I am a fan of In n Out, but I do think Shake Shack is better. Just a little more deluxe. I also wish In n Out would cook their fries a bit more—I think you can request that, though.

Joining in!

I always thought we were missing something fantastic but not having In N Out here but it sounds like we aren't lol. I had always thought Chick Fil A was so good because I loved their fries and sauce but now they built one like 5 minutes from me and I've decided it's nothing special and I feel like that's what happens to people with In N Out too.

Thanks for following!

Lol, yeah I really don't think you're missing out if you don't have it.

I mean, you'd better not leave anything out, missy!! I need to know all the foods!!

:rotfl::rotfl:

For you, I have documented all the foods :rotfl:

My mom still says her Einstein's bagel from the airport was one of her favorite things from our trip, LOL!!! Of all the food we had :sad2::sad2:

Sure, we had a lot of delicious meals, but what I really loved on this trip were the bagels. :laughing:

One of these things is not like the others, LOL

It was weird when I went back through. The booth sections had names, but then some of the booths had sub names but sometimes there was only one booth in the section or the sub name was like the same as the area name :lmao:

Ah, there we go!! Back to the Flavors. I love these booth names :rotfl2:

The pretzels looked good, and so did the loco moco. I'm sorry the Latin Flavors booths weren't as good as you'd hoped.

They had ALL the flavors :rotfl:

They were sooo good, that was the only booth for me that wasn't but everything else was really good.

I've been so curious about this, so I'm glad you tried one.

Yeah, I've wanted to try them for a long time, I'd definitely try one again in like actual burger form.

goat cheese is one food I will always veto. I am not picky, but yuck, I just can't get past the smell or taste :crazy2::crazy2:

Oh good, I'm so glad someone else hates goat cheese! It just tastes terrible to me and so many people love it. I'm so glad you won't want to share anything with goat cheese on our trip :laughing:

None of us understood the love for In n Out. We tried it in both southern and northern california, and just were unimpressed. Like you said, the burgers were fine, but the fries were awful. And animal style was so salty, I couldn't eat much of it at all.

I know we talked about it already but yes same!

Same! We have one here that we tried when it was new, and it was just another boring burger place. We have some great local places so it's not even on our radar anymore.

I'm excited to read about the rest of your food adventures. We didn't love much of our Disneyland food, so I hope you guys had good luck.

Yeah, Smashburger is way more boring than any of the others. We have so good ones locally too that I'd definitely go to over those fast food restaurants.

We had some good food at Disneyland, but overall when I think of Disney food on trips I do think of WDW. There's just so many choices there, and I've heard before certain Disneyland food can be better, but I would still give it to WDW we've just had so many good meals there.

I loved In and Out, when my parents lived in Tucson, I always made a point to hit it!! I wish we had them around here! In my opinion way better than the Wendy’s we have around here, ours are not very good!

I agree about 5 guys French fries so delicious and my favorite!!

Maybe that means we have decent Wendy's around here? :rotfl:

They're so good! ::yes::

I am a fan of In n Out, but I do think Shake Shack is better. Just a little more deluxe. I also wish In n Out would cook their fries a bit more—I think you can request that, though.

Yeah, and I think if we did have a Shake Shack locally I might visit it a little more often than I would if we had an In N Out. That's an idea. We actually had to stop there later in the week to grab something quick to eat for Josh, and the fries he got from that one (it was a different location) were cooked better so I think it just depends on the batch. They still weren't great, but they were noticeably better.

Welcome to Moe's (sorry I couldn't help myself).

The festival at SeaWorld looks like a lot of fun. I never would have guessed that they did anything like that there.

Sorry you all didn't love In and Out burger. We are fans, but I think its because its something we eat like every 5 years so its "special." I like you don't like fast food very much but somehow In N Out is my exception. Of course we love 5 guys too! The original isn't far from us and I grew up going there before they were all over the country. Have you all tried D'Luxe burger? We really enjoyed their burgers.

Been lurking. I saw a couple come to the In N Out in Las Vegas in a Limo...the one off the strip. The joints there are good, but my new favorite is Freddy's Custard (steak burgers) best burger ever.

Last edited:

I’m not sure how far you are from Saratoga, but there’s a Shake Shack at the track. Now that track season is almost as long as an Epcot festival, I manage to get that a few times in the summer.

For me they were fine, but not so different than any other fast food burger I've ever had.

Agreed! We went out of our way to try In N' Out on our first trip to California, and it was just ok. Nothing was that exciting, and we haven't felt the need to return again.

In comparison Five Guys has higher prices, but the burgers are bigger and more customizable. However their burgers do leave me feeling a little icky sometimes so I hardly ever get them. Their fries on the other hand are my favorite fast food fries, and I would go out of my way to go there just to get just those so I think that's what sets it ahead of the others.

Once again - agree about the fries at Five Guys! (It's a chain we actually do have in Canada!)

fFglTqbl.jpg

Afterwards we took a break from eating for our tour, but when we made it to the other side of the park we tried a few more dishes.
This makes me miss Hawaii, they have these things called "plate lunches" and it is basically all of these things. Yum!

tZFJqBql.jpg

Josh was surprised that the food was so cheap so I think we got a little more than we needed so we could try more things.

I got:
I wish we had gone to In and Out Burger when we were out there. Glad you liked it!

I agree with him in this case because their "secret menu" is even on their website and they seem to encourage people to order from it yet if you hadn't googled it and had never been to an In N Out you'd never know it was an option.
I agree! Disney puts it on the mobile app... It's not really hidden then, is it?

Welcome to Moe's (sorry I couldn't help myself).

:rotfl:

The festival at SeaWorld looks like a lot of fun. I never would have guessed that they did anything like that there.

Yes it was much better than the Christmas one and the food they normally have! I have heard this festival has good food, but we're never in Orlando during that period so when I heard we'd be in Cali for the last weekend of it, I decided we'd add on a day at Seaworld.

Sorry you all didn't love In and Out burger. We are fans, but I think its because its something we eat like every 5 years so its "special." I like you don't like fast food very much but somehow In N Out is my exception. Of course we love 5 guys too! The original isn't far from us and I grew up going there before they were all over the country. Have you all tried D'Luxe burger? We really enjoyed their burgers.

Yes D'Luxe is so good! It's one of our favorite burgers at Disney.

Been lurking. I saw a couple come to the In N Out in Las Vegas in a Limo...the one off the strip. The joints there are good, but my new favorite is Freddy's Custard (steak burgers) best burger ever.

We have to get to Vegas someday, I've heard so much about the food there!

I’m not sure how far you are from Saratoga, but there’s a Shake Shack at the track. Now that track season is almost as long as an Epcot festival, I manage to get that a few times in the summer.

We're not too far, but I'm not a fan of horse racing. However the one time I went to the track like 8 years ago, that is where I ate! But I've been there in a few other states too.

I agree! Disney puts it on the mobile app... It's not really hidden then, is it?

I do like that. Although with Josh's allergy we can't even use mobile ordering :confused3 I thought I read somewhere they were adding allergy ordering to it, but in DL it didn't look like it yet.

I usually don't read dining reports, but I was way too curious to hear your thoughts about In N Out so I had to join in. For the most part, I definitely agree and I've been there a few times now. It's really nothing spectacular. I do like their animal fries, but I agree with you, my preference is the cajun fries (WITH vinegar) from Five Guys. Five Guys overall is my favorite too, the variety is so much nicer and it tastes a little bit better. I won't say I'd put an In N Out burger as low as a Wendy's burger, it's definitely a bit better quality for me, but I think our feelings are mutual about it: It's all overhyped.

The Story of the Giant Breakfast Burrito
Aka The Blind Burro

While San Diego has a lot of good Mexican food, I looked through a lot of them before I found one that was close by, had good gluten free reviews, and had some things on the menu I really wanted to try which ended up being The Blind Burro. We had planned to have dinner, but when our schedule got messed up by the flight situation and I had to move meals around I looked to see if any restaurants we were going to for dinner served meals earlier in the day too so we could fit it in elsewhere. The Blind Burro also served brunch and unlike some of the other breakfast/brunch places I had looked at took reservations so we wouldn't have to wait in a line and could get to the zoo on time. (Because of the flight changes we had slept in a little, and would not be getting to the zoo first thing; while we were okay going a little later we didn't want to end up waiting somewhere and losing even more time).

When we arrived at the Blind Burro it had just opened and luckily wasn't very busy at all.

IMG_2024.jpeg

We ordered and got our food quickly.
I got the:

Breakfast Burro-ito
3 eggs, carne asada, bacon, onion, rajas, french fries, queso manchego, crema, ranchero sauce, avocado, queso cotija, flour tortilla

With a side of:

Street corn off the cob
crema, tapatio, lime, queso cotija

DC19DEB5-BECC-40B5-9684-B142656FF023.jpeg

giphy (1).gif

My burrito was giant :rotfl: I hadn't expected it to be a giant burrito, and I mostly had to eat it by cutting it up/pulling it apart because it was hard to cut through. I did overall think the flavors were good together, but it needed a little more cheese and I didn't think the bacon and steak mixed super well together. The avocado was also really fresh and delicious.

I got my side because I've never actually had street corn, but I did have a dish at Frontera Cocina that was chips with the kind of topping they put on street corn and they were really really good. However this was a little too spicy for me, although what I did eat of it was pretty good.

Josh got the:

Carne Asada Taco

angus short rib, white onion, cilantro, charred spring onion, taco shop guac

With a side of:

Pinto beans

IMG_8636.jpeg

He liked his, but I don't think he gave me a very detailed description since that's all I wrote in my notes :laughing:

At the end of the meal this is what I still had left :rotfl: :

IMG_2014.jpeg

I feel like I gave it a good try, but I also wanted to save room for these:

Churros
Cinnamon-Sugar, Creme Anglaise Sauce

652EF116-7DD5-4AD5-AF1A-5050D2F18606.jpeg

This ended up being the only place I got churros (spoiler alert) so I'm glad I ended up getting them here. I was getting full, but I ate all of them. These were incredibly delicious. The only ones I've had that even come close are the ones at the Nomad Lounge. They were so good with the creme anglaise. :lovestruc

Tollhouse at the Zoo
Aka Various Snacks #1

This probably doesn't need to be it's own post so I'll add it on here. On the way out of the zoo was a Tollhouse store, and we still had some time before the zoo closed so I decided to get a chocolate chip cookie. But of course they were out of those.

giphy.gif

So I got an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie and a chocolate chip coconut macaron:

IMG_8637.jpeg

The chocolate in the macaron was good, but it wasa bit overly chewy. The cookie was okay, but not really memorable. I would definitely have a better one later in the trip.

Last edited:
I could eat Mexican food every day probably - that food looks delicious.

How could a Tollhouse be out of chocolate chip cookies!

All your options at the Blind Burro look so delicious. California Mexican no matter where you go is always high quality. I'm sad to hear you never got a Disneyland churro because those are *chef's kiss* perfection, but the ones you had sound lovely.

DH believes In N Out Burger is aptly named for a different reason. He was stationed in California as a Marine for a while.

How could a Tollhouse be out of chocolate chip cookies!

That's what I said! Of course that's what the people would want, that's their thing!

I'm sad to hear you never got a Disneyland churro because those are *chef's kiss* perfection, but the ones you had sound lovely.

Yeah that was on my overly ambitious snack list for DL. But these churros were amazing! :lovestruc At WDW you have to try the Nomad Lounge ones if you haven't before! That's what they tasted like and those are the best WDW has.

All of that food looked really good. And that burrito was HUGE! You could have fed an entire family with that.

Yes! I was so surprised when I saw it!

DH believes In N Out Burger is aptly named for a different reason. He was stationed in California as a Marine for a while.

The place was PACKED even at 9pm and the drive thru was wrapped around the area.
This is the only way I've ever seen an In N Out! I liked it when I've gone, good fresh little burgers. I'm not huge into fries anyways so not a big opinion for me. But obviously we haven't felt the need to stop on every Cali trip :) We went on our first trip in 2015, with Zack's family in 2016, and my grandpa and I stopped at one in Phoenix when I visited him in 2017. Haven't been since. But apparently we're going to start getting them here in Denver/Co Springs next year... Let's be honest, my favorite part is that the shakes are so cheap :drinking1
(One of our Lyft drivers also mentioned we were lucky to have White Castle where we're from but I've never had any desire to eat there).
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:
No desire here either. They mix onions in their meat, right? Sacrilege!
I feel like that might be it! We recently got a Chik Fil A, and I’ve heard people rave about it but I’m not really interested in trying anything from there. Chipotle was a around for a bit before we got one, and I didn’t really like anything when I tried there either.
Chains coming is not always good lol. My roommate took me to Chik fila a couple times in college, I didn't get the hype. We got one in Lincoln a couple years back and people were so excited. And Zack really loves Raising Cane's but I'm glad there's none by us because I'm like, basic kinda plain but fresh chicken fingers... and I can't even get ranch to dip them :confused3 We tend to go to Smashburger, Zack is one of those people who gets stuck on a 'new favorite' every so often. I think it's fine and between their little reward system and the fact that I can buy gift cards for 30% off makes my wallet happy and it's like paying McDonald's prices for something better than McDonald's. And I do like the smashfries/tots option. Zack really hates 5 guys but I don't know why :confused3 I think it's fine but don't go out of my way for them. They were also a big deal when they came to NE. I haven't been to a Shake Shack yet. I like Freddy's (I think I saw someone mention that here?) and also Culver's, but Culver's is super inconvenient for us so we haven't been in probably a year. Freddy's doesn't have cheese curds :(

The Blind Burro food looks delicious! Now I want to get back to San Diego!

Uhhh how can Tollhouse be out of chocolate chip????

Also, your DR has reminded me to look for a place for dinner next month near Kennedy Space Center. When Zack and I went at the end of our honeymoon, that was something we didn't look into... Our hotel was right next to the Cocoa Beach Pier and I had in my head it would be more like the area around the Clearwater Beach pier, where every hotel had a restaurant on the beach and tons right across the street... but no. We at at a place on the pier which was okay but just basic fried food and Zack had a migraine so we ended up taking most of it to go. Don't want to repeat that experience with his parents! Or like on our Cali trip with his family between the USS Iowa and Queen Mary.

I'm not huge into fries anyways so not a big opinion for me. But obviously we haven't felt the need to stop on every Cali trip

Not huge into fries? I don't understand :rotfl:

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:
No desire here either. They mix onions in their meat, right? Sacrilege!

I didn't know that! Ew that sounds gross.

And Zack really loves Raising Cane's but I'm glad there's none by us because I'm like, basic kinda plain but fresh chicken fingers... and I can't even get ranch to dip them :confused3

I like Freddy's (I think I saw someone mention that here?) and also Culver's, but Culver's is super inconvenient for us so we haven't been in probably a year. Freddy's doesn't have cheese curds :(

I've never heard of any of these chains :laughing:

Uhhh how can Tollhouse be out of chocolate chip????

That's what I said!

I've never heard of any of these chains :laughing:
Like me and that table service chain you have that I've never heard of :rotfl: that I cant remember now... I just remember Ariane also chimed in on it, I cant remember who's report it was on...

Freddy's and Culvers both do Frozen custard and steak burgers. I'm sure they are both midwestern originally but I do know Culvers started in Wisconsin. Not sure about freddy's but we have one a few mins from the house here.

Raising Canes menus choices are literally like:
3 chicken fingers
4 chicken fingers
5 chicken fingers
(All with fries and texas toast)
Chicken fingers with fries AND Cole slaw.
:crazy2: I hate Cole slaw.

And then they have their own special sauce. If you google copycat recipes they're always like mayo, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce... :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: so they dont even have regular condiments at all, just their sauce.

Not huge into fries? I don't understand :rotfl:
tenor.gif

I'm very picky about fries. They must have the correct ratio of fried outside to potatoey inside lol. I was so much not a fry eater growing up that my fast food meal was always like, cheeseburger and chocolate shake/mcflurry... or a cheese frenchee and shake. Just thinking, I've probably never told you of the amazingly delicious disgusting quintessential midwestern food that is the cheese frenchee. I dont know that I've ever brought them up on the boards. It's like a deep fried grilled cheese and the story is it was invented in Lincoln :D

Hmm, I could go for one right now... :scratchin

Like me and that table service chain you have that I've never heard of :rotfl: that I cant remember now... I just remember Ariane also chimed in on it, I cant remember who's report it was on...

Ooo The Melting Pot? It closed this year :sad: We wanted to go for Valentine's Day again and found out they had closed it last year :sad2:

Raising Canes menus choices are literally like:
3 chicken fingers
4 chicken fingers
5 chicken fingers

So for most of his life my brother ordered chicken and french fries at every restaurant ever and I think he would've loved that :laughing: Luckily, within the last year or so he's branched out to cheeseburgers too :laughing:

I'm very picky about fries. They must have the correct ratio of fried outside to potatoey inside lol.

I am a fry connoisseur ma'am :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!