We are going to Disneyland!!!!

Kimmielee

Living my Disney Happily Ever After dream... ♥
Couple of questions... We are looking to go during my son's Spring Break next March. I am going to try to book the Villas at the Grand Californian right at the 7 months out date... am I dreaming? Is it hard to get?

Also, is 3 days there enough? What other great places to see or things to do should we not miss?

I am so excited!!!! :cool1:

When I booked our studio for our upcoming trip, I made sure I was online right when the online booking was opened. We were able to secure our studio for 7 nights and the next day I was able to secure one more night by waking up bright and early to call MS. Later in the day I happened to go back to online booking and noticed that some of my dates were already booked up.....I was in awe at how fast they book up. Good luck, this will be our first trip to DLR and we are so excited about it.

Couple of questions... We are looking to go during my son's Spring Break next March. I am going to try to book the Villas at the Grand Californian right at the 7 months out date... am I dreaming? Is it hard to get?

Also, is 3 days there enough? What other great places to see or things to do should we not miss?

I am so excited!!!! :cool1:

We're WDW DVC veterans who took our first trip to California last June and spent a week in Anaheim. We tried booking at exactly 7 months and then also waitlisted but never came close to getting in - there are only about 50 units and if you're going during a high demand time I think it will be tough to get a unit at the 7 month window.

At the very least, I would suggest booking a back-up and if you do, I'd recommend the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate which is within walking distance to DL and features very comfortable 2BR accommodations although no washer/dryer in the room and no whirlpool tub.

We had 4-day park hopper tickets and found this to be the right amount of time to thoroughly enjoy both parks, but we were there the week that Radiator Springs Racers opened and the crowds were pretty heavy. I think you could certainly 'get by' on 3 days since the parks are literally across from each other and very easy to park hop. When we were there you could still use FPs after the return window expired and we used that to our full advantage, but now they've started enforcing the return times.

The only other thing we did while we were in southern California is take a day trip to Hollywood which was an OK diversion. We had just come from 4 days in San Francisco where we had done a lot more 'touring' so we intentionally didn't do much else besides DL when we were in Anaheim. The beach is only about 30-45 minutes from Dl if you want to see the Pacific Ocean, and if you want to experience other theme parks then you can visit Universal Studios or Knott's Berry Farm.

By all means visit the Disneyland discussion forum for tremendous amounts of great advice, starting with "Hydroguy's" tips which are invaluable.

I am going this August for 3 nights, in a studio. When we tried to book at the 7 month window there was no availability. We got up early in the morning and even tried to book the 7 nights (then would cancel the first 4, leaving the 3 days I really wanted).... to give myself a little advantage, if possible.... still did not work.

We waitlisted each night individually.... they came through, one at a time, it took about 5 weeks.

If you don't have success getting a reservation at 7 months you can do a waitlist that expires 7 days before arrival. This may increase your chances... and if you get within 6 days of arrival, just book an off property hotel.

At around the six month mark, decided to add 2 days to our existing reservation. Nothing was available at that point. I waitlisted and it came through within a month. We went the end of April, which isn't as busy as Spring Break.

Studios are generally the first to go, followed by 1 bedrooms. The dedicated 2 bedroom are usually the last to be reserved.

How old is your son? Our kids enjoyed going to a taping of one of the popular tv shows. We've had tickets for Big Bang Theory, Home Improvement, Mad About You and a few others I can't remember. They also loved seeing the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre, Universal Studios, and Medieval Times. The beaches were never a big thing because we live near the ocean.

I agree with a PP that you should book a cash room somewhere, so you have something to fall back on if you can't get VGC. There are lots of decent hotels/motels that are walking distance to DLR.

I always get a 5 day park hopper but you"ll still see lots with 3 days.

We have been 4 for 4 in booking GCV at the 7 month mark in a 1BR or 2BR. However, we always stay during the summer months. I hope it works out for you!

We do usually stay about 3 nights--it's just enough time to do both parks in 2 days. We don't do commando touring though. It leaves us something to do for our next trip! It may not leave you enough time to do anything else in the area if you're wanting to do 2 days at Disney. We often stay in San Diego area for a few more nights--plenty to do there--the zoo, SeaWorld, LEGOLAND, etc.

Good luck!

We have to waitlist sometimes for the studios. Most of the time they come through. We do try at the 7 month mark whenever we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter