WDW vacation without the parks?

mialeighs

Earning My Ears
We're taking a 4-night trip to VWL in early February but don't want the expense of park passes. What are your fave things to do that don't involve the parks? We've been many times so unique ideas are appreciated!

Take a carriage ride over at FW. Do a Hidden Mickey search at WL (ask for hint sheet at check-in desk). Take in family movie night and make s'mores (also at WL). Head over to Disney Springs--lots of cool experiences, shopping, and dining there. Golf. Mini-golf.

Visit AKL and check out all the savannas. There are viewing areas all over the lodge. Also, lots of African art in the hallways and there are activities there as well--check out info about them. The hidden Mickey search at AKL is lots of fun.

Lots of boat rides. The one from CR to WL and the fort is great. Movie night at the fort, assuming the weather is good, is also enjoyable.

All this being said, I would have a hard time going to WDW and not having at least one park day!

AoA has a drawing class, there’s campfire with chip and dale at FW, AKL has a free restaurant tour with free samples, watch fireworks from Poly beach, you can go fishing at FW, rent a boat and explore, or do Disney Springs. Not very unique ideas but the they are fun.

this Oct 2020 my family is talking about just going to Universal Studios. We will still use BWV as a place to stay but the lines at Disney are ridiculous anymore.

We have done this! We like to explore the restaurants, shops and sights at other resorts. I can spend an entire day at Disney Springs and eat every meal there! We have done just water parks as well, although that might not work for you in February. I do remember one time going to Blizzard Beach over Presidents' Day weekend in February. It certainly wasn't crowded, and the kids had a blast but my husband and I were freezing! The mini golf courses are fun too!

Smores and tshirts. Smores are free (I believe 5-7 either every night or just certain nights but I can’t remember) and tshirts are like once a weeks typically for a couple hours over the weekend you can pay like $20 to tye dye a shirt and it is a lot of fun.

AoA has a drawing class, there’s campfire with chip and dale at FW, AKL has a free restaurant tour with free samples, watch fireworks from Poly beach, you can go fishing at FW, rent a boat and explore, or do Disney Springs. Not very unique ideas but the they are fun.
AKL has a restaurant tour?! That sounds fun. I'll look into that. I also think some time at FW could be fun. We never spend much time there.

Visit AKL and check out all the savannas. There are viewing areas all over the lodge. Also, lots of African art in the hallways and there are activities there as well--check out info about them. The hidden Mickey search at AKL is lots of fun.

Lots of boat rides. The one from CR to WL and the fort is great. Movie night at the fort, assuming the weather is good, is also enjoyable.

All this being said, I would have a hard time going to WDW and not having at least one park day!
We've done it once before, and it really was a nice trip, but I'm not sure we can manage not going to a park. But with no FP, I'm not sure we would have the patience.

We've never done the hidden mickey search at AKL, so that might be fun.

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

Archery at FW
Horseback riding at FW
Monorail crawl (for drinks/food/desserts/whatever!)
Painting class at TOWL (not sure if this is offered when you will be there)
Afternoon tea at GF
Fireworks cruise
The Void at DS
Spa
Bowling at DS
Surreys at Boardwalk
Evening entertainment on Boardwalk
Lots of different tastings (wine, etc.)

We've done it once before, and it really was a nice trip, but I'm not sure we can manage not going to a park. But with no FP, I'm not sure we would have the patience.

We've never done the hidden mickey search at AKL, so that might be fun.
Well, if you haven't bought park tickets, then you can't book FP+s. But in my recent experiences, it's far easier to book FP+ the night before or the day of than it is at even 30 days beforehand. For example, I just saw a post by someone on the RotR thread who this morning snagged a 12:15 pm FP+ for FoP for today.

But without prebooked ones, yes, you'd have to go with whatever you could get.

There's a ton of stuff to do that's not in the parks--as you can see by the many answers to your original post--so you'll have fun anyway!

edited for typos!

Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DS (DTD), area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DS (DTD) 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

We have done 2 weeks with Disney and never set foot in a park:
2 nights at VB
7 night DCL
5 nights at BWV.

We go every anniversary for just a room stay.

Spend time in the room/lobby - play games
Snack around resorts - find new/exciting snacks and take a day traveling to different resorts to try them
Do magical things for other guests - give a random child a disney pin, pay for someone's meal, give a family a disney gift card, etc. Very fun to add to the magic!

Ice cream at Ample Hills at the Boardwalk.
Mini-golf.
Just ride the resort boats around the lake.
Disney Springs (another place you can ride the resort boats).
Try restaurants you haven't done before.
Ride the skyliner.

Have a great trip!

We go every anniversary for just a room stay.

Spend time in the room/lobby - play games
Snack around resorts - find new/exciting snacks and take a day traveling to different resorts to try them
Do magical things for other guests - give a random child a disney pin, pay for someone's meal, give a family a disney gift card, etc. Very fun to add to the magic!
This sounds amazing! While my DH and I will be getting our first APs this year and planning three trips in my first year after retirement, we are really looking at several trips in the future with no tickets. I love your ideas!

Just to add a little bit more - dine-in movie (love going to the movies on vacation!), and a balloon ride at Disney Springs. Also, transportation challenge! We road all the transport options (except skyliner, couldn't get DH to go for it!) including Minnie Vans. Expensive but so addictive! Oh, and watching fireworks outside the parks. That is so much fun without all the crowds and no park ticket required.

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

Archery at FW
Horseback riding at FW
Monorail crawl (for drinks/food/desserts/whatever!)
Painting class at TOWL (not sure if this is offered when you will be there)
Afternoon tea at GF
Fireworks cruise
The Void at DS
Spa
Bowling at DS
Surreys at Boardwalk
Evening entertainment on Boardwalk
Lots of different tastings (wine, etc.)
Archery sounds super fun. I have no idea what The Void is; I'll have to check that out!

Ice cream at Ample Hills at the Boardwalk.
Mini-golf.
Just ride the resort boats around the lake.
Disney Springs (another place you can ride the resort boats).
Try restaurants you haven't done before.
Ride the skyliner.

Have a great trip!
Oh, yeah! The Skyliner! That will be fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter