Welcome to WISH-topia! March 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

I had to do close to an hour's commute a few years ago for 6 months - I struggled with it - The drive itself was mostly ok as it was straight highway driving for the most part - but it was the distance that got to me over time or if there was an accident and there was no choice but to just sit and crawl through it - also having the kids made it more difficult for me - it meant they were at my parents for breakfast and then a late pick up close to dinner time and then I was so much further away from them if anything happened in the day (I know you don't have that concern yet - but you may want to think about it if kids are in your future plans/hopes). I found that when I stopped after getting my transfer back to the coast that was when I actually noticed what a toll it had taken on me and my body - although I was able to mostly push through it at the time because that is what we do when we have to. Sooooo whilst a one day trial will give you a taste - a full work week doing it may give you a better idea.... Lots of people do it I know - lots of people drive from here on the coast about 90minutes to work in Brisbane every day.

Thank you so much for your input! I am really torn about the commute. On the one hand, it's not too terrible since DH and I work together-- If we do this he will drive mornings, I'll drive evenings. The sharing makes it easier - plus the carpool lane. My FIL (boss) will be closing the store earlier before traffic hits (doesn't account for accidents though). Kids are the major factor. If we move, we can afford a house with a yard and a pool. If we stay, it's just the condo. Which, of course, is not hardly the worst thing in the world. But I see the kids that live in our building riding their bikes back and forth in the small parking lot, and I want more than that. Plus we don't know what will happen when it's time for school. I'm trying not to base it too much off of a situation at least 7 years in the future.... so much could change by then-- and who knows? Kids may not even be in the starts for us. But even still if it does happen: by then, I could be working from home (thank goodness for the family business where I can do keep the books and do payroll from home a few days a week) or even our side business may be enough by then for me to work on that full time (again from home). I just don't know... Gaaahhhhh making adult decisions is hardddd!

I really haven't made good progress this month or in a year really - Whilst I have gone up and down with weight - I really haven't lost anything. I am really upset with myself by this. I am feeling very down about it all and what I see for myself in the future - This is probably why I haven't been posting much this month - I just feel awful and like I have not been living up to the reason I joined you all in the first place. I have been contemplating sitting next month out. I am frustrated with myself - I SHOULD be able to do this ---- I NEED to be able to do this - but here I am a year later - back to no activity and eating crap way too often. Sooo .... I think I will take a break from posting and goal setting on here next month and just see if I can get myself back to a point where I feel I can honestly contribute to the QOTDs - I may drop by a little to check on you all. I am going to enjoy some time with kids over this break. March sometimes sneaks up on me emotionally as well as it has an anniversary that is now just a sad reminder of what could/should have been :(

I completely understand about the break to recenter, refocus, and spend time with the kids :) Please don't hesitate to drop in and let us know how you're doing!

I am down 4 lbs this month so I'm checking in at 80% for the month. That's not too bad all things considered. I have learned not to be too hard on myself and I am stronger than I give myself credit.

I can host for April if we don't have one.

That's great that you're down - and also a great lesson :)

You're awesome for volunteering!!!

Last edited:
Friday Fun! - March 31

Happy Friday! Happy End of March!

movies 1.jpg
movies 2.jpg

One of my favorite Easter Eggs in Zootopia is the Disney movie spoofs.

So what's your favorite Disney movie? And why?
I know that's a hard question for a bunch of Disney fans, so top 3 is totally acceptable too!

Also, post your final percentages and I will get them posted up later today.

And lastly, thank you guys for being here and all the wonderful support we give each other!

What an interesting week! Happy hour got out of hand (as it almost always does) and so I had to have a friend come pick me up from the bar at 12:30a Thursday morning:rolleyes1. Poor guy. But I'm so grateful that I have people I can call to pick me up and I'm proud of myself for not giving into peer pressure and driving or letting someone equally as drunk drive me home.

That said, that was 2 days of not working out and eating worse than terribly. I am so very happy to be back on track this morning. Eating healthy, I hit the gym. Ready for another week. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my 1700 calorie goal that I'm rockin' right now. So I'm going to calculate my macros today and start really tracking that tomorrow. Going to the grocery store this evening because all my snacks were very carb heavy which isn't a problem but I need more protein to balance it out! Especially since protein is what keeps you full, longer.

QOTD -

The other day someone asked me to come up with a top 10 movie list. Here are the top 3 (no particular order)

1. Moana
2. BATB
3. Lion King

Kids are the major factor.

But as you said: Do you have to make a decision on where your kids should grow up now? Even if a kid would be born, for the first year or so, the yard would really not be of that much importance. So, once you decide to start a family you would still have nearly 2 years to find a new place if you want to move somewhere where there is more space. Yes, being pregnant and caring for a new-born are challenges in itself. But ultimately your living situation now needs to fit with how you want to live your life now and not in some future situation that might happen (or not). Unfortunately, becoming a parent is not a certainty. I have some friends who truly struggled and I think if that stress came on top of being unhappy with a commute and such, it would be not a good combination.

I don't want to scare you, I have just seen so many of my friends go through similar thoughts. And the one thing I took away from watching them was that the once who made decisions on what makes them happy actually seem to have the happier kids as well.

And I think @4Mickeys suggestion of trying out the commute for a longer time period is a good idea.

I completed 11 running miles this week so that put me at over 100% for the month. Yea!

What have you learned from yourself this month?
What do you see for yourself in the future?

This month, instead of doing a weight goal, I did an activity goal which worked really well for me. My weight is always up and down and when I make losing a certain amount a goal my emotions start getting tied to the scale. I start to get really bummed when the scale goes back up. When doing the activity goal it was much easier for me to accomplish the goal and feel good about myself in the process. I think going forward I will try to stick with activity goals.

Top 3:
1. Incredibles - Love the family aspect (Finally a 2nd one coming out!)
2. Wreck-It-Ralph - Love the humor and colors (Wreck-It-Ralph 2 in the works, woohoo!)
3. Brave - I really like the mother/daughter dynamic

Looking foward to April!

QOTD:

Favorite Disney movies... oddly enough I'm not a huge Disney movie watcher but I have seen some of them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to see the live-action Beauty and the Beast this weekend, and did enjoy the live action Cinderella. And I'm really looking forward to the new Mary Poppins.

Results for the month... in a mad dash for the finish line I've managed to get to 50% of goal.... 5 pounds lost from a goal of 10. And even just that five pounds feels pretty darn good. It's now just over two weeks away from vacation and I probably won't make my -15 goal, so my new revised more realistic goal is to lose another five pounds before we go, for a total of -10.

Day two was far more challenging, I came pretty close to 10,000 steps just from all the trips to the ladies room. All day I was thinking about how I'd like to have a huge serving of stir-fry for dinner: I use Coconut Aminos instead of teriyaki or soy sauce but needed to get some, and thought to try turkey tenders instead of chicken. Went to the grocery store and they had neither - dang. I didn't feel like driving all the way up to the store most likely to have them, so ended up having rice and a hamburger patty for dinner.

No big plans for the weekend, other than sewing and possibly going to the movie. The forecast is for some periods of no rain, so I will get some clean up done outside. It should be a nice relaxing weekend.

Thanks LadyMarie for a great month... now on to April!

But as you said: Do you have to make a decision on where your kids should grow up now? Even if a kid would be born, for the first year or so, the yard would really not be of that much importance. So, once you decide to start a family you would still have nearly 2 years to find a new place if you want to move somewhere where there is more space. Yes, being pregnant and caring for a new-born are challenges in itself. But ultimately your living situation now needs to fit with how you want to live your life now and not in some future situation that might happen (or not). Unfortunately, becoming a parent is not a certainty. I have some friends who truly struggled and I think if that stress came on top of being unhappy with a commute and such, it would be not a good combination.

I don't want to scare you, I have just seen so many of my friends go through similar thoughts. And the one thing I took away from watching them was that the once who made decisions on what makes them happy actually seem to have the happier kids as well.

No, that doesn't scare me at all. And thank you for your input. :-) It's something I think about all the time as well. Kids certainly may not even happen. I mean we would love a nice yard and pool ourselves, but it's not something we are desperate for right at this moment--it's more of a cherry on top. We know we want to move. We definitely know that. Our neighbors are awful, we are tired of condo living, and the market now is great for us to sell too. But moving to a more local townhouse for just us is certainly an option. Our town is weird in that, the only decent affordable housing near our store is condos. If we want something other than a condo, we have to move further west from the ocean. No major highways connect east and west, so the commute is 40 minutes to get out to where we can afford a townhouse. For the same money, and 20 min more commute, we can get a house with lower taxes and insurance. Culture also factors. My town is routinely voted one of the rudest cities in America. I believe it, and I am tired of it. I completely agree I need to do what makes DH and I happy right now -- not for some future ideal. Just not 100% sure on what this is....

There's so many pro and cons both ways. I guess I need to make a good old fashioned pro/con list!

Sorry for my unrelated ramblings -- it's preying on my mind, and I don't have an objective audience since all my people have strong opinions going both ways Haha!

Sorry I have not really come back with progress updates.
I started at 175lbs and I am now 170lbs and my goal was to be 169lbs by March 7th when I leave for WDW so I'm hoping I'll reach my goal.
I altready joined the April thread. We'll see how well I do with updating my progress lol.

I think for me it is the fact that I get a very positive boost when I can talk about something good that I did - and the encouragement when things don't go so well. When I don't post, I don't get the feedback (and if it is just a like under my post).

Hope April will be a great month for all of us - which reminds me: Do we have a hostess lined up???

I re-read my comment and realized it didn't really explain my thoughts.... but like you, when I post about my food and exercise choices AND GET FEEDBACK or feel like I AM ENCOURAGING OTHERS, I get that boost! It's not just about posting.... I could do that anywhere. It is knowing that I am sharing with others who are on a similar journey.

@pjlla... absolutely! As much as I love Boston, I just can't see spending that much for an add-on to the real trip, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to fly right in to Manchester a few days early and get a car to do some exploring, then return the car and either shuttle or carpool to the camp. The retreat is at Rockwold Deephaven Camps, which I guess is just north of Center Harbor and an hour or so away from Manchester. Would love to meet up... also if you have any recommendations for interesting places to explore, possibly history focused that would be great.

If you want to explore NH a bit, here is what I am familiar with..... there is a place called "American Stonehenge" in Salem (about 20 minutes south of MHT) that is neat (you can google it)... also Robert Frost Farm is in that same vicinity. The Manchester Mills have a nice small history museum and if you really like that kind of history the Lowell Mills are about another 40 minutes south of there. There is the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester and the Zimmerman House (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright). Of course there is the usual restaurants, malls, lakes, parks, etc. If you've never been to Boston it wouldn't be unreasonable to want to at least go for a day..... see the waterfront, Old North Church, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Freedom Trail, and may be Salem.

Let me know when you are coming so I can check my schedule! I have a busy spring with DD's college commencement (and her possible move out of state for a job/internship), a bridal shower I will be hosting for my nephew's fiance, graduation party for DD, etc. But those are just a few days.... my schedule is super flexible other that that!

Friday Fun! - March 31

Happy Friday! Happy End of March!

One of my favorite Easter Eggs in Zootopia is the Disney movie spoofs.

I know that's a hard question for a bunch of Disney fans, so top 3 is totally acceptable too!

Also, post your final percentages and I will get them posted up later today.

And lastly, thank you guys for being here and all the wonderful support we give each other!

TOUGH QUESTION!!! I will list my top 3 but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time in the near or distant future!

1.The Little Mermaid

2. Cinderella

3. Toy Story

But even as I finished typing that, I was changing my mind!! TOO HARD!!

It was a GREAT month with wonderful QOTD, video clips, GIFs, etc! Obviously a lot of work went into it and for that I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!! I"m sorry I wasn't around more to participate.

WOOT, WOOT!! Thanks! I'll be there in a jif!

Morning all! I'm officially reporting in with a big GOOSE EGG of progress (0%) for the month. Nuf' said. :rolleyes1

I'll see you in April!.................P

I don't know if I could pick just 3 movies. Cinderella will always be my favorite. It was my first favorite however I like the Robert's and Hammerstein version on the movie. In my older kid/teen years it was little mermaid, bueaty and the beast, Aladin and lion King. I think now would be maleficent, moana and the new bueaty and the beast.

I didn't weigh my self this morning so I am going to say I have a big fat zero this month. I did have a good day. I ate pretty good and worked out first thing this morning.

I re-read my comment and realized it didn't really explain my thoughts.... but like you, when I post about my food and exercise choices AND GET FEEDBACK or feel like I AM ENCOURAGING OTHERS, I get that boost! It's not just about posting.... I could do that anywhere. It is knowing that I am sharing with others who are on a similar journey.

If you want to explore NH a bit, here is what I am familiar with..... there is a place called "American Stonehenge" in Salem (about 20 minutes south of MHT) that is neat (you can google it)... also Robert Frost Farm is in that same vicinity. The Manchester Mills have a nice small history museum and if you really like that kind of history the Lowell Mills are about another 40 minutes south of there. There is the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester and the Zimmerman House (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright). Of course there is the usual restaurants, malls, lakes, parks, etc. If you've never been to Boston it wouldn't be unreasonable to want to at least go for a day..... see the waterfront, Old North Church, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Freedom Trail, and may be Salem.

Let me know when you are coming so I can check my schedule! I have a busy spring with DD's college commencement (and her possible move out of state for a job/internship), a bridal shower I will be hosting for my nephew's fiance, graduation party for DD, etc. But those are just a few days.... my schedule is super flexible other that that!

TOUGH QUESTION!!! I will list my top 3 but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time in the near or distant future!

1.The Little Mermaid

2. Cinderella

3. Toy Story

But even as I finished typing that, I was changing my mind!! TOO HARD!!

It was a GREAT month with wonderful QOTD, video clips, GIFs, etc! Obviously a lot of work went into it and for that I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!! I"m sorry I wasn't around more to participate.

WOOT, WOOT!! Thanks! I'll be there in a jif!

Morning all! I'm officially reporting in with a big GOOSE EGG of progress (0%) for the month. Nuf' said. :rolleyes1

I'll see you in April!.................P
Thanks pjlla... arrival day for the retreat is Weds 06.07, so it'll be a couple days before that. I have been to Boston, so am willing to forego it for other explorations and everything you've listed sounds interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!