Webmaster Request

I even got a comment because I had pulled together all of the DISers that I could find on our sailing and called it the "OFFICIAL" thread for the Sept. 21st Wonder???? One poster asked 'just what makes one thread any more official than another'??? LOL!!!

Actually that was me Wishing on a Star and if you re-read you'll see that there was a smiley behind it.
:p
I found it hilarious how putting "official" in front of a thread about a cruise date makes it more valid than your run of the mill "unofficial" thread.;)
I just ignore the threads IF I'm not going on that cruise which unfortunately is the majority of the roll call threads. For those that want to have "Dis meets" , see who else is on your cruise they're great.
Maybe this way we can have all "official" threads and make them easier to find and not umpteen of them all over the place :smooth:
Cheers,
Grumbo

If you look at the top of the board where the locked threads are, you'll see that something like this already does exist:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326949

There's a link in the first post that goes to a website that lists cruises by date and shows who has "signed up" as being on that cruise. Ideally, everyone would just check in there to see who's on their cruise.

There's no way to stop people from making new threads for their own personal cruises though... and deleting or moving all of them would be a full-time job for any moderator.

Julie

FYI,

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413595

I noticed the abundance of these threads when I asked the question earlier, as there was already a sticky thread for the "roll call for..." and "who's going...", not withstanding the repeated thread starts.

There is a place for this activity that doesn't clutter the Board (see <b>Cruise's </b>post above).

Sure, the 24/7 search would be nice, but bandwidth and CPU is limited and we're not paying for it - the Webmasters have to moderate given their resources. The search downtime is an excuse for not looking first.

As I wrote the original thread, I was trying to make folks aware of the increased in traffic I had noticed, not temper enthusiasm or propose a limit of free speech. It rubbed some people the wrong way, and I apologize for not composing it in a more diplomatic manner.

I'm happy that the other viewpoint is being espoused. I'll try harder to exercise a little more consideration/etiquette myself.

Hey Grumbo... yep, it was YOU!!!! LOL!!! :wave:

Actually, there had been a couple of those, lost-on-page 10, 'Me Too' threads for my sailing... So that is why I collected all the names and info that I could, pulled it together, and created the 'official' one! We have been on page 1 now, with several pages of posts....

I'll bet there is some way the Mods could lock up that category, except for the threads pre-created for each sailing date... But, it would indeed be a job!

Don't see the Mods or the Webmasters jumpin' in here too fast! :D

I guess my thinking orginally was that several other sections on the Dis boards have several different catagories....ie.....
Disney for teens, disney for families...budget board...etc etc. I was just thinking that it made sense to put roll call posts in there own happy place maybe called "cruise roll call boards" This may be a huge task and not be something possible. It maybe something already in the works. I have no idea. What I do know is there are a lot of the "roll call" lists out on this board and it really makes it hard or easy to lose some of the other posts with questions or hints..etc. And I sure dont see any webmasters posting in here yet:)
Aimee

Hey GenieD... No flames this time!!!

Eek40, it would seem easy enough to just add a category!!!!

It is just me :jester: , and my BIG ideas, to have such a neat set-up!!! ( Okay, guilty as charged! )

There was a recent thread by the WebMaster who was looking for ideas for the boards here. Too bad we didn't all chime in then.

I like the idea of a separate category for roll call threads. We started our Halloween Cruiser 2002 thread more than 6 months out so would prefer no limit if that is possible. That thread was my lifeline to sanity during the 9 month wait for the cruise and a down year.

When there is a thread I want to follow, I subscribe to it using that option at the bottom of the page. Then I can go to my USER CP listing and find all subscribed threads for many months back when I am looking for something specific.

Jan :earsgirl:

Hey guys and gals,

You all have great input on this, but as you have discovered there is no way humanly possible to sub-categorize the "roll call" threads on this board. There are about 1100 sailngs per year and it's not possible to have stuck threads for each sailing, it would take up pages.

For now the current system is all we have, plus as Jan noted you can always SUBSCRIBE to a thread and then be notified when any new responses take place. That way you don't have to depend on search being up at the time either.

As for a sub-board for roll call threads, I'll pass it along. :)

I think it would be fine to lump all the roll call threads together, but I still don't see what the problem is to skip pass them. I mean it's your finger on a scroll button...scrolling about 1/8 of an inch. I scroll by threads all the time that aren't roll calls - but that I have no interest in. I also subscribe to threads I want to follow - and that's a very efficient way to follow something you are interested in.

I did not understand the last time this was posted - that when you go to the "see who is cruising" thread - that there's a list you can click on - and then you can see a list of those people that you are cruising with.

That's very nice - but it's a list. It's not interactive. You don't get to banty back and forth - you don't get to read about people coaching soccer, and planning what beer or wine to bring to a meet, and praying that the cruise happens because it's been a tough year...that's what makes the meat of the roll call threads, IMHO.

It's not a lot of "me too"...it's a lot of getting to know you.

If you could do that on a "list"...well, then I think people would flock to it. It just seems that the development of so many roll call threads is simply people reaching out to each other on the board and trying to "get acquainted" a bit before they sail.

The disboard seems to have a lot of threads that are very "community" oriented. Having fellow cruisers create their own "space" within that community still doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I guess I'm still completely mystified why the roll call threads are any different than threads about anything else. :confused:

As for a sub-board for roll call threads, I'll pass it along.

I could go for that!! Even if they weren't in Chronological order ;) That would be Wonderful!!

There are about 1100 sailngs per year and it's not possible to have stuck threads for each sailing, it would take up pages.

Hi Michelle:
Hmm with two ships, one of which, the Magic sails once a week is 52 sailings per year, and the Wonder does 2 sailings per week would be 104 sailings. Total 156.
Don't think it is quite as big as 1100 :) but bow to your knowledge of how these boards work.
Cheers,
Grumbo

Okay, so I used days rather than weeks when multiplying that, forgive me, been a long few weeks.

Of course it is 156 sailings per year, still too many to try and organize on this board separately.

The sub-board idea has been passed along.

One, it definitely would be tedious to maintain each of these separate threads. Two, a problem which I can easily imagine (and sorry if this hurts any feelings) would be the problem with threads being "hijacked" by those who either go off topic, chit chat back and forth with personal messages, or get off color to the point that I just don't care to read them or have my kids (who are getting excited about this cruise) reading them.

If you are limited to a single thread, and it gets, well, stupid, then you would be unable to start something fresh (I would assume, or that would defeat the underlying point of one thread for each cruise?) Not sure if this makes sense, but I know that I have subscribed to threads before which got annoying and I unsubscribed. It would be frustrating to deal with that if it happened on your official thread for your cruise!

Originally posted by FredS
One, it definitely would be tedious to maintain each of these separate threads. Two, a problem which I can easily imagine (and sorry if this hurts any feelings) would be the problem with threads being "hijacked" by those who either go off topic, chit chat back and forth with personal messages, or get off color to the point that I just don't care to read them or have my kids (who are getting excited about this cruise) reading them.

If you are limited to a single thread, and it gets, well, stupid, then you would be unable to start something fresh (I would assume, or that would defeat the underlying point of one thread for each cruise?) Not sure if this makes sense, but I know that I have subscribed to threads before which got annoying and I unsubscribed. It would be frustrating to deal with that if it happened on your official thread for your cruise!

Fred,
Just to carify, I the op on this thread, was not suggesting one single thread for cruise roll calls, what I am suggesting is a special board within the dcl boards that would just be for the "roll calls" there could be one for every sailing, or maybe even more than one, but just having a special spot for them all to be. So that this board can be for tips, questions, suggestions, special requests...etc . Just making sure that this thread kinda sticks to my original idea.
Aimee

what I am suggesting is a special board within the dcl boards that would just be for the "roll calls" there could be one for every sailing, or maybe even more than one, but just having a special spot for them all to be.

Aaaahhh! I see the light!! :) Good idea! Sounds like a solution that would work for everyone. Hope it goes through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter