We're going back after 7 years!!! PTR - updated 12-26

We've no real trip news atm. We need to decide on where to buy Universal tickets but I need to look up different websites to price those. The big draw to Universal for me is the Harry Potter areas and since today was Harry Potter/JK Rowlings Birthday we went to this event at a kind of country house that was supposed to be in celebration of Harry Potter but it kind of didn't live up to the hype :rotfl2: They were meant to be doing all this wand making and sorting you into houses and characters roaming around but the characters were a bunch of teenagers, the wand making involved getting a stick in the forest and dipping it in a random bucket of paint/glitter and the house sorting was a paper quiz where you added up the totals of your answers yourself to get your house. They were supposed to have Harry Potter cupcakes for his birthday as well but when we got to the restaurant there was none left and it was super crowded BUT we still had a fun day despite the lack of Harry Potter stuff.
They had a craft village which was cute and a section where you could see different farm animals and then a Fairy trail which was super cute. Basically it's a woodland walk with "fairy doors" attached to trees, I spotted Tinkerbell near the start:

There was a cute little fairy castle as well:

There was also some wooden carvings of animals along the trail and we also found a Gruffalo but someone had pulled one of his horns off... or maybe the Gruffalo wants to be a unicorn :confused3:rotfl2:

Last edited:
I've been trying to book tickets to Universal but it's not letting me book tickets for our dates yet on their site. Does anyone know how far in advance they let you book tickets online for them?

I got way behind. Work keeps getting in the way.

I have memories of using the Lynx bus to get back to a hotel near Universal Studios from Disney on one of the dance trips and I don't know if we took the wrong bus or what happened but I know we were put off somewhere random on international drive as it was the last stop or something and nowhere near our hotel and we were lost and tired and I'm pretty sure I cried

I know just the bus stop where you ended up. We stayed at the hotel just by this bus stop many times. I can imagine that this was traumatic.

Yeah I want to move the dinner one though because atm I have them both the one day and an early dinner so they're to close together

That does sound a bit much.

I think there's enough choice in counter service to get by without it, it just would have made the character meals seem cheaper, but I've also copped that breakfast is cheaper than lunch or dinner in the character places so I reckon loads of breakfasts and then counter service/quick service the rest of the day

I have to admit that I usually prefer the breakfast to lunch and dinner when it comes to the character meals and normally I don't do breakfast.

Crystal Palace - we've eaten here before and Momma liked it because it had "proper food." I'm easy food wise mostly but Momma likes to get traditional Irish things like potatoes, vegetables a few times on the trip if not she says we didn't have proper food and ate junk food the entire trip :rolleyes:
Be Our Guest - I've this booked for lunch and dinner. We might do one but I'm hoping both because I need to meet the Beast. In 11 Disney trips I've never met him :sad:
Sci-fi - we've eaten here before but the thoughts of 50's Prime Time scares me a little if they call you out for not eating your greens and stuff.:eek:
Ohana - Again we've done this before for breakfast but I love Stitch. Only thing about this one is it's at 9.10am because this is the last full day and because of the stupid app I got an earlier dinner reservation than I wanted so thinking what we might need to get done that day 9.10 seems early but if we don't do that time I can't see us getting to the dinner reservation on time
Garden Grill - Breakfast, this one is new for us

That looks like a fantastic line up.

Been quiet this week. Monday night/Tuesday morning I had my first non cold/flu related asthma attack and ended up in the doctor on a nebulizer. That was a scary experience and the breathing still isn't settled but it's better than Monday

I am sorry that you have been poorly.

On a trip side I am not fit but I have had an interest in the run Disney races for a while now and discovered that there's a marathon weekend on while we're there so going to attempt to do the 5K. I'll probably walk most of it but sure it'll be fine!

I did the 5K at the first ever Run Disney event at Disneyland Paris and it was absolutely amazing. I did powerwalk a lot of it.

I also made a few more adr's to have until we finalise our plans. Since Discovery Cove changed their tickets though and it's now showing as the same price without a Seaworld ticket as it had been previously with a Seaworld ticket we're probably not going to go back to Discovery Cove

I think I am too late for this, but Attraction Tickets Direct are still selling tickets under the original deal.

After our strange experience attempting to book tickets the other day we cancelled those but tonight we booked Seaworld tickets and All day dining for Seaworld. They've an offer on their website where a day ticket is 99.99 dollars but with all day dining it's only 109.99 so only 10 dollars extra so we went for it and it worked out only 2 dollars more than the strange discount website we tried to buy from the other day so it's all good!

That sounds like a great deal.

Corinna

I know just the bus stop where you ended up. We stayed at the hotel just by this bus stop many times. I can imagine that this was traumatic.
I just remember sitting at the bus stop and crying. I think it was late after fireworks and we probably eventually got a taxi the rest of the way but I don't remember anything other than crying at the stop :sad2:

That does sound a bit much.
I'll probably change that. I'm thinking we'll do 4 character breakfasts and then BOG for lunch and dinner but on different days.

I have to admit that I usually prefer the breakfast to lunch and dinner when it comes to the character meals and normally I don't do breakfast.
Yeah I don't generally do breakfast either but I find at Disney if we have a good breakfast we generally don't feel like eating again until later in the evening and there's plenty of snacks for us to try in between anyway :goodvibes

I am sorry that you have been poorly.
That was a scary episode. I've never had it like that before where it wasn't associated with a cough or cold so I didn't really know what to be doing and then I wasn't sure if I was over-reacting or not either.

I did the 5K at the first ever Run Disney event at Disneyland Paris and it was absolutely amazing. I did powerwalk a lot of it.
I did manage to sign up for the 5K so we'll see how it goes and how fitness levels go over the next few months. This month I kind of lost motivation on the fitness stuff because there was less of my classes on with summer but after next week everything will be back again thankfully!

I think I am too late for this, but Attraction Tickets Direct are still selling tickets under the original deal.

I don't think we're going to Discovery cove now at all but we did book Seaworld tickets and I was looking at the extra tours they have. I was thinking of paying for one of them for Momma and myself. Only problem is I was eyeing up the one with penguin and sharks and just fishing for info I said to her would you prefer penguins or dolphins and she went oh I like penguins but I'd prefere Dolphins. I did the dolphin swim twice at Discovery cove and she never did because she's not a strong swimmer so was afraid to get in the water with them so I'm debating whether to do the Dolphin tour now so she
can "meet" the dolphins without having to get in the water. We'll see.

I have done this tour a few years ago and it was great.

Corinna
I keep going between the dolphins and the penguins. If I do both they're both cheap enough but then I look at the Killer whale one and that would be cool but expensive.. I feel like the other two could be better value for money

Sorry been MIA we've been away for a few days. I have been collecting bits for this trip though and they arrived over the past few days so will take pictures and post tomorrow.

So we were in London last week and some of these arrived while we were away:

The Pirates and Mermaid ones I had made by a lady on facebook. The Flower ones I bought in London for a whole £2.50.

Got the silver ones below for Momma. She claims she won't wear mouse ears but she also asked what she was going to do when I was wearing all these mouse ears so I got her these cheap and cheerful ones off ebay. Will give them to her for Christmas along with a t-shirt I had made for her:

I was going to do a trip report from London here as well. We went to alot of Harry Potter stuff which was brilliant but we did stop by the Disney store as well

I mentioned we were in London last week for a few days so thought I’d do a quick trip report for it in case anyone was interested about London. The night before we stayed in a hotel near the airport as we had an early morning flight but with the heat in the room I didn’t sleep much anyway so:

Day 1:

We got up at 3.30am and were out of the room on the bus to the airport by 5.15am. We dropped off the bags and then headed to McDonald’s for breakfast and it was surprisingly a lot better than the stuff we get in the other airport restaurants. We had pancakes and sausage with maple syrup:

After that we headed through security and towards the boarding gate. By the time we got to the boarding gate the plane was already there and we were nearly the last people to board :eek:

We boarded at 7.15 and the flight wasn’t due to take off until 7.35am but then we just sat and sat and sat some more and eventually an hour later the flight took off! It was a quick flight of just an hour to London and once we got there we grabbed our bags and headed for the trains. It took another hour on the train from the airport to St. Pancras but we did spot the Tower Bridge on the way:

Once we got to the train station we wandered the streets until we found the hotel. We were staying in a Premier Inn near the train station. I had checked in online the night before so our room was ready for us when we got there:

It was a good sized room and appeared clean so no complaints there. We had a quick freshen up and then headed to a nearby Irish pub for some food. The service here was non-existent. We had to ask 3 times for someone to come clean the dirty table we were at and when we decided what we wanted to order we had to get up and go to the bar to look for staff to order from. The food was nice enough we both had macaroni and cheese with grilled chicken but the service kind of let the place down:

Once we were fed we headed to the underground trains to get a tub to Oxford Circus… I do not like the underground. There was pure confusion when trying to get tickets. Tonnes of people and very little staff around to ask how or where to go. Pretty much a figure it out on your own kind of thing but we eventually managed it and went to wait for a train:

Got off at Oxford Circus and headed for Primark as they sell loads of cheap Disney and Harry Potter clothes and stuff. The Harry Potter section had owls and house flags hanging from the ceiling:

I got loads of Stitch stuff in particular a hoody, t-shirt, socks, slippers pyjamas that kind of thing then we got a taxi to the far end of Oxford Street to the Disney Store where Donald and Mickey were dressed as guards and were guarding the palace which I thought was cute:

They also had a golden Cinderella carriage you could get pictures in:

We browsed a few more shops before we decided to head back to the tube but omg it was like a dam had burst open and there was an endless sea of people that just kept flooding down the stairs in the tube station and it was hot and there was no air so we sat on the ground for a while hoping the crowd would die down and with no end in sight we got out of there and headed to a café for a snack. I got Annie and Godfrey the Gingerbread couple:

While we were shopping we had spotted people going around with bags from M&M’s world so I looked how far we were from it and we decided to get a taxi there while we were waiting for the tube to quieten down. Outside M&M’s world was a clock with little Swiss figures and on the hour they moved around the clock it was quite cute:

M&M’s world was huge. There was 4 floors of chocolatey goodness. I wandered collecting pressed pennies and looking at the figures and eventually just got a bag of M&M’s from the wall:

You could get your face put on M&M’s:

Across from M&M’s store was the Lego store so I popped in there for a look at the sculptures. They had Lego Big ben:

A tube, there was a guy there asking if you wanted him to take your photo sitting on the tube but I was to hot, tired and sticky for photos at that point so just snapped this:

Harry Potter:

And well it wouldn’t be a lego store if this guy wasn’t there:

After that we got the underground back to Kings Cross and went to Burger king for a kids meal before heading back to the hotel and falling into bed!

I think I'm addicted to Disney socks, I have loads and still I want more :rotfl2: but look at what Momma found in Dublin the other day:

Anyway day 2 in London, part 1:

Today was basically our whole reason for going to London, or well mine at least, because we were heading to the Warner Brothers Studios to see all the Harry Potter sets and props. If you ever plan on going to it and don’t want any spoilers look away now!

We got up and headed to Euston Station. Our hotel was supposed to be close by Euston Station but we weren’t sure where it was so we got a taxi and were so glad we did because it seemed to be quite a distance away! Beary Potter came with us :rotfl:

The train took about an hour to get to Watford which was the closest station to the Studios. We got some sausage rolls in the station for breakfast and when we went outside there was a Harry Potter bus there to take people to the Studios:

They showed a little video on the bus to explain what you were going to see and how to get your tickets sorted and soon enough we arrived at the Studios :banana:
There was wizard chess pieces outside and the walls around the entrance area were done like the pages of the daily prophet:

I got the tickets sorted and then we headed inside. They did a bag and body check and then you headed down a long corridor to the main waiting area. There was little Harry Potter quotes along the walls of the corridor as you went along:

Finally we reached the main waiting area. We collected a digital guide that we had paid for in advance and then jumped in the queue to start the tour. The queue was probably the longest wait of the day. Our tickets were for 11.30 and we got in the queue at 11.30 and didn’t actually get into the tour until about 12.15. They had a giant Tri-wizard cup in the queue line:

Eventually we got into one room where they showed a little movie about how the Harry Potter movies came about, then we went into a cinema room where they showed more about the movies and then finally it was time to go through the doors of Hogwarts. They asked at this point if it had been anyone’s birthday or wedding anniversary or anything like that and they got one little girl to open the doors as it had been her birthday the week before:

Once you went through the doors you were in the great hall:

We wandered around there for a few minutes and then they had a goblet of fire at the top of the great hall and we watched it select the next tri-wizard tournament contestant:

Once that was over you were pretty much left to your own devices to wander the sets and props yourself and omg there was so much to see it was all amazing.
Yule Ball decoration. This was really pretty up close:

Portraits and stair case:

The digital guide we got had extra facts about things as you went around and it explained what you were looking at. One of the facts on it was that some of the portraits were actually of crew members dressed up which I thought was cool. Anyway this was the taps from the prefect’s bathroom and the taps were running like as if it was water coming out of them and it looked really cool:

As we were going around I noticed the kids had been given passports and I over heard one saying one of the tasks was to look for hidden snitches. I looked up and spotted one although the photo isn’t the best but there you go:

Next was the Gryffindor common room. While I was looking at this and listening to the digital guide some mother and her two kids came along beside me and the mother was trying to shove her kids in and told them to turn around for a picture. The older boy really cheekily went wait, we don’t want her in the picture looking at me. The mother said nothing. If that was my child I’d have killed him for talking like that about someone but anyways!

This clock was huge and so cool looking:

Dumbledore’s office:

Potions classroom, the cauldrons were stirring themselves here:

They had a board about the animal actors in the movies. Maybe I was just being dumb but for some reason I didn’t realise that they used actually real animals for some characters, I just never thought about it I guess :confused3:

They had a few photo ops along the way. We didn’t stop for any or to check on prices but in this area you could get a video done like as if you were flying on a broom, then they had the Quidditch costumes set up, up above the area:

The whopping willow was actually whopping the car here:

Is it better to get one day park hopper for universal and then buy a second day on the gate if we need it or get a two day park hopper?

We would want to do Harry Potter areas, Seuss area, ET ride, parades, character meets and both night time shows. I’m not sure if we’d get around all that in one day

The Harry Potter set visit looks so cool! I would definitely want to do it if I were visiting London!
It was awesome. I have loads more photos coming up of it, I took over 600 photos that day alone in London :rotfl2:but I have wanted to go to it for aaaaaggggggggggeeeeeeesssssss and it was so worth it!

Trip stuff, trip stuff, trip stuff!

We're like a week out from a double digit dance :banana: I've been concerned about the Universal parks as we wanted to do parades, character meets, both harry potter areas, small rides like ET, suess area and both night-times shows and we were going to attempt that in one day :confused3 I asked on a facebook group though and the general conclusion seems to be that you would need two days to do it all comfortably so I think we're going for two days in Universal now which means we have to lose part of a Disney day so new plan is:

Day 1: Fly

Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Day 3: Epcot front part leave by lunch time and head to closest Outlets
Day 4: Seaworld
Day 5: Outlets/rest day
Day 6: Universal
Day 7: IOA
Day 8: Move to Disney - then Epcot
Day 9: Magic Kingdom
Day 10: Hollywood Studios
Day 11: Animal Kingdom
Day 12: Finish whatever parks we need
Day 13: Disney Springs and Magic Kingdom:confused3
Day 14: Fly home :sad:

I'm also planning on booking a tour or two for Seaworld as we've never done tours there. I'm torn between doing two that are 20 each, one that is 45 or one that is 85 but I'm kind of leaning towards the two for 20 each as it seems like better value for money... I'm booking these as a surprise for Momma

While I'm here I figured I'd post the next bit of our London trip so
Day 2 in London, part 2:

They seem to change the theme every so often here and while we were there was more Tri-wizard tournament props around. Apparently some time in September they were going to change to a celebration of the dark arts, but this was one of the Tri-wizard items it’s Mad-eye Moody’s chest:

At the Burrow there was a lot of cool little tricks like if you waved your hand over a certain area the needles would start knitting by themselves:

The Hand of glory from Borgin and Burkes. Spoiler alert: On last day we did another Harry Potter tour and we learnt how these are made and it ain’t a pretty story!

There was a few more displays in this area, I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who might eventually go there by posting pictures of every display but Umbridge’s room needs a special mention because photos and indeed the films do not do justice to just how pink that room is. Don’t get me wrong, pink is one of my favourite colours but that room was like eye-hurting pink:

After this area you went in to the Forbidden Forest where you could see if Buckbeak would bow to you and he did bow to me :banana::

There was also those giant spiders here from the chamber of secrets and they said that Aragog was over two tonne weight… If there was a two tonne spider in my house I would probably burn the house down and move country just to be on the safe side! :scared1: Anyway safely away from the spiders we found a small gift shop with magical creatures in it, we spotted a hippogriff key-ring we wanted but decided to wait until the big shop at the exit to buy anything so around the corner we went and we came out on Platform 9 ¾’s where Beary Potter headed off to get the Hogwarts Express:

You could go on the train and they had a few compartments done up with the props that Harry had on the train in each film:

There was a display case at the end of the platform with all sorts of smaller props like school books, wizard money, Weasley products, daily prophet newspapers:

Then we arrived at the restaurant. Momma had a sandwich and some fruit and I got her a butterbeer ice-cream cone (it was a bribe to get her to carry the digital guide we got at the start of the tour :rotfl2:)

I got a kids cheeseburger meal which came with fries and there was actually loads of food in it for £6. I wondered what size the adults meals were if that was how big the kids ones were. They even had lettuce and onion on the burger which usually kids meals at these places come with nothing on the burger so I was surprised by it:

I also got butterbeer in a souvenir cup and omg it was disgusting. I’ve had the Frozen butterbeer in Florida and that is seriously yummy, this stuff was nothing like it and I ended up going to the bathroom to dump it and clean the cup out:

The butterbeer ice-cream was alot nicer. We also got cupcakes here… If you saw my post where we visited a House in Ireland called Wells House for their Harry Potter day. They had advertised they had Harry Potter themed cupcakes so naturally we headed to the restaurant there to get them and were told there was none so when we saw them here we had to have one each:

Once we were fed we headed outside where they had the Knight Bus, more wizard Chess pieces, Godrics Hollow and more:

You could also walk through number 4 privet drive and have a peek in the sitting room:

Day 2 in London, part 3:

So when we were done exploring outside we headed into the next studio which showed some of the special effects and how they created some of the creatures and things like that:

We then wandered in to Diagon alley. I’m looking forward to seeing the Diagon Alley in Universal Studios now, that’s new since we were there last:

The next room showed design work by the various artists involved in the film and models of some of the buildings:

One of the final things before you arrived back in the shop was a fabulous model of Hogwarts. It was soooo pretty and really big. The lights kept going darker every so often to give a night time effect as well, we spent ages here just taking in every inch of the model:

I loved the little Beauxbatons Carraige it was such a small detail you’d almost miss it:

Finally you wandered through Ollivanders shop:

Where they had the real tri-wizard cup:

Then you were back in the main shop where they had more displays and props:

I thought the crystal goblet was cool but a bit pricey:

You could buy your own Wizard Chess set as well but I don’t think the pieces came to life :confused3:rotfl2::

Along the way in one of the shops we had spotted a Hippogriff Key-ring we didn’t get it as we intended to get it in the big shop but we were disappointed to find they didn’t have any but we asked some of the staff and one very nice guy ran back to the other shop to get us two of them. I also got a purple pygmy puff, I got a pink one the last time we were in Florida but this one made cute noises so I needed it. The official guide we got with one of our tickets it was an optional add on but also for sale in the shop. If I hadn’t got the add on I don’t think I would have even picked it up in the shop but it’s actually really cool and has more fun facts in it so glad we got it. This was everything I got from the shop:

When we were finished in the shop it was around about 5.30 ish and after the nightmare crowds in the tube station we decided we didn’t even want to attempt to get a train back to Euston yet so we popped in to a café at the entrance and had a drink and buns. Momma was a bit disappointed because she got a lemon meringue donut, which she thought was nice but when she sat down she spotted other people have what looked like really good dinners and for some reason she hadn’t spotted the fact they had anything other than donuts and cupcakes. :confused3 This was what her donut looked like though:

I had one of the blue cupcakes:

They also had a really cool looking rainbow cake among other treats:

The kids meals came in a Knight bus box which I thought was cute:

On the way out then we spotted a Fantastic Beast costume display and they were showing the trailer for the new Crimes of Grindelwald movie which looks awesome:

The tour says it takes approx 3 hours to do we spent over 6 hours there in total but it was a fabulous day. I have wanted to see it for years now and it was soooooo worth the wait. We got a train back to Euston no problem and it wasn’t to crowded. Outside Euston station there were a few restaurants. I wanted to go to Nandos but Momma thought it was to loud so we headed back to the hotel. We decided to walk as the hotel website said that the station was within walking distance. We weren’t really sure of the direction so I just followed signs pointing to Kings Cross as I knew that was past our hotel and hoped for the best. We went down a few dodgy looking streets and a few times I had to use maps I spotted on the street poles to point us in the right direction but eventually I found the hotel… I would not have said it was in easy walking distance it took about 30 minutes or more to find it. We went to burger king nearby the hotel for some food and then headed to bed

:cheer2::banana::banana::cheer2:

Today I'm dancing because it's
DOUBLE DIGIT DANCE DAY

:jumping1::cool1:party::dance3::Pinkbounc:bounce::jumping3::hyper::woohoo:

Also I read during the week that the pirate tutorial show will be ending today so is there anywhere else to meet Jack Sparrow? I got my pirate ears made especially to go to the show to see him
:(

London Day 3, part 1:

So continuing with our London trip. This morning we got up and headed to Kings Cross Station to find the Harry Potter shop. Outside Kings Cross was a food market and we picked up some Cannoli for breakfast. Nice and healthy :rotfl:but they were super yummy especially the caramel one:

They had all sorts of other pastries as well and other stalls had different foods from around the world:

It took a few minutes to find the Harry Potter shop in Kings Cross because it’s not actually at Platforms 9 or 10 it’s near platforms 4 and 5 but we found it and headed inside for a look. The shop was not the biggest and kind of crowded. They had some cool Harry Potter merchandise but some of it was a bit expensive like they had a Niffler who was £35:

But spoiler alert we found a similar Niffler in a book shop the next day for £22 but it was still cool to visit and we picked up a few small bits. After that we headed across the road and found our hop on hop off tour bus that we’d booked. We didn’t really have much of a plan of action with this so we just stayed on it as it went about its loop and I took many photos. See the marks on the side of the church, apparently that was bullet holes from world war times:

There’s the Tower Bridge:

We drove across that circled round the block and went back across it, I tried to get fancy with the pictures:

This thing was called the shard, it’s meant to look like a piece of broken glass:

The next stop was at the London Eye. It was a cold morning and we had left the jumpers in the hotel because it was meant to be 27 degrees so we hopped off here to see if we could find something warm to wear and also because they mentioned there was an aquarium nearby. We didn’t have much luck finding a jumper to wear so we strolled over to the London Eye instead to take some pictures:

We walked down along the waterfront and spotted Big Ben and Westminster under piles of scaffolding on the far side of the river:

As we wandered down the waterfront we decided to go to the Aquarium to fill some time and we were pleasantly surprised. When you first go in everyone is kind of painfully slowed walked through a queue, it turned out that was for a photo but when we discovered this half the line by-passed the photo and the crowd moved quicker then. First you cross glass where you can see the fish underneath, this felt really weird because it felt like you needed to take a step down but there was no step but it was cool to look at:

After this the rooms widened out so there was less of a queue to get through things and more fun exploring everywhere. I spotted Dory:

They had rooms with different themes and they did have a Nemo and his friends area:

Seahorse:

They had a Rainforest area:

There was spiders here and the tanks were done like those bubbles you can put your head in and take a picture where it looks like your head is in the tanks... I was not taking any chances with those eugh :scared1: There were turtles and alligators here as well which were better than the spiders:

Next was an Arctic section with Penguins and this one Penguin was totally posing for everyone’s cameras:

Lastly there was a Jellyfish section. This was weird it didn’t look like tanks it looks computer animated but there was all sorts of jellyfish:

There was loads more to see in between each section as well and it was a lot bigger than we thought. Everytime we thought it was finished we’d turn the corner to find something else so we thought it was great and well worth the visit and as an added bonus when we came back out the sun had come out so we didn’t need to get jumpers after all:

So next we hopped on the bus again and headed to Buckingham palace:

While we were there we got to see the changing of the guard as well:

After we took a few pictures we hopped on the bus again taking pictures along the way. Downing street was down that street:

Trafalgar square… where we learnt the next day they held the premiere for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!