• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

water damage large

twinmomplus2

DIS Veteran
well today was such a nice day, we decided to do yard work. I was outside for about 3 hours hose running on and off. Well it was the first time this spring I turned on the hose. Let me say never use the hose with out checking inside after a short time.....It seems at some point this winter the pipe from house to outside fitting broke. so every time I turned the hose on. the water shot through my fineshed basement. $50 grand a year ago......Mt teen daughters bedroom all her things a very expensive Broyhill bedroom, computer, the toy room. I never would have thought this could happen, we have been homeowners 17 years, and never heard of this happening....The long and short It is supposed to be covered as the broken fitting is on the inside of the foundation. there for considered inside water. But, If extraction of the water is not successful from my brand new rugs, they may have to rip it all out including the sheet rocked ceiling and walls. I am just sick over it..... such a weird thing, Anyway just venting.....I guess its laugh or cry. I will choose to laugh it is done and I least I did not turn on the sprinklers and go out to lunch like I almost did>>>>.

Oh how awful :(. I'm so sorry :(.

With water damage, if your insurance will pay for it, I'd probably rip everything out to prevent mold problems.

Best of luck getting it all taken care of quickly.

Teresa

Water damage is the worse!!!! I know what you're going through. Most of the damage from fire is not the fire, but from the
water to put out the fire.

I'm sorry for your problem....it was such a nice day in Mass on Monday too!

Twinmom--sorry to hear about your home's damage. Good luck with the re-building and the insurance company. I used to personal lines insurance (Auto, home, etc..) and then worked in the claims area so if you have any questions I might be able to help or offer some ideas.

Taylor1293 made a really good point about the mold issue--something to consider when talking to the claims rep.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I totally understand! I hope everything dries out successfully. We once had a hot water heater flood our finished basement, and also had a flood this month.

While we were at Disney world 2 weeks ago our cat sitter called to tell us our basement power had gone out. Our sump pump shut off, and the basement had about 1/4 inch of water. She got it running again, but another problem caused it to shut down the next night.

By the time DH got home & was able to get someone to remove the water, the carpet was ruined. It took 4 days of heavy equipment to dry the sheetrock. And none of it is covered by insurance. I would love to have our playroom/party room back, but with a baby due in June, and a new kitchen just installed, it'll have to wait. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter