We chose the Swan for last Saturday night!Long!

Seahunt

DIS Veteran
I posted last week asking for opinions on a one night stay last Saturday night between the Swan (@$139) and the Dolphin(@$125) Starwood website internet rate. We ended up choosing the Swan - I was leaning toward the Dolphin and using the difference toward a mug (suggested per a reply on the board), DH thought the Swan. It came down to a coin toss, and the Swan won. We had never even considered these hotels in the past, and were intrigued when we were staying at the Poly last time and took a "Friendship" boat from the Studios to the Boardwalk, and one of the stops was at the Swan & Dolphin - thought we should try them one time. We were VERY pleasantly surprised, and loved the location. Location, location, location - they have it, at such a great price compared to Disney! Soooo convenient! When checking in I asked about room choices at that rate, and first was given 1268 with a king - which I know was a great room, but DH likes a balcony (which they did not have to give us - res stated "resort view" only), and they switched us to 587 w/2 queens with a step out balcony (balcony had 2 chairs/table). Really they couldn't have been nicer, and now I wish we just would have stuck with the original since it was again an E ride night and we were only in the room late that night for sleeping and only went on the balcony for about 15 minutes Sunday morning (watched the people lazing away in the hammocks!) (BTW, when we were down checking on another room there was another couple w/kids asking to see a room because they were so unhappy with their Dolphin room that they sent them over there, so I guess they are used to dealing with people changing rooms all the time!) We explored everywhere, and even hit Tubbi's at the Dolphin late,late at night (and listened to some man complaining because they were out of Krispy Kremes!) The heavenly beds were heavenly (but how in the world do they keep those duvet covers so white??!), and I did notice that it seemed like the rooms were much quieter than the Disney resorts,(room to room noise) OR there just wasn't anyone in either room beside us! Loved being able to walk to Epcot, and used the boats to the studio (Star Wars weekend going on - first time we've seen that, really fun!) We also spent a lot of time on the Boardwalk this time (since we could just walk right to it), and really enjoyed it. Don't be afraid to try these hotels!

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

We were there over the weekend as well. I, too, love the Heavenly Bed. :D

Thanks for your post. I was very interested to read what you though of the Swan. I have been debating between the YC and the Swan (have resevations at both). The Swan is $100 per night less than the YC. We have stayed at the BC in the past, so I'm familiar with the pool, etc. I have been worried that I will be disappointed with the Swan. After reading your post (and others who are very positive), I think I may take a chance. We have a resort view with balcony reserved. I've been concerned that the room will be small. What was your impression of the size of the room?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I know what you mean about choosing the right place - I also have stayed at the Beach Club and enjoyed it, but for $100 less I'd try the Dolphin/Swan. You can always go back to the other the next time, right?lol! I worried that I would miss the Disney ambiance, but you're still immersed the minute you get there. You can always take the boat over to the BC for a meal at Beaches & Cream, or hop over to the Boardwalk (couple minute walk) so you still feel like you're in the magic. When I booked the Swan, I could have booked a standard view at the BWI for $231 (Fl. residents rate) so the Swan was almost a hundred less for me too, so I thought I'd go ahead and try the Swan. I thought the room size was fine, but then it was just me and my DH. The room had a separate dressing room and sink (Hollywood bath) with a coffeemaker (But beware of the Evian water there beside the coffeemaker - you'll be charged $4.95 for this small bottle if you use it!) and there's an ironing board and iron in the closet. The heavenly beds were just so plush and inviting - 2 queen beds in this room, compared to 2 doubles at the Dolphin, with nice reading lights above each, and the pools and health club were VERY nice. BUT - the resort view issue I would need to research a little more next time. When we were changing our room, I told "Jason" at the desk that I was confirmed for "resort view" and he said that was really more at the Dolphin than the Swan. Room 1268 that we had at first looked out over the parking lot, with a good view of the Tower of Terror over to the right, but not exactly what I envisioned by "resort view". Hmmm....for one night it didn't matter, and we had a decent view from room 587(west), but if it did matter I would research exactly where I wanted to be and request that. If you're really scared to try the Dolphin/Swan, maybe a split stay the first time with some days at different resorts would make it easier?

Thanks again for your thoughts on the Swan. It will be me, my DH and our DS (16). I will investigate the view situation, but I think I will go with the Swan. We can do quite a bit with the extra $$$. We are staying four nights at WDW and then we will head to Portofino Bay at Universal for three nights.

Thanks again. Glad you had a good time! We will be there in less than a month.

Seahunt.........did you get club level in 587? Your first room, even though it had a view from the front of the hotel, was on the club level. I am just curious if you received club level privs in your second room, with the balcony?

I guess I classify the Swan rooms as 'regular hotel size' - we were ok in the room with 3 of us. If my 6'3" DH had been there it would have been crowded (since DS is 6'1"). I don't consider them huge, nor do I consider them undersized - just average. But I do love the swan...............

Ozziewags - no CL with 587. The CL privileges were never mentioned to me even with the 1268 room, so I just figured that it was 12th floor room-only, with no privileges - the girl that originally checked us in just gave us 1268 as an upgrade to a king bed. I thought you had to have CL privileges marked someway on your keycard, and should have asked if we had any. Doh! But since we were only there for the one night, and headed out to the parks right after we took our bag to the room -plus it was E ride night, so we weren't back to the hotel 'till late,late- I guess this was one(and probably only!) time when CL privileges wouldn't have mattered. But next time....!!!LOL!

Glad you enjoyed your stay there. I love both hotels but am more partial towards the Swan. I love the place, and its size over the DOlphin. When you have CL it is noted on your room key next to your name (CL) atleast it was on my room key last weekend :)

Just booked Swan concierge for $214/night from 12/28-1/02/04 with teacher rate! I'm DVC member with home resort at OKW and we were staying there, but thought this was great for the holiday park touring! Pictures on website look great. First time at non-dvc since we joined in 1994. I'm really excited about it! Now does anyone know anyone wanting to rent my points in a 1 bdroom for those 5 nights? I think we are going to try to rent them. Wish us luck!
Connears

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter