My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

Whew! Last night was quite the workout for an old broken man!! Did my 3 mile run and then an upper body workout with DW in the garage!!

Super excited to announce that I broke 10 min mile avg pace during this run!!!

Fitbit stats
Total time 30:04
Total distance 3.03 miles
mile 1- 10:01
mile 2- 9:58
mile 3- 9:47 <---- fastest mile since my accident most of this is slightly downhill, but I'm still pretty excited about seeing this!!
Avg pace- 9:55

Garage workout
10 sets of 10 reps

TRX rows
Tricep ext w/ DB
TRX chest press
Bicep curls w/ DB
30 sec elbow planks

I was pretty whooped after that!
After seeing my avg pace I think i could possibly run my 5k in under 30 min this Sunday.

Wednesday garage workout same as Monday.

Thursday was a quick run and no garage workout. Had to make it to a surprise bday party for son-in-law.

Fitbit stats
Total time 19:57
Total distance 2.01 miles
mile 1- 9:42
mile 2- 10:05

Felt rushed this entire run. But I really wanted to keep my schedule for running.

Sunday was supposed to be a 4 mile run. But, I scheduled a 5k instead. I'll be running in the Nookachamps 5k. Might be a little sweaty when I head to church... I'll be polite and keep my distance from folks!! :D

Nookachamps 5k summary

Weather was chilly 37 and cloudy. Fortunately no wind.

Race was nice all 3 races, 5k, 10k & half started at the same location and same time. This made for a little bit of crowding at the start. I fell into a comfortable pace for me pretty quickly and only had to work my way around a couple small groups.

Fitbit stats

Total distance 3.11 miles
Total time 30:29
mile 1- 9:47
mile 2- 9:41
mile 3- 9:49
.11 mile- 10:22 <------ this was soooooo disappointing:sad2:

A solid run for me. I'm really happy with my pace until the end.
My goal was to try and run under 30 min. If I am reading the splits correctly.... the last .11 miles killed that chance.
Had I just maintained a 9:50 pace I could have made it.... ugh...

On the plus side Strava says I PR'd a bunch of distances!! Whoop whoop!!:cool1:

All of the following were PR times
5k- 30:20
2 mile- 19:24
1 mile- 9:36
1/2 mile- 4:40
400m- 2:16

I'm super happy with the PR's and I'll work to get that 5k to sub 30 min.

EDIT: Last second update.
Results showed I finished 25th out of 90 runners, 6th out of 10 in the 50-59.
Not too bad I guess. Considering the last 7 months.... I'll take it.

Last edited:
Monday night:

Garage workout
10 sets of 10 reps

TRX rows
Tricep ext w/ DB
TRX chest press
Bicep curls w/ DB
30 sec elbow planks

Tuesday morning:

Fitbit stats
Total distance 3.12 miles
Total time 35:31
mile 1- 11:27
mile 2- 11:28
mile 3- 11:16
.12 miles- 11:12

Purposely ran slower this morning. Just wanted to go out and do a relaxing run. Wasn't looking to push myself. Took my furry buddy with me. He did great!!
Thursday's run is 2 miles. I'm planning on pushing a little harder on that one.

Reflection from Sunday's Nookachamps 5k.... I've come a long way in 7 months.
From literally laying on my back counting the dots in the ceiling tiles, wondering if I could ever run again,
to running my first solo 5k and making steady gains. From my first mile of 18 min after the accident, to running sub 10 min miles.

I beat myself up a little for not breaking 30 min in the 5k. But really, when I think about it.... I'm blessed to be able to run at all.
So for now, I'm happy with my progress. Even if I complain about not making enough of it...

Tuesday night

Garage workout

10 sets of 10 for everything
TRX Squats
Leg ext
TRX knee tucks
Swiss ball hamstring curl
calf raises

Good workout! Definitely felt it last night after the early morning run!

Thursday night

Because I played hooky from the garage Wednesday I decided to make up for it by doing Wed and Thur workouts together. Managed to get thru both! But boy am I feeling that today!

Started with my 2 mile run

Total distance 2.0
mile 1- 9:57
mile 2- 10:10

The run was really good. Pace was comfortable.

Garage workout

10 sets of 10 for everything
TRX Squats
Leg ext
TRX knee tucks
Swiss ball hamstring curl
calf raises

Garage workout
10 sets of 10 reps

TRX rows
Tricep ext w/ DB
TRX chest press
Bicep curls w/ DB
30 sec elbow planks

Whew! That was a lot! Rest the next two days and a 4.5 mile run on Sunday. Haven't decided if I should get up extra early and get it done or run after work. Leaning toward getting up a little earlier than normal!

Sunday morning before work run! Up at 3:08, chilly morning 36 and clear sky. Actually a great morning for a run. Last minute decision to put on sweats instead of shorts, but other than that getting out the door was smooth. May have to build in some time to eat a granola bar or something in the morning. Running much more than I did this morning on an empty tank is probably a bad idea.

Fitbit stats

Total distance 4.53 miles
Total time 49:41
Avg pace 10:57
mile 1- 10:54
mile 2- 10:59
mile 3- 10:57
mile 4- 10:59
.53 miles- 10:56

The goal this morning was to run at a nice relaxing pace. I've really been pushing to try and break the 10 min mile. But my heart rate has really been elevated during those runs. Nothing like dangerous elevated, just higher than I would like. Today my avg heart rate was 163. Very comfortable for me. I felt like I could keep 11 min mile pace going for much longer. But I also know from previous experience that I will run out of fuel around 5 miles, especially when the tank is empty to start.

All in all a good run! BTW, took Sully with me. He did great! I think he likes the longer runs!

Hi All!! This is my first DIS board post, and hopefully won't be my last. I'm going to do my best to make post about my progress and training in here on my way to the Dopey challenge in 2020.

Then, disaster. I totaled my baby (Camaro), and broke my L1 vertebrae and sternum, I'm now fused from T12 to L2. Doc said no running for 90 days :sad:. Well, my 90 days are up and I've started training again. Doc says 2 weeks on the bike before running, so I did my first bike ride last night. 45 min 15 miles on my stationary recumbent bike(sooooo boring). Physical therapy twice a week, 3 bike rides per week and I hope to start back running October 15th.

The plan is to start with C25K again and build back up! I've got to do a lot of core training along with the running. I've signed up to do a 5k in December, with plans to follow up with a 10k early next spring and a half marathon by Sept. Then I will switch my training to Hal Higdon's training for the Dopey.

I've never done anything more than a 10k, so the Dopey will be my first full marathon. I'll happily listen to all suggestions!!

Although I'm a little late to your training journal I just wanted to say how amazing your determination is. It's not easy dealing with a silent injury that people can't see and it's even worse when people tell you you can't do something or doubt your commitment. I think you're on an amazing journey and I can't wait to see how you progress throughout the year.

I've just started my own training journal and share a spinal injury (degenerative disc disease - my spine is collapsing) and have Dopey 2022 in my sights. Right now I'm working up to the full race schedule for Wine & Dine 2019 and although I'm a little further along in my recovery process I just wanted to assure you that under proper medical supervision it definitely can be done - even when everyone tries to convince you that it can't.

Wow! Thanks for the encouraging words! Just read about the degenerative disc disease, that sounds very unpleasant.... I wish you the best in your treatment and training! Good luck for Dopey 2022!! You'll get there!

Monday garage workout:

Garage workout
10 sets of 10 reps

TRX rows
Tricep ext w/ DB
TRX chest press
Bicep curls w/ DB
30 sec elbow planks

Motivation was lagging when we stepped into the garage last night. But, DW and I pushed through it and had a great workout! Was supposed to get up and run 3 miles this morning, but when my phone said it was 27 out I decided I'd run this afternoon instead. Now I kinda feel like a weenie cause I see others are out running in the snow and single digits!! Kudo's to those of you who can get out there in all kinds of weather!!

DW's shoulder was soooorre after last nights workout. Hopefully she just overdid it a bit and its not an injury of some type. UGH....

Belated, but congrats on the 5k! Keep up the hard work!

Thanks! Just gotta keep putting in the miles!!

Tuesdays run:

Total distance 3.1 miles
Total time 32:49
mile 1- 10:21
mile 2- 10:47
mile 3- 10:39
.1 mile 9:58

What a great evening for a run. Sunny, 45 ish and no wind!! Tried to keep a comfortable pace, felt pretty good!

Forgot to mention I go myself some new running kicks. I picked up some Brooks Glycerin 16! Like running on a pillow! I give them two thumbs up so far! Of course this is just my second run with them.

Thursday run

Fitbit stats

Total distance 2.08 miles
Total time 21:27
mile 1- 10:15
mile 2- 10:27
.08 mile 9:08

What a great night for a run! 50 ish, a little over cast and no wind! I tried to run at a comfortable pace again. Everything felt good!
5 mile run on Sunday, keeping an eye on the weather as they are calling for snow... yuk!

Sunday run

Fitbit stats

Total distance 5.04 miles
Total tiime 54:32
mile 1- 10:55
mile 2- 11:11
mile 3- 10:49
mile 4- 10:48
mile 5- 10:20
.04 mile 10:19

Literally beat the snow by 10 min! And then it started, and snowed and snowed and then snowed a little more. All said and done we got about 8 inches. Now this might not seem like a lot in other parts of the country. But, up here it is a ton!! Hard to believe but we just don't have the snow removal equipment to deal with this and the roads are still crazy bad! Very worried about getting my run in today. Might have to call the Y and see if I can get a day pass and run on a treadmill.

Also made a little something for my grandsons bedroom on Sunday!

51212020_10215048605111724_912003264122191872_n.jpg

He loves it!! Mostly because the LED's come with a remote and can change colors!

Monday's workout in the garage was a chilly one. Best the heater could do was get it up to 62... but since it was 24 outside, it wasn't really all that bad.

Garage workout
10 sets of 10 reps

TRX rows
Tricep ext w/ DB
TRX chest press
Bicep curls w/ DB
30 sec elbow planks

One more pic in the bedroom

Screenshot_20190205-071711.png

Last edited:
Looks like I'm slacking a bit on keeping this up to date.

Completed Mon, Tues, Wed garage workouts.
Couldn't run outside because my city's inability to clean sidewalks. I was going to try and get to the Y for a drop in, but they have been closing early all week. Ugh... soooooo I rode the recumbent stationary bike instead. I rode for 10 miles in about 33 min. Boring, but effective I guess. Weather is supposed to get crappy again Friday into Saturday. I still want to try and get my long run in. I'm within walking distance of the Y. Just have to hope they are open Sunday.

PS: I... Hate... Winter....

Sunday update.

Drove 30 miles north of my house to find a stretch of street and sidewalk not covered in snow and ice. On the plus side Fairhaven is a beautiful place to run with a portion of the run going along a boardwalk over Bellingham bay. Managed to get in my long run for the week! And then went to lunch with DW. A little shopping and then it started snowing so we headed home.

Fitbit stats

Total distance 5.6 miles
Total time 1:01:09
Avg pace 10:55
Avg heart rate 161
Mile 1- 10:21
Mile 2- 10:42
Mile 3- 10:59
Mile 4- 11:20
Mile 5- 11:02
.60 mile- 11:11

I was hoping to avg around 11 min. I think I did pretty good. Felt good to get out and run again. The weather is supposed to suck all week around here so I'm sure my week day runs are going to suffer again. Ugh.. Did I mention I... HATE... WINTER!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!