We have TSA precheck but grandkids don't. What do we do?

Keacc

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling with our grandkids who are 5 and 7. Can they go thru the precheck line with us or do we have to go thru the regular line?

They are young enough to go with you. The exact wording on the TSA site says "when traveling with a parent or guardian".

In a general sense, you certainly are your grandchildren's guardians on the trip. However, guardian also has a specific legal meaning, so I suppose it is possible that a super strict TSA agent could use that as a justification to refuse your grandkids entry to the pre-check line. (I have no idea if this actually could be an issue or not.)

But if your grandkids are refused, I wouldn't waste time arguing with the agent who refused you. Depending on your airport, you could always try the pre-check line at a different checkpoint, where there would likely be a different agent. Or wander away for a few minutes, and try again at the same checkpoint after the agent has rotated out (but act like it's your first time). Obviously, the regular, non pre-check line is an option, but that defeats the purpose of pre-check.

We have taken our grandkids through precheck with us for years. Never a problem.

I have found that when I have traveled with my nephews they seem to get TSA precheck and I don't lol. I bought it this year.

They are young enough to go with you. The exact wording on the TSA site says "when traveling with a parent or guardian".

In a general sense, you certainly are your grandchildren's guardians on the trip. However, guardian also has a specific legal meaning, so I suppose it is possible that a super strict TSA agent could use that as a justification to refuse your grandkids entry to the pre-check line. (I have no idea if this actually could be an issue or not.)

But if your grandkids are refused, I wouldn't waste time arguing with the agent who refused you. Depending on your airport, you could always try the pre-check line at a different checkpoint, where there would likely be a different agent. Or wander away for a few minutes, and try again at the same checkpoint after the agent has rotated out (but act like it's your first time). Obviously, the regular, non pre-check line is an option, but that defeats the purpose of pre-check.

That is absolutely a non-issue. It is fine to take your 5 and 7 year old grandchildren through the TSA PRE line. Suggesting that the OP wander away if refused and try later is bizarre.

Hey, give me a break. Look, I will readily admit I have no actual experience with OP's actual question. OTOH, I do have experience with individual TSA agents making up their own interpretations of the rules, so I offered advice about how to handle that type of situation. IMHO, that is the better path to take, rather than convincing a TSA agent they are wrong. So that is why I only quoted the rules, speculated on what the OP might experience, and offered my advice. Bizarre or not, it is an option when dealing with the TSA; just walk away from the checkpoint if you don't like it how things are going.

Hey, give me a break. Look, I will readily admit I have no actual experience with OP's actual question. OTOH, I do have experience with individual TSA agents making up their own interpretations of the rules, so I offered advice about how to handle that type of situation. IMHO, that is the better path to take, rather than convincing a TSA agent they are wrong. So that is why I only quoted the rules, speculated on what the OP might experience, and offered my advice. Bizarre or not, it is an option when dealing with the TSA; just walk away from the checkpoint if you don't like it how things are going.

Yeah the Thousands Standing Around like to play "let's make up a new rule so I can show off my power"

They despise passengers like me who smile nicely and say "may I see your supervisor" when they play "I am a jerk" Generally I get one of two responses, "well I will let you through this time" (LOL!) or "you will miss your flight waiting on him" For option two I smile again and say "I am willing to risk it". Supervisor then shows up looks at "banned object" (last time it was a corkscrew, the winged type, no knife) and lets me take my 'banned object' and get on the plane LOL!

We travel with DGD10 all the time. TSA asks her age and sends us on our way.

You realize though, the TSA agent wouldn't even know that the child is a grandchild, natural child, or other accompanying child? Different name means nothing in relation to relationship to the adult they are traveling with. DD and DGD have different last name. DD and I have different last names, and have since she was 3. All they care is the child's age. They will ask the child to confirm their age, to confirm the child is below the threshold of needing their own PreCheck. If they pass that, no other question is asked, so there is no possibility of a refusal. Unless of course, the child says they are over 13

You realize though, the TSA agent wouldn't even know that the child is a grandchild, natural child, or other accompanying child? Different name means nothing in relation to relationship to the adult they are traveling with. DD and DGD have different last name. DD and I have different last names, and have since she was 3. All they care is the child's age.

My DGD has the same last name as my husband and me. But her last name is different than her mother’s (our DD).

You realize though, the TSA agent wouldn't even know that the child is a grandchild, natural child, or other accompanying child? Different name means nothing in relation to relationship to the adult they are traveling with. DD and DGD have different last name. DD and I have different last names, and have since she was 3. All they care is the child's age. They will ask the child to confirm their age, to confirm the child is below the threshold of needing their own PreCheck. If they pass that, no other question is asked, so there is no possibility of a refusal. Unless of course, the child says they are over 13

I never even thought about the last names, just the actual relationship, since that is what the OP asked about. My DD has the same last name, but is of a different race, so I worry about other things related to that. I don't even recall how the TSA treated us on the Pre-Check line, but there were no problems. In any case, I am glad you posted this, because it makes sense, and it is relevant to the OP.

I never even thought about the last names, just the actual relationship, since that is what the OP asked about. My DD has the same last name, but is of a different race, so I worry about other things related to that. I don't even recall how the TSA treated us on the Pre-Check line, but there were no problems. In any case, I am glad you posted this, because it makes sense, and it is relevant to the OP.
Probably because in our experience the PreCheck TSA agents have always been very cordial, so unmemorable in general. Thankfully. DGD is so quirky at times I always have to remind her that she's going to have to speak to the agent, and speak up, that she can't pull one of her "turtle in the shell" moments and turn to me to do her speaking. She waffles between outgoing talk your head off to can't look you in the eye. She's flown with us enough now that she's finally got it down and knows she has to answer the agents and they no longer intimidate her. It helps a lot that they have been quite nice. So much better than the ones working the actual bag check areas. They scare me!

Happily, mixed race, mixed name, all mixed types of family combinations have become so normal and common place that your family combination doesn't even give the TSA Agents a pause for thought.

Yeah the Thousands Standing Around like to play "let's make up a new rule so I can show off my power"

They despise passengers like me who smile nicely and say "may I see your supervisor" when they play "I am a jerk" Generally I get one of two responses, "well I will let you through this time" (LOL!) or "you will miss your flight waiting on him" For option two I smile again and say "I am willing to risk it". Supervisor then shows up looks at "banned object" (last time it was a corkscrew, the winged type, no knife) and lets me take my 'banned object' and get on the plane LOL!
During our trip home earlier this month we witnessed 2 TSA PreCheck area bag agents disagree with what could go through. At MCO, of course, since that must be where they send the worse of the Bag Check agents. Wasn't our stuff, but I felt for the family involved. They had a child, around 1, but not sure of age, they where holding her. They had boxed, unopened apple juice for the child's bottle. One agent said they could take it, but only the unopened ones. So they got everything ready and headed through the check area. Bag scanned, was pulled out for liquids and there those agents said no, the juice could not go period. So the family and the 2 agents were then arguing about it and what was allowed, for who and how much. No idea what the resolution was, we finished going through and headed on our way.

I do have to make DGD do 2 checks on her bag. She's left soda in the bottom of her back pack at least twice now. We've been extremely fortunate that the agents that have pulled her bag for additional check have been extremely nice about it, when they saw the bag belonged to a child.

Look, I will readily admit I have no actual experience with OP's actual question. OTOH, I do have experience with individual TSA agents making up their own interpretations of the rules, so I offered advice about how to handle that type of situation.

And by the time you’ve walked away and found another line or waited for a shift change, you could have been through the line.

But it’s not going to be an issue.

All they care is the child's age. They will ask the child to confirm their age, to confirm the child is below the threshold of needing their own PreCheck. If they pass that, no other question is asked, so there is no possibility of a refusal.

Yep.

My son was taller than me by 12 and his voice started changing early. They ask him how to pronounce his name, they ask him how old he is, sometimes they said “wow” at his height and youth, and they send us along. And we don’t have the same last names.

And he looks white white white but he’s part Korean, so when he would go through with his half Korean dad (who looks Mexican) because dad had global entry and got Pre while I got to go through the normal line (for work purposes we generally booked me and our son on one reservation and my ex on the other), we might have expected confusion, but there never has been.

Happily, mixed race, mixed name, all mixed types of family combinations have become so normal and common place that your family combination doesn't even give the TSA Agents a pause for thought.

Yep.

And I despise the agents at mco that I’ve run across, but that’s once you’re well into the line. The agents looking at your boarding pass have always been perfectly fine, and aren’t going to demand proof of legal guardianship. If you’re traveling with a kid, you are acting as their guardian.

If you booked your grandkids air under the same reservation as yours, all the boarding passes should print out with “TSA Pre Check” on them.

If you booked your grandkids air under the same reservation as yours, all the boarding passes should print out with “TSA Pre Check” on them.
This isn't always true. I have gotten it and DH and the kids haven't. Last time kids got it and we didn't. So in our case it wasn't linked to our reservation.

This isn't always true. I have gotten it and DH and the kids haven't. Last time kids got it and we didn't. So in our case it wasn't linked to our reservation.

If both adults have a TSA KTN, then children under 12 booked under the same reservation will have it as well.

My husband and I have had our TSA numbers for years and our children have always traveled with us, on our reservation and have always received it. We fly exclusively on JetBlue. It’s always been printed on our boarding passes.

If you are not a known traveler with a known traveler number, then it’s random and not everyone in your party will receive it.

Your number also must be linked to your frequent flyer account in your airline’s profile.

If both adults have a TSA KTN, then children under 12 booked under the same reservation will have it as well.

My husband and I have had our TSA numbers for years and our children have always traveled with us, on our reservation and have always received it. We fly exclusively on JetBlue. It’s always been printed on our boarding passes.

If you a not a known traveler with a known traveler number, then it’s random and not everyone in your party will receive it.
Right but that's not what you said at first. I didn't want people to think this would always happen :)

Right but that's not what you said at first. I didn't want people to think this would always happen :)

It DOES ALWAYS HAPPEN if you are a registered traveler with Pre Check clearance. Happens every time I fly. That’s what I paid for.

It DOES ALWAYS HAPPEN if you are a registered traveler with Pre Check clearance. Happens every time I fly. That’s what I paid for.
I apologize, your first post didn't indicate that as far as I could tell. That's what I was commenting on. Sorry to have riled you up. I wasn't talking about if you were a registered traveler as many aren't. No need to shout at me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!