WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are planning on going to the parks for 4 days but it looks like the tickets we'll be getting are for 4 days with a 5th day free. Given that, we're thinking that we may take our first day in Orlando and head over to one of the parks in the afternoon to get the DAS squared away and maybe ride a couple of rides and see fireworks. The thought was that we could do this so we would be ready to hit the ground running on the first full day. Is this a reasonable idea?

We are planning on going to the parks for 4 days but it looks like the tickets we'll be getting are for 4 days with a 5th day free. Given that, we're thinking that we may take our first day in Orlando and head over to one of the parks in the afternoon to get the DAS squared away and maybe ride a couple of rides and see fireworks. The thought was that we could do this so we would be ready to hit the ground running on the first full day. Is this a reasonable idea?

Yes this is a reasonable idea. If you're eligible to book FP+ ahead of time then you should even set up some FPs for that arrival day. If you can't then when you get your DAS you should ask if you can set up some FPs while you're at Guest Relations (I think you can do it at the one inside the park so if that's where you get your DAS then you might as well).

Yes this is a reasonable idea. If you're eligible to book FP+ ahead of time then you should even set up some FPs for that arrival day. If you can't then when you get your DAS you should ask if you can set up some FPs while you're at Guest Relations (I think you can do it at the one inside the park so if that's where you get your DAS then you might as well).

When we were at GS on Sunday, there was a FP+ kiosk in GS as you walk in, it was to the far right against the window/wall.

And the cm who renewed ds's DAS gave him a starter attraction return time! He chose Buzz.

We are going to WDW for the first time since they started the DAS. Im a bit concerned and confused. We have a large party, 13 and 1 park there will be 16 of us. We have a range of special needs and have always been easily accommodated with the GAC.

My main question, at this time, is for my children that need a stroller as a wheelchair, do they get a DAS card to get times to return or do they just go through the wheelchair access for rides/attractions? Im just trying to prepare them and myself as we separate our large group and go our own way at each park. Our youngest son has cerebral palsy and our youngest daughter has multiple medical needs for the stroller so it is necessary for us to always have it. We purchased a double stroller to accommodate them with the thoughts of Disney. (at home they have their individual strollers as they are more comfortable for them.

I appreciate your assistance with this question.

They just need the stroller as a wheelchair tag. You get it at guest services. You take the stroller through the regular queue unless it's not wheelchair accessible (relatively few). The cm at the front will direct you if you need an alternate entrance.

I hope someone can answer my question. I just read how the new DAS cards work and I think its much better then the old cards because I think it is a more fair way that someone with the card does not just get to skip the line. I have used the old card system before and it is a life saver for me and I hope I will qualify for the new DAS cards.
I have a knee problem and I can walk fine but when it comes to standing in one spot for extended time my knee swells up and then eventually will now bend making walking very painfull and stairs almost impossible. I always used fastpass when possible as long as the wait is 20 min or less I do pretty well but if it is longer I get into trouble if Disney had places for me to sit while in long waits I would be ok or if my family could hold my place in line so I could walk around or go sit and wait then get back in line with them it would work but people look at that as cutting so the das card would help me alot. so my question is with old system my knee problem got me the card I only used it if the line was way to long for me to manage or if fastpas was all out for that attraction how can I find out if my knee disorder is considered to qualify me for a das card. I can get doctors note or physical therapist note if needed.

Thanks for the awesome information on this forum everyone. My daughter has a sensory processing disorder so we have always done the card, mainly so that she can stay in her stroller in the lines. This will be our first time back since the switch and this has definitely relieved much of my fears!
I'm glad I can still utilize the stroller as a wheelchair, this will make our trip still enjoyable and hopefully with minimum melt downs :-)

They will likely tell you to rent a wheelchair.

They told me that the DAS is only used for Autistic children. <-- not saying this is accurate - just what A CM told me.

They will likely tell you to rent a wheelchair.

They told me that the DAS is only used for Autistic children. <-- not saying this is accurate - just what A CM told me.

I do not want to pay for a wheelchair that I only need when waiting in lines longer than 20 min and this would not really be a issue if fastpas was still available I like to walk, I walk for miles with no problem its just standing stationary that is hard. someone just posted on another place about red wheelchairs you can use in line to sit in If that is the case that would work great for me I only need it in long lines 20min or longer. does anyone know anything about these red wheelchairs.

I'm in the same boat as you - we are locals though and typically only go for a few hours several times a week - renting a wheelchair is out of the question.

Some suggested I buy one to defray the cost some. But really in ONLY can't stand on an incline - and I have trouble with the stairs - mostly because people are not patient enough for me to go up and down as slowly as I need to.

I believe the re wheelchairs are if you have to transfer from an ECV - but I could be wrong.

I do not want to pay for a wheelchair that I only need when waiting in lines longer than 20 min and this would not really be a issue if fastpas was still available I like to walk, I walk for miles with no problem its just standing stationary that is hard. someone just posted on another place about red wheelchairs you can use in line to sit in If that is the case that would work great for me I only need it in long lines 20min or longer. does anyone know anything about these red wheelchairs.

The only place I have ever seen wheelchairs at an attraction is pirates of the Caribbean because you have to transfer from a private wheelchair or an ecv into the attraction wheelchair.
I would rent a chair. You can park it if you don't need it and bring it with you if you do. Also you never know if a ride will go down or another issue will make your short wait longer. As for having family wait in line and you joining them, the way the queues are set up that doesn't work.

The only place I have ever seen wheelchairs at an attraction is pirates of the Caribbean because you have to transfer from a private wheelchair or an ecv into the attraction wheelchair.
I would rent a chair. You can park it if you don't need it and bring it with you if you do. Also you never know if a ride will go down or another issue will make your short wait longer. As for having family wait in line and you joining them, the way the queues are set up that doesn't work.

thanks for the info the person who told me about the red chairs thought they were for anyone waiting in the long line that needed it I do not want to drag a chair around all day what a pain I will not sit in it except in lines it is just to cumbersome. I like to be able to get around the park quickly and the chair will slow me down. I know its hard for people to understand this unless you have the same problem walking is not a issue, standing still with pressure for long periods of time is.

thanks for the info the person who told me about the red chairs thought they were for anyone waiting in the long line that needed it I do not want to drag a chair around all day what a pain I will not sit in it except in lines it is just to cumbersome. I like to be able to get around the park quickly and the chair will slow me down. I know its hard for people to understand this unless you have the same problem walking is not a issue, standing still with pressure for long periods of time is.

I understand 100% as I have problems with my knee in the same way. I can walk all day and maybe have a bit of soreness. When I have to stand in one place for too long, my knee can lock up and it can be very painful.

However, this IS a mobility issue and a wheelchair (like it or not) would be the accommodation. I doubt they would give you a DAS because there is something else that can help you and give you access.

I understand 100% as I have problems with my knee in the same way. I can walk all day and maybe have a bit of soreness. When I have to stand in one place for too long, my knee can lock up and it can be very painful.

However, this IS a mobility issue and a wheelchair (like it or not) would be the accommodation. I doubt they would give you a DAS because there is something else that can help you and give you access.

its mobility if you can not walk I can walk all day long I can walk but do you know if they will let you carry a small portable camping stool so you can sit as you need to they have very small triangle folding camping stools would they let you bring one into the parks.

its mobility if you can not walk I can walk all day long I can walk but do you know if they will let you carry a small portable camping stool so you can sit as you need to they have very small triangle folding camping stools would they let you bring one into the parks.

There was discussion of the canes with stools in another thread earlier last week. The disability team emailed that canes with a seat are fine.

I would say bringing something that is just a stool/seat would not be allowed though.

And actual stool? No, they won't allow that. However, they will allow one of the canes with a fold down seat.

I see people with those foldable stools often.

Like this:
mjGV4BBkIcZ9f2xBCOXcJeQ.jpg

However... I think it is technically not supposed to be allowed.

Then again... I see rolling luggage and coolers often too... and those are not supposed to be there.

Point is ~ you never know when they will crack down.

You did mention on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies thread that you do have issues walking at Animal Kingdom and would consider renting a wheelchair for that park. To be honest that does sound like a mobility issue.

I see people with those foldable stools often.

Like this:
mjGV4BBkIcZ9f2xBCOXcJeQ.jpg

However... I think it is technically not supposed to be allowed.

Then again... I see rolling luggage and coolers often too... and those are not supposed to be there.

Point is ~ you never know when they will crack down.

I honestly don't see how that would work and be safe. The lines are pretty much constantly moving albeit slowly and you would unfold it sit down and basically have to pick it up and repeat the process again. And you while sitting you are lower then everyone else and run the risk of tripping people and people running you over especially since it's not like you expect someone to be sitting on a line.

A mobility issue is not simply you can't walk it's anything to do with moving. So yes not being able to stand in one place is a mobility issue. There are lots of times outside of waiting in line for rides where you could potentially be standing still for long periods of time - waiting for a parade, a bus, monorail, ferry. Waiting to get into the park. Waiting on line for food. A das would help in none of these situations but a wheelchair would.

I understand! My hip and knee lock on occasion. I don't need a wheelchair, I need to be able to move! I also have arthritis and when I can't move, sometimes I can't make the FP time window. Because they put the restriction back on the FP where you absolutely have to be there within your time frame, I need the DAS to accommodate me if I can't be where I am suppose to be timely. The DAS is the 'least restrictive alternative.' I got one in October and I pray I have no trouble getting one this spring. If the CM give us grief over getting one, his will be my last annual pass renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter