WDW vacation without the parks?

this Oct 2020 my family is talking about just going to Universal Studios. We will still use BWV as a place to stay but the lines at Disney are ridiculous anymore.

We are at WDW now and the parks have been very busy. We go every year in Jan and I don't remember a year that has been this busy. If this is going to be the new norm I don't think we will be visiting the parks that much anymore. Its very difficult maneuvering the parks with so many people all over the place. Also now that the Skyliner is in place the crowds at IG have been pretty heavy at times, not we are used to and very disappointing. Makes me consider selling my points....

I won at Bingo at Contemporary. Prize was free boat rental, lots of fun. Also played corn hole and checkers. This was first week of January, 3 nights, last minute trip. Rode all transportation, and Minnie vans, lots of food and drink. No parks, would do it again anytime.

I realize this is a DVC board. However, I had banked points that had to be used, there was almost no DVC availability at the last minute. You don't have to tell me its a bad use of points, but, I stayed Club level at the contemporary and loved every minute.

I was looking at a non-park visit with my wife sometime soon as well, so this thread has been super helpful. What about visiting other local "downtowns" like Celebration, Kissimmee, etc.? That seems like an interesting way to spend some time.

I would look into which parks have after hours events and pick one of those vs. regular tickets
The early morning and after hours events (NOT PARTIES!) are soooo worth it. Free food and drink + a practically empty park
Google reviews and you will see that you will feel like you have the park to yourself

The Boma & Jiko tour at Animal Kingdom is free and awesome

I would Uber down to the Orlando Eye and Wax Museum and do those, and eat on I Drive (maybe Sugar Factory)

Disney Springs - The Void, NBA Experience

Mini Golf, Water Parks

Do a Riviera, Caribbean Beach, AoA, POP resort hop using the skyliner. Pin trade, get snacks and drinks, enjoy the scenery

Watch the fireworks at MK from the Poly beach with a Lapu Lapu. Get a bread pudding from the Tambu Lounge

Visit the Wide World of Sports and watch competitions that are happening

Boardwalk

Dine at resorts with characters so you still get to meet some (Chef Mickeys, Cape May, etc)

The Boma & Jiko tours at Animal Kingdom sounds fun! When are they? Do you have to reserve in advance?

We are at WDW now and the parks have been very busy. We go every year in Jan and I don't remember a year that has been this busy. If this is going to be the new norm I don't think we will be visiting the parks that much anymore. Its very difficult maneuvering the parks with so many people all over the place. Also now that the Skyliner is in place the crowds at IG have been pretty heavy at times, not we are used to and very disappointing. Makes me consider selling my points....
It does seem like the times of year when it wasn't so busy are still SUPER busy. I love Disney, but riding rides is a big part of going to WDW for us, and we like riding our faves more than once, so only getting 3 FPs is frustrating. I don't know, maybe I'm just ready for a change.

I won at Bingo at Contemporary. Prize was free boat rental, lots of fun. Also played corn hole and checkers. This was first week of January, 3 nights, last minute trip. Rode all transportation, and Minnie vans, lots of food and drink. No parks, would do it again anytime.
Does it cost to play Bingo? I love playing Bingo, but I don't want to pay for the cards. I also don't expect to win fancy prizes! It's just fun to play.

I was looking at a non-park visit with my wife sometime soon as well, so this thread has been super helpful. What about visiting other local "downtowns" like Celebration, Kissimmee, etc.? That seems like an interesting way to spend some time.
Winter Park definitely looks interesting. Supposed to be great food options and a couple of museums like the Morse Museum with its Tiffany collection and Cornell Fine Arts Museum (we like museums).

I would look into which parks have after hours events and pick one of those vs. regular tickets
The early morning and after hours events (NOT PARTIES!) are soooo worth it. Free food and drink + a practically empty park
Google reviews and you will see that you will feel like you have the park to yourself

The Boma & Jiko tour at Animal Kingdom is free and awesome

I would Uber down to the Orlando Eye and Wax Museum and do those, and eat on I Drive (maybe Sugar Factory)

Disney Springs - The Void, NBA Experience

Mini Golf, Water Parks

Do a Riviera, Caribbean Beach, AoA, POP resort hop using the skyliner. Pin trade, get snacks and drinks, enjoy the scenery

Watch the fireworks at MK from the Poly beach with a Lapu Lapu. Get a bread pudding from the Tambu Lounge

Visit the Wide World of Sports and watch competitions that are happening

Boardwalk

Dine at resorts with characters so you still get to meet some (Chef Mickeys, Cape May, etc)
These are great suggestions! One funny thing is that we've attended the WWS cheer events the last three years b/c our daughter competed with her high school team. When we decided to go in February this year, we thought, "We definitely shouldn't go during the cheer comp b/c it's so crowded that weekend." Well, whaddaya know, we're going that weekend. One reason we're not bothering with the parks! 🤣

Bingo is free, very nice paper board with punch out letters. Mostly children played, maybe our group ws 10 kids and 3-4 adults.

Just got back from three nights at BLT. We did Epcot Festival of the Arts on our arrival and then no more parks for the rest of our trip. We were busy watching the trial on television. We did head out to eat at Trails End, Chef Mickey's, Olivia's, The Wave, Grand Floridian Café. It was a perfect trip.

We're taking a 4-night trip to VWL in early February but don't want the expense of park passes. What are your fave things to do that don't involve the parks? We've been many times so unique ideas are appreciated!

hoopty doo music review is awesome at wilderness lodge.

Just got back from three nights at BLT. We did Epcot Festival of the Arts on our arrival and then no more parks for the rest of our trip. We were busy watching the trial on television. We did head out to eat at Trails End, Chef Mickey's, Olivia's, The Wave, Grand Floridian Café. It was a perfect trip.

Your trip sounds very nice. Unfortunately we live in NJ so just a "drop in" trip isn't really practical for us. Sure wish it was. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter