• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW vet ventures to DL...

CamColt

...and was pleasantly surprised! :cool1:

I have heard over and over that I would be disappointed with DL after going to WDW so much, but that couldnt be more untrue.

Yes, overall DL is smaller and there is less to do, but we still found plenty to keep us busy. We could have used more time, but really enjoyed what we did do. In fact we found some attractions to be better at DL, some of which were Pirates of Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and It's A Small World. Also, I thought Disney's Electrical Parade is better than Spectro Magic and Remember Dreams Come True was better than Wishes. We enjoyed the attractions that arent in WDW too...Indiana Jones, Canoes, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin, etc... Aladdin, A Musical Spectacular was AMAZING!

It was fairly crowded while we were there (8/9-8/12), but by using Fast Pass and arriving early(even did a 7:00am EE day) we were able to do almost everything we wanted. With 3 park days we only missed 3 rides that we definitely wanted to do and 1 was a last minute choice by DS(Astro Orbiters).

We were there the day Oprah was which did mess us up a bit. First we waited in line for Space MT for about 45 minutes and by the time we got to the door, the ride broke down (not Oprahs fault). After we finally got on that we went to ride Buzz with our FPs, but couldnt get on due to filming. Fantasyland was also closed for about an hour because of her. As aggravating as this day was, Im sure once I see it on Oprah this fall I will be happy to see memories of our trip. ;)

I enjoyed the closeness of the parks and everything being in walking distance. One day before we left Disneyland to return to our hotel for a midday swim we were able to hop over to California Adventure to pick up FPs for when we returned later in the evening. It was perfect!

We really enjoyed the Disneyland Hotel. We had an awesome view! I'm not sure if we got upgraded or if this was a standard room but we were in the Bonita Tower facing the waterfalls. We had a great view of the the Matterhorn and could even see the fireworks from our room. The only complaints we had here were that counter service food was very limited (couldnt find a hotdog or pizza for DS), and the laundry room is a joke. I made my final decision of the DL Hotel over PP because I needed laundry (we went on a cruise after our stay here). I couldnt believe it when their laundry facilities were 2 washers and 3 dryers. That was a busy place the morning I was there and everyone was shocked at how small it was.

We enjoyed dining at Blue Bayou, even with the worst seat in the house, LOL! I was practically in the lobby area and if I hadn't known about it being in POC, I would have had no clue I was there. One counter service meal that stood out as very good was the pasta at Pizza Ooo Mow Mow. While we enjoyed Goofy's Kitchen I didnt find the character interaction to be great. However our waitress told us that Oprah and her kids were dining next door so I wonder if the characters were making unusual visits over there. I also prefer ESPN in WDW.

The weather was perfect too! It could get cool in the morning & evenings, but it was usually bright sunny and warm during the day. :sunny:

We were also pixie dusted a bit while there. Our DSs got to ride in the Golden Dumbo and all 4 of us rode in the Golden Tea Cup. We were able to do this during EE when a lot of the rides were walk ons with no one around. Also, one night when returning to DTD after the fireworks we were able to ride in the front of the monorail. Gotta love those extra Disney touches!!!

Overall, DH & I agree we would go back again sometime.

Any questions, just ask! :)

Weren't you planning on seeing the baseball game when you were there too? How did you enjoy that? (forgive me if I've mixed you up with another Diser )

Great memory, Mary Anne!

Yes, we went to the Red Sox/Angels game yesterday. We got off the ship around 9:00 am and were picked up by Super Shuttle at 9:30. We had rented a room at the Red Roof Inn, even though we werent staying overnight.

We made it there in such good time we took a walk to DTD for some last minute shopping before taking a cab to the game.

The game would have been wonderful except we were sitting in direct sunlight and it was very hot! The kids of course got whinny (so did I, LOL). I like it hot, but this was bad. It was really neat to see the game...and all the Boston fans there. ;) Also, George Lopez was there, throwing out a pitch, and helping with some contest(right in front of us), so that was cool to see him.

We left after the 7th inning and returned to the hotel to wash up before our flight home.

The good news is as miserable as we were there, the kids keep talking about how the game rocked, so I guess they forget the bad part (and that we lost, LOL).

You know my kids (14 and 17) enjoyed DisneyLand but have talked non-stop about the baseball games they saw in California. I'm thinking we need to plan more road trips just to see ball fields. LOL

Next time take a ride in the back of the monorail. We had fun with that since it is like the front without the equipment to drive the monorail.

Glad to hear you had a great time.

I'm glad you liked it and had a good time.
I grew up in so. cal. and my grandparents lived in central Florida and I spent 2 weeks to a month with them every summer. So, I've spent a lot of time at both. I personally like DL better than the MK of WDW. We're scheduled to go to DL in Nov., and it will be the first time we've gone to DCA, and I can't wait!

we were there during the same time period (8/8-8/12) We had never been to DL before but consider ourselves WDW vets.

I have to agree with you on a lot of things. To me I still prefer WDW but I did enjoy DL. There were different things at DL and some things I thought were better at DL, just like some things at WDW are better then DL.

Now my mother went with us & she did not like DL at all, but her problem was she was comparing it too much with WDW. She was not thinking of them as two separate parks.
If you go to DL in the right mind frame, knowing you are not going to WDW and not expect WDW, DL can be a fun and enjoyable place!

We were there 8/7-11. Last year my daughter kept going on about how much better MK is than DL. This year she went with the attitude to enjoy the differences and ride the rides you can't ride at MK. We had a great time. I didn't think it was too crowded.

We're also WDW vets who took our first trip to DL 8/6-8/11. We loved it. We loved the compact layout, the ability to walk from our offsite hotel, the ability to walk from MK to DCA and to DTD. We loved the similar but different rides (POC, IASW, etc.). And we enjoyed the rides unique to California. We thought DCA was terrific. I don't know why anyone wouldn't enjoy that park.

When was Oprah there? I didn't hear anything about that during our stay.

Good points! I think keeping in mind that its not supposed to be WDW, but a different(but similar) experience really helps.

Steve, Oprah was there Friday the 12th. She took a classroom of 3rd graders I think, from Texas. I'll try to post a picture when I get them up. Not sure how much you can make out of her in the crowd.

I like to think of DL as where Walt walked and hand a big hand in the design. Sorry to hear I missed Oprah.

safetymom said:
I like to think of DL as where Walt walked and hand a big hand in the design.

Exactly! I loved seeing at the DL hotel the park map drawn on the dresser doors, with Holiday land (I think that was it), etc... I assumed it was Walt's original plans for the park. What was neat was on the cruise we went on afterwards we had Richard Sherman, the Disney Legend on board. He did a show/talk one night telling about how he worked with Walt, how they came up with the songs and stuff. It was really neat. He wrote the Tiki Birds song, Its A Small World, Caroussel of Progress song, along with a ton others from movies. Hearing about how Walt worked was interesting. It sort of went along with our DL visit.

I was there last week and comparing DL to MK, DL wins. I love that park. I do think Wishes is better and I thought DL's Splash was not as good. DL's Space ROCKS!!!! I wish WDW would do the same refurbishment. I loved PoTC and Fantasyland (DL still has Mr. Toad and I loved Matterhorn).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter