• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

watch Alamo and addl insurance

juju

DIS Veteran
Recently rented a car from Alamo for the first time at MCO. The rep asked if I wanted to purchase any of the addl insurance, I specifically said that I didn't wish to purchase any insurance, he then said,"so you want the minimum" which I interpreted as the same thing so I agreed and then initialed all of the proper spaces. When I went out to pick up the car, I noticed that the price was a lot higher than the quote that I had online and noticed that I had been charged for insurance at approx $10 a day. I accept this as my fault for not paying attention, but the bottom line was that I was able to have it changed when I went thru the booth on the way out of the garage.

This can happen at any car rental place. You must be firm and specifically state you want to decline all their insurance options. Always check your contract before you leave the desk -- in fact, before you sign anything.

Absolutely-I've found Alamo to be a little more
persistent than others though.

Dollar Fastlane-you opt whether or not you
want the insurance right on your application,
so it's not usually a problem-but it pays to
always read your contract before you sign.

You're right -- Alamo personnel seem to be doggedly persistent. When they were the preferred rental company of my employer, I frequently resorted to asking: "What part of no do you not understand?" :confused: A couple of times I asked to speak to a manager to see if that individual would understand the words "I decline." :rolleyes: Fortunately, our company switched from Alamo to Hertz -- no more problems! Hertz employees understand the word "no."

We've gotten Alamo through Priceline a couple of times, and I haven't found them to be very persistent. Maybe it's because they figure us Priceliner users are penny-pinchers :D
They were more persistent trying to get me to upgrade our vehicle, but that price to do that wasn't very good. But on one of our trips, we arrived at the same time as an international flight, and many of the passengers were using Alamo. While I was doing our paperwork at the counter, hubby was listening in to the other transactions, and he said they pushed the international people VERY HARD for the insurance.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We're renting with Alamo in May, and just to be on the safe side, I'm bringing a copy of my Ins. Policy AND a letter from my Ins. Company regarding my policy, stating that my policy covers rental cars.

I don't think they still have this benefit but several years ago Alamo let you come back within 24 hours and change your mind about accepting or declining one or more of the insurances/waivers. The change would apply to the entire rental.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Just say "NO" and read before you initial. That phrase
,"so you want the minimum"
was pretty tricky.
Thank goodness for Quick Silver, they never ask you about insurance(if you don't have a kiosk to go through).

We had the same exact thing happen in January. I had made the reservation but DH went to the counter by himself. He didn't even realize the price difference until I saw the receipt a couple of days later.

Sometimes things get added on even when you say no!
When we got Avis via Priceline, we nixed the add-on gas refill option and filled the car ourselves before we returned it. I also reminded the person when I checked it in that we should not be charged for gas because I had just filled it. However, while we were waiting at the airline gate, we noticed that it had been added on the receipt (they had charged our charge card on file without even asking for a signature from me). Fortunately they were very good about removing the charge with no problem when I called. I think it was just an oversight rather than a scam, but be sure to watch because mistakes can easily happen!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

It is kind of like the little trick salesmen will give you: "What type of extended warranty do you want, the two year or three year?"
You have to firmly say NONE.

Before you leave the counter at the start of your rental, check the form you are signing for a preliminary list of charges and taxes and a preliminary total cost. If this list is there, it will usually show any added insurances and mistakes so you can stop and point it out. Also read everything before you sign.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first premium annual pass
12/98 Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & PAP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 Motel 6 & ASSp & PAP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned
* off site

Even with Priceline reservations Alamo has been VERY persistent in pushing their add-on insurance to the point of telling me I wouldn't be covered through my own insurance even though I had checked with them before I left. The bottom line is that I had to get very rude and in their face the way they were in my face in order to have them back off. Just check with your own insurance company, have your insurance card and policy handy in the event that you do have an accident, and refuse their coverage no matter what they try to tell you. They make HUGE commissions on the sale of extra things like insurance, upgrades, etc. so they try to push them as much as they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter