Weekend before Thanksgiving....

crystal1313

DIS Veteran
Hello! My family and I are tentatively planning a trip the weekend before Thanksgiving. Either going to the parks Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday. We used to do this every year, but haven't for the past 3 years. In the past, crowds were manageable. I guess I am looking to see if anyone went the weekend before Thanksgiving last year and give me any insight as to what the crowds were like? We always go in prepared that it will be super packed regardless...but it is nice to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks! :goodvibes

because thanksgiving was at it's earliest date in November 2018 , it will be hard to compare the weekend of last year to this 2019 weekend when thanksgiving is on the 28th for 2019, though 6 days apart not may seem to be many days, the two dates are great contrast in crowds for Thanksgiving and the holiday weekends. when on the 22, it opens up a whole new week for visiting Disneyland that will not be in play this year. So it should be very crowded this year as 2015 was the last date that nov 30th fell on a monday, hence the week after thanksgiving was actually the first week of December. So three years ago....was maxpass available to you then...I don't have the introduction date to Maxpass memorized.

That is such a good point, I didn't even think about that. 🤔 Hmmm....Originally we were looking at the first weekend in December, which I know might be nuts because of CP. Our oldest just started middle school and doesn't feel comfortable missing a day of school. We are thinking the weekend prior to Thanksgiving since he has the whole week off and we can drive home Monday without him missing school.

I don't think we had Maxpass, but I really don't remember. We are debating MP this trip. We usually do one park per day, and I can be the FP runner....but if crowds are crazy, we will probably end up getting MP. I just wish it wasn't $15 each.

Maxpass will be the only way for you to enjoy the holiday visit for this year. Read the Maxpass threads....you will become a believer!!!!! Whereas for the weekend prior ...flights are cheaper that weekend, if folks are staying with families ( which I do), the visit has less of a budget strains to visit DLR that weekend, hang out with family and then return to DLR Wednesday for one last visit and I fly out on the friday after Thanksgiving. I keep tabs here on Thanksgiving because I am intrigued by the date change and always asked my freshman students the numerical date of Thanksgiving, 99.5% always had it wrong.

This is when we are going. Plan for it to be busy and the closer it gets to Thanksgiving, the busier it gets. Maxpass for sure. I would rope drop and try to accomplish as much as possible in the early morning. If you go into it knowing it will be crazy, it won't be so bad IMO anyway.

Thank you! Yes, we always go at rope drop! And stay as late as my DS10 can handle! (Usually 11ish) I feel like not park hopping we actually get more done because we are only focusing on one park. We will see. We are leaning towards going on Sat & Sun, then driving home Monday.

Crowd patterns are so different this year, I am hesitant to base expectations on past experiences. That said, the weekend before Thanksgiving I have always found very pleasant compared to the week itself and the weekend following. The crowds usually started building on the Monday and continued throughout the week. With the addition of the flex pass and Star Wars this year though, who knows?

We went two years ago the Monday -Thursday after thanksgiving and up until Thursday it was crazy slow. Maybe 20-25 minute waits if that. Thursday was starting to get more crowded

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter