Water shoes for the water parks.. Our story

MickeyMouse'sBFF

Mouseketeer
For all of you who are wearing water shoes at the water parks, heres what happened to us.
I read on here that they are a MUST~
So off I went and bought some for me and the kids. My DH said thanks, but no thanks~ K So when we were playing on the floating iceburgs at blizzard beach, the lifegueard said how wonderful those shoes are and they are a great tool to get across these iceburgs. We agreed. Then over to the rope drop that you land in the pool. My son who CAN swim dropped into the pool only to find he couldnt. The lifegueard blew her whistle and plop..into the water she went. Pulled my son out and fussed at me for him wearing water shoes. I was thinking, HUH~? :confused: Apparently they fill with water and dont allow you to swim real good in water. I was surprised, who woulda thunk it?:confused3 Not I~
So, for all you out there wearing those great water shoes and have em on your kids too, be careful and dont think they can keep them on at all times for all places in the water parks. Its just not so. (maybe a sign would help on each ride) :idea:

Huh, interesting. I was wondering if I should get water shoes for my kids for the waterparks...I really didn't want to spend the money on them. Thanks for sharing.

Another reason not to wear water shoes, or at least make sure they don't give you blisters...

My friend & I wore water shoes to Blizzard Beach several years ago. They were new, and my friend's gave her blisters on the backs of her heels. She was fine at the park, and later when we got back to the room she put band-aids on them and didn't think any more of it. A few days later (after we were home, thankfully) her foot swelled up to double it's normal size! She went to the doctor and her foot had gotten infected from the blister, he said probably due to being moist and then having a band-aid put on it worsened the infection. He gave her some strong anti-biotics and she had to use a crutch to walk for about a week because her foot was so swollen.

So be careful of open wounds in the water parks, and if you get blisters don't keep them covered up with band-aids, let them "breathe."

I wear Keens at water parks now, I think they're more comfortable than water shoes. I wear them to walk around and usually on the tube slides they let you keep them on. Going down the body slides I either hold them or leave them with someone else who isn't riding. I find the concrete too hot walk around barefoot.

Yea, we had a little fun with the blister thing too from them. The insoles came loose from them too. I mean, I guess you pick your battles there at the water park. Rough ground on your tootsies, or blisters on yer heals, eh? I would prob. still wear mine again, but your not seeing my bootie flying off those drop lines into any big pool either~ I like the ol lazy river pool that circles the park just fine thanks* :thumbsup2

I'm glad to hear your son was rescued. How scary!

Do most people walk barefoot all day at Blizzard Beach? I'm planning a BB day and wonder what people all do for footwear. I figure the park is large so running back and forth to the lockers isn't feasible.

At Blizzard Beach, we wore water shoes that I ordered from Land's End. I have issues with walking into public bathrooms with no shoes on.
Tons of people were barefoot though.

Do most people walk barefoot all day at Blizzard Beach? .

We are.. brought water shoes last year and they were just annoying to have to carry around and when they were wet, I'd just slip around in them.. it seemed easier to just go barefoot :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter