Weird packing question

slipton27

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

I have a weird packing question. I make my own ear headbands and I am playing to take several pairs on my next visit. Any thoughts on the best way to pack them? I want to keep them safe and just packing them in my overstuffed luggage seems like a bad idea.

Thanks in advance!
Slipton27

Carry them on along with your laptop (presuming that you'll bring one)? I often fly with my own lunch, which I always put in my small "personal item" backpack.

Carry them on along with your laptop (presuming that you'll bring one)? I often fly with my own lunch, which I always put in my small "personal item" backpack.

This! When I fly I bring a backpack instead of a purse as my personal item, usually I just have things I want on the plane in it (my tablet, earbuds, snacks, a change of clothing in case my checked bag winds up in Nepal, if DD is with me then coloring book and crayons, that sort of thing). The backpack is used on my trip for going to the parks so it does double duty. Anyway I always have room to spare and it could easily fit some ear headbands. Even if you have a larger carryon bag that goes in the overhead bin you are still allowed a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, and backpacks meet the requirements as a personal item.

If for whatever reason you can't do something like that, then I'd put them in the very middle of your larger suitcase, surrounded by clothing. So for instance pack all your pants as the bottom layer, then the ears, then shirts on top - with "hard" items like shoes along the sides. If you are going to pack liquids, make sure those are double bagged in Ziploc to protect from leaks (not just for your ears but all your clothing too!). Even if the baggage handlers are extra rough or your bag is smooshed on it's journey, the ears should be safe if packed in the middle.

Last edited:

We use packing cubes in all our lighauand “Mickey” eats are no exception! They travel really well in packing cubes and if you’re concerned about them (some are more delicate then others) wrap a t-shirt etc around them too :)

Thanks for the replies! We are traveling by train, then rental car, then flying home, so i’ve been concerned about my ears. They are 3D printed so I worry about them being delicate. We use packing cubes, and I like the idea of packing them there. Thanks again!

We got custom ears for a trip to WDW a couple years ago. Because it's a long flight from WA, we wore them on the flight with no shame whatsoever. Gotta do what you gotta do!

If you don't want to wear them, I've also carried them in my hands or put them in a shopping bag and hand carried that.

My Mickey ears have to travel a long time in my luggage...I can’t really put them in my carry on gab cause that is even more full and cramped than my suitcase...( my bags are always completely full and I barely stay under the wheight limit)
Wearing the ears isn’t really an option either if you first fly from LA to Hawaii ( stay there for 2 weeks and on the way back having a red eye flight with a 7h stop over in San Francisco and then with another stop back to Germany... (25+ Hours of traveling time)
Never the less my ears already survived this trip twice...!

I put them in the middle of may bag on top of a Layer of T-shirt’s or similar and then fill the ears and the „folded hat part“ (I have Mickey ears so not just a hairband...) with socks or other small and soft stuff to fill it. And then I try to put T-shirt’s or towels around them so nothing can pinch them and then I put stuff on top of the ears so I end up with a even and level layer of clothes on top of them... ( so they are basically inside a „Box“ of layers of cloth)
i hope you understand what I mean. It is kind of hard to describe it properly...
But so far they always travelled safe and unharmed...I do the same thing with my Donald Duck hat as well... I just had some problems last year with Mickey ears, Donald hat and that Mickey Ballon popcorn bucket...but everything got back to Germay safely... they key really is to fill everything up so wheight on top of it and compression can’t break them...

We got custom ears for a trip to WDW a couple years ago. Because it's a long flight from WA, we wore them on the flight with no shame whatsoever. Gotta do what you gotta do!
Most fun we have ever had at the airport was when my youngest daughter, and then a few years later, my oldest grandson, wore ears throughout the Portland Airport. Everyone pointed them out, asked them to say hi to Mickey, etc. Made it all the more magical! I may wear mine too, next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!