Weather in Mid-January

weich1001

Wendi
What is the weather like in Mid-January? All the other times we have been to WDW we primarily took shorts and lightweight items...including rain poncho's for the normal Florida daily rain shower

Obviously we'll watch the weather reports...but generally should we plan more jeans and heavier weight tops/shirts? Or are shorts still the norm? (We live in the NE and are used to mid-January typically wearing...turtlenecks, sweaters, fleece, heavy coats etc..)

Do I need to pack the rain ponchos?

I am guessing maybe a mid-weight jacket like we would wear in the Spring or Fall would suffice...for cold mornings or evenings

Florida local here. Typically you're looking at 50s during nights & upper 60s to low 70s during the day. Not much rain. However, a cold snap can occur dropping those lows to the upper 30s, so I'd bring a good sweatshirt/ jacket combo just in case. It may have a low 80s day, but rarely.

Florida local here. Typically you're looking at 50s during nights & upper 60s to low 70s during the day. Not much rain. However, a cold snap can occur dropping those lows to the upper 30s, so I'd bring a good sweatshirt/ jacket combo just in case. It may have a low 80s day, but rarely.

Thanks! That's kinda what I thought...but I wasn't sure!

We used to go in January--best time of year! School schedules have prevented us from continuing to do so. On a few trips we have worn our winter coats/mittens on some mornings and ended up with just a light fleece mid-day. Cold/windy days were mixed in with sunny days that allowed for swimming on every trip

Jan. 2016 was amazing! It was in the 80s all week, and it did not rain once. We wore shorts every day.

It has always been warmer than at home. This winter we have seen below zero weather, so 40s and 50s in the morning does not really bother us. For some people that is way too cold for a Disney trip. There is so much walking that you do warm up, though. Just bring a swimsuit and a coat and you should be fine.

It's way more tolerable than the summer, last time we stayed at WDW we went at the end of January it was perfect. Comfortable during the day, cool at night. From now on we will try to go that time of year, not to mention it's value season as well.

I went in January 2018, and it was warm by my standards--I wore capris and a t-shirt and had a lightweight fall/spring jacket I wore at the start of the day and after sundown. I'd just say pack layers--I also had a sweater and an alpaca wool poncho with me, so I could go up to three layers of warmth if needed. Also had some jeans I could have swapped in if it was too cold for the capris. Florida is unpredictable, so unfortunately you do need to prepare for some pretty wide temperature swings, but odds are it'll be pretty temperate.

We went at the end of January this year and it was pretty cold at night. It even got in the 30s some nights. I would just make sure you pack lots of layers. We are from the midwest so we know what cold is like, but Dh still got cold one night with his winter coat and gloves on. I, on the other hand, was fine with no gloves and my hoodie. We packed sweatpants, jeans, shorts, tshirts, long sleeve shirts, hoodies, gloves, and winter coats. I think all of these things were used on our trip at some point.

We are heading to Atlanta first on the business portion of the trip and then catching a quick flight over to Orlando for the remainder of the 10 days. Based on what I have seen on the maps, Atlanta seems slightly cooler "usually" in January than Orlando is. And since we are from the North-East, where we generally have much colder temps, we will have plenty of things to layer with. I just wasn't sure...did I need to pack shorts? sandals? swimsuit? Or realistically were those items just a waste of space?

We are heading to Atlanta first on the business portion of the trip and then catching a quick flight over to Orlando for the remainder of the 10 days. Based on what I have seen on the maps, Atlanta seems slightly cooler "usually" in January than Orlando is. And since we are from the North-East, where we generally have much colder temps, we will have plenty of things to layer with. I just wasn't sure...did I need to pack shorts? sandals? swimsuit? Or realistically were those items just a waste of space?
On all of our January trips, we have always found at least one day to swim. Some years the weather was much warmer than others. On one trip it was in the 80s each day and we swam every day. On another, we used our fleeces, hat, gloves, and winter coat. (It did reach the upper 70s one day on that cooler-weather trip, which is kind of cold to me, but my kids swam for three hours--it was 10 degrees at home).

I would pack the swimsuit, a cover up, shorts, and a tank in each carry on just in case. As you get closer to your trip, you will be able to get a better idea of whether it might be warm enough to swim. Worst case scenario you have to buy swimsuits in Orlando. Enjoy your trip. January is my favorite month to travel to WDW.

We went at the end of January, but we were able to go swimming one day. I would say we were there during an unseasonably cold time because it was during the big freeze up north. The temps in Orlando got down to 30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter