We're home and planning the next one!!

T-Rex isn't a must do for us anymore either. I wish that we had have made it there on our first night, that way we would have known that it wasn't as amazing as we had remembered and had time to change DH's birthday dinner to a different restaurant.

Sometimes you shouldn't try to recreate things, should you? :confused3

Time over I would have done the Hoop De Doo Revue for his birthday - we'll just have to go back and do it next time! :goodvibes

Was very happy to hear your description of the Port Orleans Riverside Royal Rooms. We are heading to WDW in Nov and have booked a pool view Royal Room! Since I don't imagine we will be doing much but sleeping i'm happy enough if it's a dark room :) :) Thanks for the detailed report

You will love everything about POR, and the best thing that we did was book a pool view - not that I spent a lot of time at the window looking out at the pool, it was the fact that it was so close that made the difference. Oh what I would do to be back in lovely Oak Manor right now......boo hoo!!!

CRACKER BARREL: My husband's best mate is originally from Chicago, and he always talks about how we need a Cracker Barrel in Sydney - now I know why!!!

It was our last day in WDW, the dreaded envelope had been hung on our door handle the afternoon before - it has the details of when the Magical Express will pick you up - so this was it, it was as depressing as can be.

To make ourselves feel better, we jumped into the giant car and headed to Cracker Barrel - OMG, I'm kind of glad that there isn't one of these in Sydney - I would never leave there!!

There is a giant porch that has lots of rocking chairs on it - this answered my question about where all of the people who live in Celebration bought the rocking chairs for their front porches - they had all shapes and sizes.

Inside the door there is a big shop that sells every patriotic item that you can imagine - if they can stick an American flag or an eagle on it - they sell it!!

We headed towards the restaurant end of the shop and were greeted by the most lovely staff, then we sat at a great table in the middle of the room - lots of space (we would need it for all of our food), and even some little wooden brain teaser games to keep you occupied while you wait for your food.

We ate bacon, eggs, French toast, pancakes - everything that you can imagine except grits.....my DH had them in Chicago with his friend about 14 years ago and never plans to eat them again - glue on a plate, no thanks!!!

There seemed to be a lot of people coming from church, so everybody was dressed nicely and the kids were all super cute - we were all in shorts, but it didn't matter - everything about Cracker Barrel is homey and warm and you just want to stay forever.

We eventually left and went for a drive - I have no idea where we went, but there were lots of huge estates of houses and condos - I'm sure that some of the places that you can rent must have been there. They were all a pretty quick drive to WDW, as well as close to lots of restaurants and shops like Walgreens and Publix. It felt very hot there, these are pretty new estates so there aren't a lot of established trees, so my advice would be to make sure that you have a pool - and who doesn't want a pool???

Eventually we headed back to POR where DH dropped us off and drove back to Alamo to return our gorgeous Infinity. It was really sad saying goodbye to that car - we had loved having it. We were able to see so much more than on our last trip and been able to check out Orlando, plus all of the music from the radio had kind of become a soundtrack to our holiday. I have now made a playlist of those songs - they are great for bringing back memories. Listening to our 8 year old daughter sing "we're up all night to get lucky" in the backseat was an interesting moment!!

So, Cracker Barrel - if you have a car and are looking for a delicious and cheap breakfast - it's a must do!! Saying goodbye to your car and getting ready to leave WDW - no no no!!!!

Busy busy, sitting at home today after being sick, and just loved catching up on your trip report :thumbsup2
Thanks for taking the time to write it. One it is full of information and 2 just downright entertaining. Thank you!

Thanks Gogo65, I'm glad that my TR took your mind off being sick for a little while.....although, depending on what kind of sick you were, all of the food reviews might not have been so helpful!! ;)

Hope you're on the mend, now I'm off to write the most depressing installment - leaving WDW - nooooooooooo!! :eek:

LEAVING WDW - WHERE DID 13 NIGHTS GO?: Car dropped off, we decided to hang in the River Roost bar until it was time to catch the Magical Express to the airport. The kids hung in the arcade for a while, we got ice creams from the Riverside Mill, I wrote an email home, and I just had a wander and had some 'last looks'. Coming back here to POR had been very special to me, back in 1997 I had come here with my (1st!!) husband, parents, brother and grand parents. We spent 8 nights here and saw the Space Shuttle Columbia launch - it was an amazing time with my family. My gorgeous grandad passed away in 2010, so to come back here and remember how much fun we'd had was emotional in every way - and now to be leaving again - yikes, I could have used a cocktail!!!

Anyway, the time came to grab our bags and head out to the bus stop - ugh - for 13 days I had seen people waiting with their bags for the ME, and I had felt a mixture of sympathy and superiority as I walked by - you poor things, but mwah hah hah, I get to stay and you don't!!!

So, I got my comeuppance and got onto the bus, the driver was telling lots of jokes to make everybody feel better, what a mad job - from the airport to WDW with people beyond excited, then from WDW to the airport with a bus load of quiet, sad people.

As we arrived at the airport there were clouds swirling above that we're blacker than ANY that I have ever seen, it was a bit nerve wracking - all I needed was a tornado!! Goodbye to Mickey and off to check in, suddenly the rain started and maybe it wasn't so bad to be leaving Orlando!! We ate at the Burger King (don't worry - I won't be doing a review) then headed to our flight. Due to the storm, the plane had been late arriving, but they turned it around and we were all on board quickly........but........the race to get us all on and seated had been for nothing as the lightning was too mental for us to leave.

We waited and waited for 90 minutes and then finally took off. By this time DD was asleep, so I had grabbed the window seat. Up we flew and I watched sadly out of the window, it was all over, but in an amazing last wink from WDW, I spotted Downtown Disney, followed the river along to Port Orleans Riverside and then spotted the Illuminations fireworks swirling in the middle of the lake at Epcot!!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes, perfect timing - now that was worth being stuck on ground for 90 minutes - definitely!!! Walt Disney World - its a MUST DO!!!!

What a fantastic trip report. Your enthusiasm and excitement comes across in your writing. You have me now contemplating WDW instead of DL.

WDW ROUND UP: Just a few last things about WDW...

- Get to the parks early, but plan for some sleep ins too.
- Eating dinner at the resort is great, you don't need an ADR for every night.
- Re-fillable mugs are fantastic.
- Pool time is essential - and the kids tend to want to swim more than anything else!
- Put your hair in a ponytail - it's way too hot to wear it down.
- Pack half of what you think you'll need - even doing the washing at WDW is fun!!
- Hats, sunnies, sunscreen - you're mad if you leave your room without them.
- Take a pop up clothes hamper - it keeps the room much neater.
- Bradley Cooper is gorgeous!
- Fast passes are great - and essential unless you want to spend 2 hours in line for Soarin'.
- All restaurants will make nuggets and chips for young kids who won't eat the completely delicious food on the menu!
- Teenagers need Facebook - get their phones sorted before you leave and let them have fun (as long as they're not at it during Wishes)!
- Grown ups sometimes need a cocktail - all WDW bars let the kids in, most kids can handle 1/2 an hour sipping a coke while you enjoy your well deserved Magical Star cocktail.
- Shorts and a pretty top or a summer dress are all you need for almost anywhere in WDW - you will always see people who are dressed more 'interestingly' than you.....short shorts and a vinyl crop top - my eyes are still stinging from seeing that outfit!!
- Relax, if you don't get to see Illuminations, it's OK - being together and enjoying watching your kids/family with smiles on their faces is what you'll remember - and there are YouTube ride throughs for anything that you miss!!
- It's the best time you'll ever have. :goodvibes

Great WDW Round Up. Thanks for sharing your experiences at the World. :thumbsup2

Are we heading home on this TR yet?

THE $20 SANDWICH: We arrived in Las Vegas, grabbed our bags and were in a cab on the way to the Venetian Hotel all within about 20 minutes - these are the advantages of arriving at 11.30pm!!! Our flight from Orlando had seemed pretty quick, and we had walked out of the terminal into 91 degree heat. We walked into the beautiful Venetian lobby and there it was in front of me - the check in counter.

This is where I get to explain the $20 sandwich....I came across a website called the $20 sandwich which explained how to get free upgrades at Las Vegas hotels. You sandwich a $20 between your credit card and your ID/licence/passport, and ask the person at check in if there are an 'complimentary upgrades'. The website has lots of testimonies from people who had done this at hotels all over Vegas and their varying success stories.

The Venetian seemed to have a pretty good record of giving upgrades, and since we were arriving so late on a Sunday night and staying Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, I figured that we could do it. We booked and paid online for the cheapest room that they had with 2 queen beds and hoped for the best.

I wanted DH to do it - he said no, this was my idea and it was time to step up!! I ended up putting two $20 notes on the counter with my hand resting on them, and OMG - off we went. The lady pulled up our reservation and I gulped and asked about any complimentary upgrades, it was like she couldn't stop....$40 bucks was burning a hole in that counter and she wanted it!!

We got.....the resort fee waived - free wifi, newspaper and gym (gym, Hahahahaha!!), room upgrade to the fabulous Venezia Tower which gave us a much larger and nicer room, strip view (we had booked the gorgeous car park view!), high floor, drinks vouchers, coffee vouchers - I almost had to ask her to stop!!

We thanked her and I passed the $40 to her - she seemed so grateful and I was so glad that I had given her $40 instead of $20 - it was a compete win-win situation. We went up to our gorgeous room still amazed at how easy it had been - I was very proud of my negotiating skills, putting down $40 discreetly yet obviously is very difficult - but now I'm a bribery pro, I need to go back to Vegas to try it again!! The $20 sandwich - try it.....if you dare - they can only say no!

I'm almost done PIO - unless you want what happened in Vegas to stay in Vegas?! ;)

.....AND....I can't finish without telling you about the 50 foot tall Jon Bon Jovi!! :worship::worship::worship:

LAS VEGAS: This is the second time that we have been to Las Vegas with kids, and we all loved it. Although, having a 15 year old son as well as the world's most responsible 8 year old daughter meant that we could leave them in the room upstairs while we had a grown ups dinner downstairs. We didn't leave the Venetian and DS and DH texted constantly - so I felt OK about it and they loved their time alone. When we arrived back to the room, they were both in bed, one on his phone and the other on her ipad, watching the basketball on TV where Justin Bieber was in the crowd - talk about 2 happy kids (thank you technology)!!

We spent a morning at the Premium Outlets South, this is our preferred Premium Outlets because it's an 'inside' shopping centre, all of the shops open up from a central air conditioned mall area - which is great considering it was 111 (44 degrees!!!) outside. We bought a new suitcase and shoved all of our shopping into it. A great place with every shop that we wanted, like - Nike, Gap, Hurley, Jockey, Nike, Vans, Coach and Nike!! There is also an IHOP in the car park outside - we spotted it from the main road and DH read all of our minds when he told the cabbie to "just drop us at the IHOP please"!!!

We spent lots of time checking out the other hotels on the strip, kids are able to go just about everywhere, but you have to walk fast past a few different things depending on the ages of your children! For instance, when heading to the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace with a 15 year old boy, pick up the pace when you go past the Pussycat Dolls blackjack table - they are swinging around the poles above the tables like crazy - dressed, but barely!!

We didn't come across any of the people on the side of the road that hand out the cards for the strip clubs. I had heard lots of stories about them, and having such a tall son, I expected him to be offered these cards....but we didn't have to deal with it at all - maybe it was the heat, but they were nowhere to be found.

We ate at restaurants in the Venetian Hotel for dinner and they were fabulous. Australian me with my English husband eating Mexican food in an Italian themed hotel in America - loved it!! Also, the $5 margaritas were delicious!! The Venetian has a food court as well, so the kids were very happy to eat Chicken Now - there is a Chicken Now at the Premium Outlets and DS got a sample, DD was very peeved that she didn't get some "I want some Chicken Now, Jack's breath smells delicious"!! So, when we spotted the Chicken Now at the Venetian, dinner for the kids was done. We had a taste and it was AMAZING - it's no wonder people want their Chicken NOW!!

We went down to Fremont Street, which is the old part of Las Vegas, it's very different to the Strip up in the newer section! The draw card down here is better odds at the tables, cheaper restaurants and hotels (blah, blah, blah) and the only reason that we went - the giant roof/canopy that spans the entire length of the street. Every hour there is a "show" beamed onto the roof that stars a different band - there are rockets zooming from one end to the other, fireworks, dice, roulette wheels spinning - all on the roof along with the band. We arrived in time to see Heart at 8pm, my family thought that it was OK, but I really love me some Barracuda, so I loved it!! DS decided to go on the zip line - 67 feet above the ground, it goes from one end of Fremont Street to just past halfway along - he loved it, and no, his long legs didn't drag on the ground!!

There are some pretty weird people down in Fremont Street, there was a bridal party...gowns, tuxes, flowers, beers!! Girls in showgirl outfits dancing on bars...yawn, and people dressed as gladiators, showgirls, Stevie Wonder, Gene Simmons etc. that you can take your picture with for a tip. We did not do this!! The Gene Simmons was 80 in the shade, in full lycra with cut outs on the legs, platform shoes, top knot hair and tongue wagging away. He looked the part - even his motorised wheelchair had flames painted on it....seriously!!!!!!!

We made it to 9pm and the Bon Jovi show.....there was Jon right above me, further down the roof, further further down the roof - it was a JBJ kaleidoscope!!! DD said "look Mum, Jon Jovi"!!! The whole crowd gathers to watch the show and everybody was singing along, it was a fabulous show with all of my favourite songs in it, the 10pm show was Queen which we would have loved to have seen, but there's not all that much to do with kids in Fremont Street, and we were happy to leave. It's a bit of a 'been there, done that' place. So I'll just watch the Queen one on YouTube!!

We really didn't get to see enough of Las Vegas, it was hot so we were at the pool, also a lot of shows aren't on on Mondays and Tuesdays - so DH and I will just have to go back on our own!!

The Venetian is a gorgeous place to stay - there seemed to be a lot more to do there than at the Bellagio where we stayed last time, although the Bellagio seems like the 'centre' of the strip to me - so everything has it's pros and cons. Our room had 2 giant beds and a sunken living room area as well as a huge marble bathroom and entrance. There was a TV in the living room area as well as the bedroom part, and even the hallways are beyond gorgeous! The shops, gondolas and St. Mark's Square section downstairs are beautiful AND they have their own Sephora - hooray!!!

We loved Vegas, even though I didn't run into Bradley Cooper, and I would stay at the Venetian again, every morning I would lie in bed and look across the road to the Mirage - the Cirque De Soleil show Love is on there and they have giant billboards right across the top of the Mirage....the sun glinting off Ringo's nose was a memorable sight!!

Las Vegas is a great place to stop off on your way back from the East Coast if you don't want to go to LA, when you leave, you just check your bags all the way through to Australia and it's a 39 minute flight to LAX - it's a great place to have a 'stop-over' on the way home. Las Vegas - love it, not a must-do, but a 'you should really try to'!!

I feel like I have been there with you, you have made it sound such a fun trip. So you're back - planning the next one yet?

I'm still reading along and loving your TR!

Thanks for the info on the Vegas outlets. Good to know the South outlet is 'indoors' and has an IHOP! Don't know what the weather will be doing during early September.

I have loved reading your trip report. So descriptive and entertaining.
We are staying at the Tahiti Resort in LV in Sep, which I think is across the road from the South Outlet so I am looking forward to the shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter