We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

Oh, and regarding blind, since I've not followed a DB plan, I can only say I pretty much never run blind. So, for me on our recent PR run, I watched my pace. Now, I found that I had settled into the pace we wanted pretty easily and we were pretty darn consistent, but I wanted that check on myself so that I didn't let myself let up at all when I got tired. Then, when we got to mile 12 or so and I REALLY wanted to slow down, I could tell myself, "you didn't run 12 miles at that pace just to give up in the last mile" and it helped.

@FredtheDuck, I think I'm with you here, in that I haven't really let it go in a run/race (yet). On the one hand, I would love to see what I'm capable of. On the other hand, I have these memories of how I used to feel back in high school or college, when running was a real chore for me, when I was huffing and puffing, and feeling like I might puke after just a mile. But, I didn't know anything about running back then, went as hard as I could, didn't really listen to any cues from within, continued to feel discouraged that I wasn't any good at it, and that I didn't like the way it made me feel, so was never consistent with it. Definitely a cautious person by nature (if you couldn't already tell), I'm always fearing pushing too hard and getting hurt too. The recent race accomplishments of @roxymama and @ZellyB have been very inspiring, and I would really like to try a 5k or 10k sometime next year after marathon recovery, with the "let it go" approach as well. :-)

You wrote: "Because whenever I race, I feel like I start at a hard pace but consistently tell myself I need to rein it in, so I step down to hard-ish... "

So my answer is...don't do that. Don't reign it in only because that's what you think you should be doing. it's been an issue for me in the past. Now if you are in major pain, or your breathing is just really uncontrollable, or if you are getting dizzy, etc...yeah reign it in. But if the only reason you are slowing down is because you think your pace is too fast. Ignore your pace....pay attention to your body pushing hard. Remember what tempo felt like. You can push that. It's gonna get really really hard those last 2 miles. You may be running the same type of pace as the first mile and it will feel so much harder. Just keep pushing. You may think you are physically slowing down a TON...but you may be wrong. It may just be a little bit, it just feels like a lot.

That's my "from very recent memory" very non-specific advise. It also helps that it is 10k because I KNOW you can do a 10k at race speed. I KNOW YOU CAN!!!
100%. I would always try to ease into a race, no matter the distance, and then one day at some nothing 5K I thought, "why don't I start off at a sprint like the rest of these idiots at the front and see how long I can hold it???" Turns out I could hold it (or at least a close approximation) for 5K. Then a few weeks later I did it for a 10K and guess what? It worked too! Then a few months later I tried it for a half marathon...yup it worked again. We were just telling @ZellyB this a few weeks ago, you are stronger and faster than your brain wants you to realize...that stupid brain of ours starts sending our legs messages to slow down and it is up to us to decide if we are willing to push and hurt (the good kind of hurt, NOT pain) for just a little bit longer. There's s lot of people that use the phrase (and it is s good phrase) "SHUT UP LEGS!!", but maybe we should really be saying "SHUT UP BRAIN!!"

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in. This has been really motivating food for thought, and I feel a little better about my approach this weekend.

So my answer is...don't do that. Don't reign it in only because that's what you think you should be doing. it's been an issue for me in the past. Now if you are in major pain, or your breathing is just really uncontrollable, or if you are getting dizzy, etc...yeah reign it in.

Thanks! I think I just have to get comfortable being uncomfortable (but not in major pain!). Before this year, I never considered races to be well... races. They were just training runs where I got a t-shirt. So I ran them the same way I ran everything else... nice easy runs, just taking it all in. Since then, I've had one race where I worked hard (my 5k PR earlier this year) but still probably had more in the tank, and one where I pushed hard for distance but didn't press for speed (the half). So, this'll be new, because I know I have the endurance for a fast(er) 10k and I've certainly been better about training. We'll see!

Remember what tempo felt like. You can push that.

That's true. I've been pushing tempo paces for a while now. This is a good way to think about it.

It also helps that it is 10k because I KNOW you can do a 10k at race speed. I KNOW YOU CAN!!!

Well, you just gave me an excellent example to follow!

You can also swear at your inner gremlins...I've heard that works for some of us

Oh there will be swearing... believe you me.

Going for broke pretty much means you run as hard as you can and you don't care about what happens next.

Thanks for this. I'm trying to internalize that this is a really good opportunity to try this. My next half isn't until May of next year, and this cycle was all about maintenance and building endurance. For this particular race at this particular moment, there's no harm in really testing my limits... no fear that if I overdo it, I risk throwing off training for some other, more important race in a few weeks/months. So it's a really good opportunity to say "eh, whatever, just GO FOR IT and see what happens." And I will!

Just look at how relaxed Usain is running faster than any other human ever.

TRUE! And he usually looks like he's having a blast.

Like imagine Billy yelling "YOU'RE CRUSHING IT" or me yelling "I AM MOANA!"

Remember how in the half I dedicated miles to certain people to keep me motivated when my legs got tired? This race, I'll think of super awesome things like these. In other news, I legit had a dream last night that someone was literally chasing me to the finish line with a giant fritter (why I was running from the fritter is beyond me). So that happened.

Turns out, I was probably overthinking it a lot.

Me too, for sure. I think I "listen to my body" a little too much in these situations, too.

no big deal if I crashed and burned. So what really? I was only ever going to find out if I could do it if I tried

YES. THIS. Even if I do crash and have to walk at the end, the race has a generous time limit compared to my current fitness. So I try hard and don't get it done? I come back here, I report what happened, and figure out how to do better next time. As much as it would suck to have to come back with a defeat instead of a victory, that's part of growing, right?

like Roxy said, that passed quickly and was replaced with sheer happiness.

I love that feeling of sheer happiness when you finish a race that you were daunted by. Fingers crossed.

I'm always fearing pushing too hard and getting hurt too. The recent race accomplishments of @roxymama and @ZellyB have been very inspiring, and I would really like to try a 5k or 10k sometime next year after marathon recovery, with the "let it go" approach as well.

SUPER inspiring! Honestly, reading the accounts here is what makes me want to be more brave than I normally am in a race, too! But I have also been really inspired the races where people missed their goals but had to really dig deep to push through and keep going. That mental toughness, the ability to keep pushing and grinding even when you KNOW that that day isn't your day... that takes guts too. So I think that's kind of my goal on Sunday, especially since I'm racing blind. I'm not shooting for a sub-1, I don't think I'm there yet in my training. So instead of a time goal, I'm going for a mental goal of really pushing myself beyond my comfort level and really learning about how to race with a true racing mindset (rather than a "hey i'm going to just do my LR with 40,000 other people today). Whatever happens with the time, happens. It'll be a piece of data to use in the future.

"SHUT UP BRAIN!!"

My mantra on Sunday. 100%.

I love all your responses! And for the record I super enjoy races as supported training runs too sprinkled in throughout my season (I'm about to essentially do one pretty soon.) So I think its ok to enjoy lots of different ways to experience races. It's probably why we all end up signing up for so many throughout the year. Excited to see what happens for you. And if you have no time goal, but you have a goal to just work super hard...that's a really good starting point!

I so agree with you about it being equally inspiring when someone shoots for the moon and misses it. That ability to analyze what happened and figure out how to do it better the next time is a great trait for a runner to have. Indeed it's an essential trait. We all fail at different things and it's part of the journey, right? It's how we improve.

But, I think you have in you to do more than you think. It's self-preservation sometimes to keep our expectations low, but it's also pretty freeing to just say, "I can do this!" and go for it.

Ok, @DopeyBadger if we run together again I'm gonna need you to carry the fritter and you run slightly faster than my pace and we'll just see what happens.

Ok. So I've decided that since in my dream, the apple fritter was CHASING me, that I'll be in front of you guys. So it'll be me, @DopeyBadger holding the apple fritter and chasing me down with it, and then you chasing said fritter.

#thepowerofpositivethinking, question mark?
#imgonnaneedabigheadstart
#probablygettinglapped

I went to the MCM expo today. It was my first expo, and I enjoyed it! Ended up with balega socks, a gait analysis that resulted in me buying a pair of Brooks to cycle in after this race, and a sport hook for our medals. They did have a RunDisney booth, so I got to see the medals up close. So cool! I did see the back of the wdw 2018 medal spinner - happy to post a pic if anyone is still wondering what that looks like (I know there was speculation but don’t know if it’s been posted elsewhere by now - assume it has).
Fun times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter