We Are Family! 2018 All In The Family Vacation!

tiredsportsmom

Mouseketeer
Can't believe we are starting to plan a family vacation for June 2018!

So far I know it will be 7 of us! Myself (54), DH (56), DS (11) He is actually my step grandson but we have had custody of him since he was 9 months old so he is our son! DS (34) DIL (32), DGD (10) & DGD (8). * ages when we go!

DH, DS (11) and I haven't been to Disney since 2013. We went in July for 15 nights, stayed in condo 10 mins from Disney. We did MK, AK and Universal, Daytona Beach, Sea World, Gatorland, deep sea fishing, visited family and condo swim time.

DS(34) is my step son and hasn't been since he was 15. Until 2013 that was last time we had been!!
DIL and both DGD's have never been!

Have another stepson (37) and 2 more DGD's (10 & 2) that probably won't go due to finances. Considering taking the 10 yr old if DS and ex DIL can come up with the money for her. She goes to MK every Christmas with her mom so she has been lots! My other stepson (39) ( custody of his son) will NOT be going for sure! Our DS and DIL (both 29) that live 6 hrs away from us probably won't go but maybe able to make it a couple of days!

Have 3 older grandkids (23,21 & 19) along with 4 great grandsons (6,4,2 & 2) that are invited but probably won't go. It is a everyone pays their own expenses vacation. Wish we could afford to pay it all but no way!

Planning June 15-30 backup date is July 5-20. Staying off site at same condo area (4 bedroom, 3 bath for $1600. Going to each Disney park, 2 days at Universal, 1 Sea World day, 1 Gatorland day, deep sea fishing all day, and a beach day. Not sure yet about the other days!

What are some of the changes at Disney since 2013. I know the Magic bands and the way you make fast passes. I was hoping Star Wars area would be open but see that is planned for 2019.

Are different/more Magic bands available at Disney Springs than Disney store online? Any tips, ideas, suggestions for planning parks for 7 -8 people? DS & DIL are leaving the shedule/times, etc up to me!

Got a long way to go but so much to check up on and plan!

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to following along with your plans! Our first family Disney trip was in May 2013 and we've been back twice since, planning our next trip for July 2018. There have definitely been some changes since our trip in 2913, but we've been pleased with most of them - love FP+ and MagicBands! There are definitely more designs available at WDW than what's on the Disney store website. They also had customizable kiosks that offered even more designs. Have you checked the Shop Disney Parks app? It's got a better selection than the Disney store website because it's actual park merchandise.

I have no tips for touring with a large group, as we've only ever been as a family of 4. However, we have extended family that talk about joining us on a trip at some point, so I'm interested in seeing how folks manage planning/scheduling for a larger family.

While Star Wars land will not be open in time for our trips, there is a decent chance Toy Story land will be. Of course Pandora will also be new in Animal Kingdom- that area was still Camp Minnie Mickey in 2013!

I had forgotten about Toy Story Land! Thanks

Glad to know they have more Magic bands to chose from!

Have narrowed dates to either June 15-30 or July 5-21. Everyone is leaving dates up to me! In 2013 we went in July crowds were manageable and weather was about the same as at home. Just thinking crowds maybe less in June and also kids will start back to school July 30. They all go to year round school. So almost positive it will be June , will get Father's day, DH's birthday and one of DS's birthday (if he decides to come) included in these days.

DS(37) told us last night he is not going so now we have to decide if we tell him & ex DIL if they cover her expenses we will take DGD (10) or not even suggest it. Since she goes to MK every Christmas and goes to beach at least twice a year we may not offer. DS(34) seems to think if her dad doesn't go we shouldn't take her. Just so undecided about it!

We are discussing whether to rent a 4 bedroom condo for all of us (4 adults & 3 kids maybe 4) or rent 2 separate condos! Would love to stay on property but with everything else we are planning to do it is financially better to stay off property.

Hope to see some of your plans also Jfsag123!

Can memory Maker be purchased if not staying on site? Does Universal have anything like memory Maker?

Have narrowed dates to either June 15-30 or July 5-21. Everyone is leaving dates up to me! In 2013 we went in July crowds were manageable and weather was about the same as at home. Just thinking crowds maybe less in June and also kids will start back to school July 30. They all go to year round school. So almost positive it will be June , will get Father's day, DH's birthday and one of DS's birthday (if he decides to come) included in these days.

We went in June last year and loved it. We would be doing June again, but I'm finishing my Ph.D. and my internship runs through mid-July, so we can't go until the latter half of July. I would prefer June! When are your DH and DS's birthdays? I'm June 20. :)

DS(37) told us last night he is not going so now we have to decide if we tell him & ex DIL if they cover her expenses we will take DGD (10) or not even suggest it. Since she goes to MK every Christmas and goes to beach at least twice a year we may not offer. DS(34) seems to think if her dad doesn't go we shouldn't take her. Just so undecided about it!

That's a rough decision. I get not feeling like you need to take her since she gets to go often and would kind of be exclusively your responsibility if her dad doesn't go, but then also being torn about not including her. Good luck with your decision!

We are discussing whether to rent a 4 bedroom condo for all of us (4 adults & 3 kids maybe 4) or rent 2 separate condos! Would love to stay on property but with everything else we are planning to do it is financially better to stay off property.

I hear that! We'll stay on property, but could never afford to do so with a big group. We were off-site for our first trip and still had an amazing time.

Hope to see some of your plans also Jfsag123!

Thanks! I will likely start a PTR once we get to the summer. Right now I'm in the process of trying to plan our first trip to Disneyland for this June so I can't focus on WDW until this one ends! The DL trip is a fluke - my mother-in-law lives near Disneyland and wants to bring us out there to visit so off we go.

Can memory Maker be purchased if not staying on site? Does Universal have anything like memory Maker?

I'm not sure about Universal, as I haven't been there since 1992, but I know that you can get Memory Maker as an offsite guest since we got it on our first trip. You just need to have a My Disney Experience account and then purchase it through that. If you link your tickets and any MagicBands you purchase to the account, you can use your MagicBands for your tickets and memory maker photos the same as an on-site guest.

We went in June last year and loved it. We would be doing June again, but I'm finishing my Ph.D. and my internship runs through mid-July, so we can't go until the latter half of July. I would prefer June! When are your DH and DS's birthdays? I'm June 20. :)

DH is June 25 & DS is June 28. My oldest sister's birthday was June 20 and I have a nephew-in-law that is his birthday!

That's a rough decision. I get not feeling like you need to take her since she gets to go often and would kind of be exclusively your responsibility if her dad doesn't go, but then also being torn about not including her. Good luck with your decision!

Yes very hard decision! Going to have to think & pray about it. I'm not even sure if ex DIL would let us take her for 2 weeks.

I hear that! We'll stay on property, but could never afford to do so with a big group. We were off-site for our first trip and still had an amazing time.

We stayed off site in 2013 and had a great time. We had a 1 bedroom condo about 10 mins from Disney. It was nice being able to have all that open space. We have decided we are going to do a 4 bedroom 2 bath condo in the same complex. For 15 nights it is costing us $1600. We are going to purchase our Disney, Universal, Sea World and Gatorland tickets through Undercover Tourist using link in MouseSavers newsletter.
Will link our tickets and buy memory maker for Disney.

Can't wait to hear about your DisneyLand trip!!

I am signing on to read more! We are also heading out to WDW in 2018. It seems like forever but making plans and Dis-ing seem to help pass the time. I am looking forward to reading more. popcorn::

I am signing on to read more! We are also heading out to WDW in 2018. It seems like forever but making plans and Dis-ing seem to help pass the time. I am looking forward to reading more. popcorn::

Hi Daisy_77, thanks for joining! It does seem like a long time but it really will be here before we know it!

DIL & DGD's have been checking out some of the rides and things to do at each Disney Park and Universal. The oldest grand daughter is a HUGE Little Mermaid fan so anything doing with that is for her. The other is still a Minnie Mouse fan and wants to meet Belle. I've got to research where these are located, which place. When we went in 2013 DS didn't care about meet anyone especially a princess!

We have never done an ADR what are some places for breakfast or dinner anyone would recommend? I believe that will be what I start researching first!

We stayed off site in 2013 and had a great time. We had a 1 bedroom condo about 10 mins from Disney. It was nice being able to have all that open space. We have decided we are going to do a 4 bedroom 2 bath condo in the same complex. For 15 nights it is costing us $1600. We are going to purchase our Disney, Universal, Sea World and Gatorland tickets through Undercover Tourist using link in MouseSavers newsletter.
Will link our tickets and buy memory maker for Disney.

Can't wait to hear about your DisneyLand trip!!

You can't beat that deal! We have bought our tickets through Undercover Tourist 3 times with no troubles - love them!

And thanks! Booking dining for Disneyland pretty soon - they start with bookings for things so much later than WDW!

DIL & DGD's have been checking out some of the rides and things to do at each Disney Park and Universal. The oldest grand daughter is a HUGE Little Mermaid fan so anything doing with that is for her. The other is still a Minnie Mouse fan and wants to meet Belle. I've got to research where these are located, which place. When we went in 2013 DS didn't care about meet anyone especially a princess!

We have never done an ADR what are some places for breakfast or dinner anyone would recommend? I believe that will be what I start researching first!

Tip on meeting Belle (as I've also got Belle fans and may or may not be one myself lol): the easiest way to meet her is at the Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction in Magic Kingdom. She is in her yellow dress there and will take photos after the show with all the kids who participated. She will also give them each a bookmark. However, she does not sign autographs there. If you think your granddaughter will want an autograph, that can be had at Epcot. She meets in France in her blue dress and is also at Akershus in the Norway pavilion.

As far as ADR's are you looking to do character meals or primarily non-character? We have done several breakfasts, but all but one have been character meals (we are character nuts lol). Our favorites have been Garden Grill and 1900 Park Fare. Garden Grill is in Epcot and includes Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale. The restaurant is located in the Land pavilion, overlooks the Living with the Land ride and slowly spins so you see different scenes from the ride as you eat. 1900 Park Fare is at the Grand Floridian and includes Mary Poppins, Alice, the Mad Hatter, Pooh, and Tigger. Food was good and the character interactions were a lot of fun.

For dinner we really liked Via Napoli, Yak & Yeti, and 'Ohana, none of which are character meals, but all of which were oh so yummy. We also really love Be Our Guest. A lot folks around here say it's over-rated, but as huge Beauty and the Beast fans, it's a must do for us. The castle is gorgeous and we've always enjoyed the food - have eaten there 3 times and plan to return. Also, you can typically meet Beast after dinner.

Sorry for dumping so much info! I get excited about ADR's. :)

Thanks for the heads up on Belle!

I haven't managed any ADR research. Both my MIL & FIL have been sick since we went on our anniversary cruise March 18th. FIL is getting prostrate biopsy results today and MIL is almost finished with 2 week heart monitoring. I had 2 places removed from my back on Tuesday and should have the results tomorrow. The one I had removed in 2014 had pre cancer cells so expecting the same from these. We had family Easter at our house yesterday so that was a busy but blessed day.

DIL & I did a little Disney talking yesterday but not much. I have purchased my first Disney GC. Kroger runs a bonus fuel points when buying gift cards. I bought a $25 one Sat. I'm thinking park parking will probably be $25 to park next year so going to buy enough to cover that cost. If it doesn't go up will have an extra $5 on each one.

Going to try to get back to planning this week!

Hi, just diving in as we are hoping to go in August 2018, no booking yet though. I second the suggestion for dinner at Be Our Guest. We loved it. We sat in the West Wing which was fabulous. Highly recommended unless any of the younger ones would be spooked by the thunder effects. Very atmospheric. Not over rated for us, we really enjoyed it. Had no problem getting an ADR. Wasn't impressed with it's lunchtime menu but dinner was great. We've been watching lots of blogs too to get in the mood and saw one on Whispering Canyon. That's been added to our list for next time and of course Beaches and Cream.

Just hope we can actually fund a trip next year :worship:

Thanks for joining AcrossthePondNic!

Still no plans made for sure. FIL has prostate cancer, goes May 5 for a complete scan then May 8 to discuss options. Praying it hasn't spread and surgery will take care of it. MIL goes May 3 for her heart monitor results. Results on my back were great, it was benign!

One DGD is afraid of everything so not sure how she is going to do with anything on this trip! They have been watching youtube videos of some of the rides, getting her prepared!

Thinking we will do 1 day each AK, Epcot & HS, 2 days MK not getting park hoppers.
2 days park to park Universal/Island of Adventure. We are also going to do a day at SeaWorld, Gatorland, beach day (either Daytona or Cocoa) and deep sea fishing. That takes 11 of our 14 days. We plan to leave on June 14, drive halfway, spend the night somewhere and arrive at condo on 15th. We will leave for home on 30th so we are going to have a jam packed time!

I'm on the search for reasonable priced digital cameras for Christmas for the kids. I will need to buy 4 so can't spend too much $$$ on each. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

I hope things go well for you MIL and FIL. Can't recommend specific cameras from over here as I would think you'll have different models available. One thing I'm thinking for our daughter though is a camera with a flip screen for selfie stuff. If you've got older granddaughters they might be interested in that type. Watching YouTube, we've seen a lot of the bloggers are using that type for their filming as well as photos. I'm sure the models they use will cost a lot more than we're thinking of paying though.

We bought her one on Amazon a couple of years ago that has lasted better than our more expensive camera. It's a Nikon, not with a selfie screen though. Charges either via the mains or through USB on the PC. I'll inherit that one if we her get her another before our next trip. She'd like a GoPro. But don't think that's gonna happen.

Sounds like you're going to have a full itinerary. I'm just biding my time now, checking prices and hoping for a miracle.

I am joining in your planning party! I, too am looking at going in 2018. I don't have a lot to add to the discussion. Except that you may want to plan a meal at Chef Mickey's to see Minnie.

I'm joining in! Plans look fun. I would make sure to check Sea World deals from the website on Black Friday. They usually have some great deals. We've gotten buy 1 get 1 free annual passes before plus meal deals ect. With the AP you'd get free parking and food/merchandise discounts plus a lot of other deals on tours ect.

We also love Gatorland. We go there every couple of years. They have bobcats which are my DS's favorite animals.

Universal does have a photo thing like Disney. They have some neat shots that you can get if you have it but I don't know how much it is (we got it last time for 3 days free for being the family of the day)

I'm excited to read along. We aren't going until after T-day 2018 (unless I can convince the family to go sooner) We usually travel with my parents and stay off site. Always have a great time!

Joining in. We took our first trip to the World Sept 2016 with four of our kids and the in laws. This Trip, May 2018 is to take my mom for her first trip. We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek timeshare last trip and are considering Orange Lake for this trip but there are currently 6 options in the running. With 7 people, we like the space and we enjoy resort family time as we have several non park days. Wish we could swing two weeks but looks like 8 nights at the moment.

Thanks for joining in mdsouth, chicagoshannon and MommyinHonduras! Hello to everyone if you are still here!
Life just keeps interfering in planning!

I have worked for our church for almost 22 years (Sept), the pastor has been there almost 33 years (Aug), he meet with me last week to inform me he is retiring in August on his 33 year anniversary. Not sure what will happen to my job with a new pastor.

My FIL is having surgery for prostate cancer on June 13 and my MIL needs a pacemaker but won't do it until after FIL surgery. I know I will have to do most if not all of helping them so trying to get prepared for that.

We are going to see our DS & DIL for a few days June 8-12 before all the medical stuff starts.

Lots going on so hoping we can still manage our vacation even if we have to cut a few days short.

Hope everyone has a great week!

I hope all goes well with the surgery. At our church, the secretary job is not effected by a pastor leaving. Your job is most likely safe. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!