• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ways to help shade the sun from infants

always dreamin'

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to help shade the sun from infants while camping. I'm looking for a way that my DD will be able to play with her toys, etc. outside the camper and yet be shaded from the sun (and possibly insects?!). She will be too young for sunscreen and/or bug repellent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If she is too young for sunscreen, then she is probably just the right size for a pack-n-play. Set it up under an awning or tarp. For insects, a netting from Babies-R-Us worked well for us. If she is too big for the pack-n-play, then I bet there is a sunblock out there for her. In addition, I think it is The Right Start or Sensational Beginnings catalog that carries a sunblocker onesie type suit. All you'd need then was a hat she would keep on her head!

Thank you house_of_princesses. My DD is only 5 months so she is small enough for a pack-n-play. That is a good idea. The only thing I'm concerned about is that our awning doesn't always seem to have a lot of shade under it. Depending on our camp site we may only have shade for a small period of time. I found a small dome tent type thing at Babies-R-Us but I don't think it would be large enough for her to crawl around in and I'm also worried that it may get too hot in there being it only had one mesh side. The pack-n-play would be perfect! Do you know if they make something that can go over a pack-n-play that would help shade the sun? Thanks.

Always Dreamin',

You can purchase outdoor, stand alone awnings or patio covers that are fairly easy to assemble. Any outdoor store would have them. Wal Mart, K Mart, Sam's, etc. will probably be carrying them this time of year as well. We have used small tents on the beach and they do get warm. Not my recommendation. As for a cover for the pack-n-play, I don't think I'd trust that, either. The sun can slant in and it probably wouldn't provide enough sun cover. I've only seen mesh covers. My thought, purchase a portable screen house with movable screen sides. Put her in there with a pack-n-play or play pen, depending on how much room you have to carry these things. HTH! and Happy Trails!

Always Dreamin',

Another thought I had (after I hit the submit button :D ) When she gets a bit older, buy a small, portable high chair you won't mind getting a bit dirty. Putting our little ones in there with a snack while we're cooking, cleaning camp, etc. is a great help. Don't have to worry that the little ones are in danger and gives you a small break, too. HTH!;)

This wouldn't address bugs, but what about just another $5 tarp that you could clothes pin to one side of your awning?

Love the highchair idea. Hmmmm. My two year old thinks he's "big". probably couldn't pull that off with the others running and playing...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter