We're half way there - JUNE WISH month of motivation

I walk and I play pickleball. I love them both. I am getting much better at pickleball but am still the weak link on whatever team has me! I really want to swim and absolutely loved it and was getting so much stronger, but them my shoulder tweaked out and that's been that. I really shouldn't play pickleball because I'm sure it isn't helping, but I like being active and it's so much fun.

Wahoo!!! Wahoo!!! Wahoo!!! I am on summer break!!!! Five glorious weeks of doing whatever I want--like the trip to Seattle for a baseball game. Cannot wait!

Ha! I was waiting to post my woohoo until after the soccer game.... Stupid idea!!! :rotfl2:

I haven't been following the soccer - but I take it that you lost your woohoo - so Germany must have lost their game - I did hear that the Aussies were out the other day.

Good Morning

It's Topic Thursday ..... let's focus on finishing the month
STRONG!!!

cardio-or-resistance.jpg

On Tuesday we discussed cardio ... now lets focus on strength, resistance and weight bearing exercise ... which is good for bone density, burning fat, increasing metabolism and toning up as we lose fat.

Do you include this type of training in your week and how do you do it e.g. weights, resistance bands, body weight, ropes etc. ?

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-28_20-48-55.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-28_20-48-55.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Off topic but after chatting with a friend this week I watched a few shows on Netflix about food/eating

Forks over Knives
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 1 & 2
Food Choices

Some interesting viewing ....Not entirely sure where I sit with it all as yet in relation to all I have watched. Don't think I can see myself going meat free completely but I am contemplating trying some new recipes and increasing my vegetable/fruit intake - which needs to happen anyway - but some of the recipes look yummy - so hopefully win/win.

Has anyone else seen any of these shows and what did you think of them?

My woohoo from yesterday is baseball for DS got canceled due to rain. I hate that they couldn't play but we didn't have to rush dinner to get to a game.

For the question today. I do not do any strength training but I know I need to.

I haven't been following the soccer - but I take it that you lost your woohoo - so Germany must have lost their game - I did hear that the Aussies were out the other day.

Yes, Germany is out as well. The first time in 80 years that Germany did not move on to the Round of 16... And they are the current World Champion. Quite emberassing. Not a huge soccer fan myself, but this is kind of a national tragedy. I guess similar to Australia losing at the Ashes (isn't that some kind of famous cricket competition???)

Do you include this type of training in your week and how do you do it e.g. weights, resistance bands, body weight, ropes etc. ?

No, but really should. I did a little for a while, but find it even more difficult to motivate myself for it.

@4Mickeys My sister got me a vegetarian cookbook from Moosewood once and now I have several. They are a vegetarian restaurant, I think in Upstate New York, and their recipes are all really yummy! I especially like "Moosewood cooks at Home" which has lots of recipes that are easy to make for home cooking. The recipes sometimes sound a bit daunting because there is so much chopping involved, but it is much easier than it sounds!

Jeez! How is it Thursday already!?

Let's see -- belated woohoo: the stars aligned last night and I was able to squeeze in a full moon singing bowl meditation that I wasn't planning on. It was sooo lovely and the teacher poked a nerve that probably needed to be poked-- which led to a little self examination. So all in all, a good evening.

On Tuesday we discussed cardio ... now lets focus on strength, resistance and weight bearing exercise ... which is good for bone density, burning fat, increasing metabolism and toning up as we lose fat.

I honestly think actually doing this stuff is what's making such a difference to me. I used to buy into the whole mentality that I would bulk up and look gross or that women weren't supposed to weight train and that I was so weak it would take so long to see a difference and it didn't matter... along with an assortment of other nonsense. But a trainer eventually told me that muscle is what burns fat, so if I gain more muscle, I would loose weight. And yes, I started with 5lb weights... and even now when I use 15, 20, or 25 I am still far from being the strongest girl there, but man it feels good to be stronger than before... and to be able to carry all the groceries and not need DH's help. Or to carry a rug up to my 4th floor condo.

As for what the trainer told me, for me at least, I think it's true. I do not go hard on the cardio side of things. I power walk and don't even get my heart rate up that high. But I am still loosing weight. Not that I can tell you what I am doing... I just follow the teacher. But it works for me so is a very important part of my routine.

Off topic but after chatting with a friend this week I watched a few shows on Netflix about food/eating

Forks over Knives
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 1 & 2
Food Choices

Some interesting viewing ....Not entirely sure where I sit with it all as yet in relation to all I have watched. Don't think I can see myself going meat free completely but I am contemplating trying some new recipes and increasing my vegetable/fruit intake - which needs to happen anyway - but some of the recipes look yummy - so hopefully win/win.

Has anyone else seen any of these shows and what did you think of them?

Yes! The first two at least. I do think that all documentaries come from some sort of bias. But after watching Forks Over Knives and reading a lot more up on veganism, I did give that lifestyle a go for a while. I think I lasted somewhere around 8 months. I didn't so much miss the meat, but I did miss cheese. However, I lost a lot of weight during that time and felt great. I didn't that gross bloat anymore either. And I realized sooo much dairy was doing me more harm than good. Plus it was a lot of fun to integrate new foods and more plant based things into my life. Some of the habits carried over which helps now I think. And hey, more fruits and veggies can't be a bad idea! Haha!

As for me in general.... Saturday is my lifetime weigh in with WW. I may actually be under my goal weight range to qualify o_O In trying to follow doctors orders and cut the sodium (and ultimately loose more weight next month), I apparently found the magic elixir to drop quite a few lbs this week.... I mean definitely not a bad thing, but I thought it would take longer and that I could at least make lifetime first and then go on to loose the little more needed next month. Oh well. I am going to have a nice yet healthy meal before my weigh in and hope for the best. And however the cookie crumbles is fine with me, since ultimately this journey is for what I need for my health and not a number at WW.

Happy Thursday all!

I really need to make an effort to do more weight training. I have the stuff, I just don't have the time. I need to find the time.

I'm going to be down a couple of pounds by the end of the month, but I really think that I should have done better. The middle of the month gave me some trouble, but I think that I'm back on track.

Things-to-do-this-Weekend-3-Cover-870x480.jpg

AAAHHHH The Weekend :-)

and also the end of the month!!!

It has gone by so fast, we have had some great chatter this month guys and you have all been working really hard on achieving your goals ... but remember if you didn't quite get there this month that is OK every step and thoughtful moment spent on healthy living is going to help in the long run.

Share with us your success and thoughts about the month .... what worked, what was hard, has it helped you towards next months goal?

Thank you all for participating in June :D

Our time away from home was wonderful. :drive:On TV we watched DS1's alma mater become baseball college national champs. Very exciting. We drove to Seattle and watched the Mariners play and that game was super. We had really good seats and the game was fantastic. We did a few touristy things and things we just like to do. It's always fun to play in Seattle. I kept track of all my food and DH was shocked I did. It was not awful, but it was not good--but oh so delicious!!

I've slacked off (again!) with lifting weights. When the kids were little I took a weight lifting class at the gym. For years! Then I started working again and that was the end of that. For a year or so I was hitting the weight room right after yoga but then work got so busy (and those stupid parents didn't pick their kids up on time!) that I was never managing to get to yoga. I've got everything I need to do it at home, but just need to get in the habit again. I am doing lunges every night before bed. Better than nothing!

Thank you for hosting @4Mickeys! :worship:

Share with us your success and thoughts about the month .... what worked, what was hard, has it helped you towards next months goal?

Okay - I went really bad with my official goal which was 5000 steps at least 4 days per week - looking back at my phone health data - I only managed to walk at or over 5000 steps per day for only 3 days out of 30 :scared1:o_O

I can make excuses ... but I won't - I know this is a problem for me - and I know it is not good for my health - for the next 2 weeks on break I will make an effort to walk more.

This month seems like a very treading water month for me - I am slightly up weight wise compared with the end of last month - but not too badly. Eating has been very up and down.
Our time away from home was wonderful. :drive:On TV we watched DS1's alma mater become baseball college national champs. Very exciting. We drove to Seattle and watched the Mariners play and that game was super. We had really good seats and the game was fantastic. We did a few touristy things and things we just like to do. It's always fun to play in Seattle. I kept track of all my food and DH was shocked I did. It was not awful, but it was not good--but oh so delicious!!

That sounds like a fun weekend - good for you for tracking while away :-)

I've slacked off (again!) with lifting weights. When the kids were little I took a weight lifting class at the gym. For years! Then I started working again and that was the end of that. For a year or so I was hitting the weight room right after yoga but then work got so busy (and those stupid parents didn't pick their kids up on time!) that I was never managing to get to yoga. I've got everything I need to do it at home, but just need to get in the habit again. I am doing lunges every night before bed. Better than nothing![/QUOT

yes it is better than nothing - we were discussing having trouble fitting in activity at work this week and a colleague said she heard that if you can do just 1 minute of walking on the spot (faster not slow) as many times as you can - if can do that 20 times across the day you have 20 minutes of walking/steps.

Okay .... there seems to be no volunteers to host July - I can't commit to it - DD is having her oral surgery next week - which will throw things into stress and caring for her around here. If no one can do it, we could just keep the June thread going and people can just post comments/feelings as they desire but I won't be posting QOTD's or overseeing it.... or if everyone is focused on having a break for the summer .... we could come back in August if someone wants to do August instead.

Okay .... there seems to be no volunteers to host July - I can't commit to it - DD is having her oral surgery next week - which will throw things into stress and caring for her around here. If no one can do it, we could just keep the June thread going and people can just post comments/feelings as they desire but I won't be posting QOTD's or overseeing it.... or if everyone is focused on having a break for the summer .... we could come back in August if someone wants to do August instead.

Thank you so much for hosting June!!

Hopefully we still find a volunteer for July? I can host August,but am on vacation in July, so hosting is difficult.

I just got some more motivation for healthiness - I booked us on a mini sea-break cruise - it does not go anywhere but out into the ocean and back for 3 nights at the start of December - to celebrate DS17s 18th birthday at the end of November and his year 12 Graduation around the same time. As it will be our summer getting into swimmers on a boat full of people is certainly motivation! We haven't cruised on a big ship before - I did a cruise around some of the Fiji islands when I was 19 (so long ago now lol) but is was a much smaller boat than a cruise ship. The kids have been on a couple of boats but I'm talking small - so should be fun - hopefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!