~NM
PS. All the crazed mass murderers are currently working Halloween Horror Nights at Universal so that should make Housekeeping feel better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter