• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning: WDW road construction causes serious delays!

theOCdisney

Mouseketeer
We just returned from a wonderful inaugural trip as owners. I will post a full trip report later today, but I wanted to warn about road construction that caused us major delays. I gleaned so much valuable info from these boards, that I wanted to give back to those of you leaving soon.

Buena Vista Drive is completely closed (both directions) at the 536 underpass. This is a major artery of WDW and oh my, did it cause problems for the bus drivers. I asked about the shutdown and received different answers. One person said that they were redoing the overpass and it would be closed for quite some time and someone else said that they were just fixing the road and it would open soon. (Very vague!) The closure began on Monday, 9/10.

It appeared that the bus drivers did not receive adequate instructions in how to get around the road closure. On Monday morning (the first day of the closure) we had a car and drove on highway 536. Near the entrance to WDW there was a Disney bus that had obviously made a wrong turn and ended up outside the park. He had tried to make a U-turn to return and was stuck in the grass on the median. There was quite a crowd of Disney employees standing around the bus scratching their heads.:confused: The back end of the bus was buried deep into the grass. Monday night the traffic was horrendous trying to get from the Yacht Club to Downtown Disney. It took us 1 hour!:headache:

The next day, Tues. we were going home. We scheduled the Disney Magical Express for 11:00. The bus didn't arrive until 11:15. The driver was very harried and explained he was late because of the road closure. He turned right out of Saratoga Springs and went past the bus stop at Downtown Disney. He was in the left turn lane at Buena Vista Dr. to leave WDW. For some reason he chose to go right (out of the left turn lane) and we passed DTD. He came to the road closure and turned right at Bonnet Creek Pkwy. Because of the traffic it took 20 minutes to get to this point! We ended up at the intersection of Disney Vacation Club Way (where if you turn right you pass Old Key West and go to SSR). I'm not sure why he did not go left out of SSR if he was going to end up at this point anyway!:rolleyes1 He then proceed past the detour left turn! He drove past Port Orleans Resort and then realized his mistake. So then he came to a turn-about and literally pulled out infront of an oncoming bus and car :eek: :scared: :scared1: He attempted the turn as if he were driving a small compact car. My daughter and I had a perfect view of how close the oncoming traffic was to us as he could not make the U-turn and had to back-up. There was a collective gasp from the passengers on the bus as he pulled out. My jaw was on my chest at how irresponsibly he was driving!!:mad: It ended up taking 45 minutes to get out of WDW property!!!

Up until this point we had been so impressed at the ease and convenience of using Disney transportation. It seems that as long as there is nothing unusual it moves very effieciently, but if there is something out of the ordinary, the drivers don't know what to do. I'm sure the bus drivers were very frustrated, but hello, don't put lives in danger.

We really had a great time, but I had to vent this and didn't want to include it in my trip report. We decided the Disney Magical Express ride was the real E-ticket ride!:rotfl:

Lisa

Wow! Buena Vista Drive is not easy to bypass. This will be especially important for those staying at the Epcot resorts. I sure hope it is over before December!

that does not sound like fun. and I am leaving this sunday!

oh well it is not close to AKV and that is where I am staying!

wonder if another truck driver hit the thing again.

Wow, sounds like a mess! Thanks for the headsup. I avoid that part of BV Dr. like the plague anyway but will be more careful to do so if the closure lasts.

Looking forward to your report.

We were there too and just came home Tuesday as well. For those driving their own cars I would say not to worry to much. There are clear signs in all directions pointing out the alternate routes. We had absolutely no problems navigating them.

I think OP had it completely right - it sounds like the bus drivers just were not well informed about the construction.

Thanks for the report, Lisa! We're going to OKW on Tuesday, and renting a car. Now we won't get stuck at the closure on our way to check in :)

Peter

We had a similar problem on Monday evening. The SSR bus picked us up at MGM Studios EMH about 10:30. When the driver hit the detour he told us the contractor was not supposed to begin work until 3:00 am on Tuesday morning.

Our driver wound up taking the bus off property. We went west bound on I-4 then back World Drive to Vista Blvd to Bonnet Creek to Buena Vista. We entered SSR at the entrance closest to DTD Marketplace/Congress Park.

Our trip took 35 minutes. DW and I were the only persons on the bus. We had a really nice conversation with the driver.

Is there a way to bypass this area? If so what is it? Thanks!

If you are entering WDW from I-4 or route 417, take the Osceola Parkway exit instead of route 536. Otherwise, if you don't know what you're doing either avoid DTD or be prepared for delays. Buena Vista is the major E-W drive and it's hard to live without.

I hope future visitors will keep us posted. We will be there in 3 weeks and staying at SSR.

you can get to the MK - back way without it.

but getting to the other passes would be difficult.

so just stick to the buses.

oh being stupid - turn left - go through the traffic light - you are on world drive - it goes to all the parks.

I think OP had it completely right - it sounds like the bus drivers just were not well informed about the construction.

don't know. some bus drivers seem to like the route they were shown and told to do.

when you ask them to change to something else - well it is upsetting.

Thanks for posting this information.

We're driving in next month, and will be coming from I-75, then the Turnpike to 429 South to Buena Vista Drive.

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate route?

wouldn't you think with all the fancy-schmancy GPS routing technology that they just installed in the buses, the routes could be programmed to avoid this road?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter