We're No Cowboys, but We'll Say Howdy to You - A Sept. 2016 DL Paris TR *Complete and New TR Link

September 16th, 2016:

My mom, Alex, and I took our time getting up this morning. The kids played around the room while I packed up our belongings and made sure everything was in order. Even though we had just arrived two nights ago, it was already time to check out of our resort and finish up our Disneyland Paris trip.

Alex loaded the car and then met my mom and I and the kids downstairs for the breakfast buffet. Once again, the food was nothing to write home about, but at least this time we were prepared. We did our best to fill up on the cereals and pastries and convinced Landon and Evie to eat some yogurt.

At 9:30, we all walked over to Disney Studios and waited in line for the park to open at 10 a.m. While we were standing around, a couple of young girls cut right in front of us. No reason for it, they weren’t meeting up with other members of a party or failed to see the significant line that was building by the minute. Nope. They simply did not want to wait at the end.

One last crazy guest run in before we left the parks, I suppose…

(Alex might have “accidentally” run over their heels with the stroller as we neared the ticket readers. While I didn’t condone the action, I wasn’t losing any sleep over it, either.)

Inside the park, Alex took all the tickets and ran over to Ratatouille to grab paper Fastpasses for the attraction while my mom and I took the kids back over to Toy Story Play Land.

Naturally, Landon wanted to ride Slinky Dog again.

The kiddo would have to wait, though. Because when Alex met back up with us, we ditched the children with my mom and hopped in an empty line for the RC Racer.

That was such a fun attraction! It was nothing more than a giant swing, but I still had a blast sitting in the front and experiencing that free fall feeling both forwards and backwards. And since it was still empty when we got off, Alex and I took a second spin on it.

I wish the seating capacity for this ride was bigger. With only one car that fits 20 people at a time, the attraction can get backed up fast. I was grateful we got to it first thing at park opening, because if we hadn’t I doubted we would ever get to try the attraction on future trips.

And to be honest, when I first heard about Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios, I was secretly bummed the RC Racer wouldn’t be included. When you’re at the back swing and are staring straight down the ramp, you get one heck of a thrill.

I could have gone on it a third time, but Landon was becoming very impatient for my mom. He was anxious to get back on Slinky Dog. So the three of us took turns taking Landon on his new favorite ride (the wait times were minimal again) a total of four times.

IMG_3996.JPG

And yes, Landon still insisted he sit in the same seat as the day before.

That’s my kid for you…

After Round Number 4, we had to let Landon say goodbye to the ride because our Ratatouille Fastpasses had come due. Fortunately, the attraction was right next to us, and it took less than five minutes to get the kids out of stroller and into the queue.

Ratatouille is a 4D ride where you are shrunk down to “rat size” and travel to Gusteau’s Restaurant, where you are chased through various rooms. The big draw to this attraction is the fact that it uses trackless technology to move the vehicles around, which I have no idea the mechanics behind but I do know it makes the story seems a lot more authentic.

Not going to lie, you feel like you’re on an air hockey table, the way you shuffle around. The biggest downside was that I caught myself concentrating on the floor, wondering, “How are they doing this?!?”

I know there are people out there who LOVE this attraction, think it’s the best thing Disney has ever invented, but I don’t fall into the diehard category. I liked it a lot, thought it was new and inventive and fresh, but it still relies on 3D effects that only entertain me to a point. After a while, those screens give me a headache, so Ratatouille isn’t something I could ride multiple times in a day.

However, I think this ride is going to fit in great at the France pavilion, and I’m very excited to see it make its way to Florida. It’s the perfect addition to a World Showcase pavilion. Better suited than Frozen, I’ll say.

It was nearing lunchtime by the time we exited Ratatouille, which also meant it was nearing time for us to head home. We stopped in a few more shops on our way out.

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

And caught this fun post in the ground near the entrance area to the two parks:

IMG_3998.JPG

We grabbed lunch from Earl of Sandwich, because my husband can’t go to Disney without eating here once, and soaked up the atmosphere of Disneyland Paris for a little bit longer. Back at Sequoia Lodge, we strolled through the grounds to get a better feel of the layout of the resort and snuck in a quick peek at the indoor pool. (It looked pretty nice.)

Then, around 1pm, we loaded the last of our belongings into the car and drove back to Germany. Aside from the broken toll booth snafu, it was an uneventful drive home. We hit a ton of traffic in Luxembourg, but that seems to always be the case. I’m starting to think Luxembourg just has terrible backups…

We made it back home around 6 pm and were settled back into our lives in no time. It was hard to believe we had woken up in France and were eating dinner back in Germany. I couldn’t believe we lived so close to the Disney parks, especially since our previous home wasn’t much farther from Disney World. It’s such an easy trip that if Alex hadn’t deployed this summer I’m sure we would have returned to Paris by now.

As it is, with Landon starting school next week (what?!) our schedules are going to get a little more constrained, but I’m sure we’ll find time to make a second trip. The parks have so many offerings unique to DLP that I am itching to get back and experience them again. I know for us Walt Disney World vets, Disneyland Paris seems like such a faraway place, but I would urge all my Disney friends not to pass up the chance to visit the parks if the opportunity arises. The castle is gorgeous, the location is convenient, and the theming in the various lands are extraordinary.

I really, really liked Disneyland Paris.

That’s all I can say on the matter.

And with that, I want to thank everyone for following along and reading about my family’s short but sweet vacation to the parks. It was so much fun to recall our experiences and look back on all the photographs. If you care to stick around, I’m sure here before too long I’ll post a link to my July Disney trip once I get the pictures organized and the first update written.

Thanks again, you guys!

Lovely TR! Thank you for taking the time you did to write it and post all the photos. I must say, DLP is a very lovely park and someday, I'd sure love to go there!

But one question? You mentioned that Disney doesn't run this park, but they will? I had NO idea!!! Has that always been the case? They own it, but don't actually operate it? I'm confused!

(Alex might have “accidentally” run over their heels with the stroller as we neared the ticket readers. While I didn’t condone the action, I wasn’t losing any sleep over it, either.)

Yay Alex!
I mean, obviously I don't condone assaulting people with strollers, but ... some people deserve it.

I'm glad you and Alex got to ride on RC Racer! I hate it when ride lines get super long because of low capacity ... it's definitely tough. That's one of the many times when getting to the park early pays off! And I'm glad that Landon got more rides on Slinky Dog ... all in his favorite seat. I'm sure you know this already, but your kid is awesome.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ratatouille. I'm excited to try it, but I'm definitely wondering if after a while I'll get annoyed with all the 3D. The 3D effects definitely start to feel stale after a while. Since I have no trip to DLP on the horizon, I guess I'll just have to wait for it to open in Florida before I can form an opinion.

I'm so glad I got the chance to read all about your Disneyland Paris trip! It was a real treat, because I'm super interested in going someday—it's on the list of arbitrary travel-must-dos in the next 6 years before I turn 30—and because your little family is beautiful and entertaining. So pleased that you had such a good experience here. <3 Thanks so much for sharing!

Oops... :rolleyes1

I could have gone on it a third time, but Landon was becoming very impatient for my mom. He was anxious to get back on Slinky Dog. So the three of us took turns taking Landon on his new favorite ride (the wait times were minimal again) a total of four times.
If nothing else, he's a creature of habit! I'm glad he found a clear favorite!

The biggest downside was that I caught myself concentrating on the floor, wondering, “How are they doing this?!?”
I'd totally do the same thing.

However, I think this ride is going to fit in great at the France pavilion, and I’m very excited to see it make its way to Florida. It’s the perfect addition to a World Showcase pavilion. Better suited than Frozen, I’ll say.
I agree! It isn't even in a make believe place that is similar to a country.

I think your comment about the 3D is a fair one to make. I've yet to see 3D anywhere that really looks crystal clear and doesn't seem to feel like it screws with my eyes a little bit.

As it is, with Landon starting school next week (what?!) our schedules are going to get a little more constrained, but I’m sure we’ll find time to make a second trip. The parks have so many offerings unique to DLP that I am itching to get back and experience them again. I know for us Walt Disney World vets, Disneyland Paris seems like such a faraway place, but I would urge all my Disney friends not to pass up the chance to visit the parks if the opportunity arises. The castle is gorgeous, the location is convenient, and the theming in the various lands are extraordinary.
I definitely want to visit DLP! I hope I get a chance to sometime. There are a lot of places I'd love to see in Europe.

Sounds like a nice final morning! RC Racers sounds like a fun ride! I am really excited for the Ratatouille ride to make its way to Epcot.

Glad you made it home with no issues!

Thank you for sharing! It was nice to read about a park I don't normally get to hear about!

I look forward to the next TR :)

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. If I ever get to visit Paris I will definitely venture to Disneyland Paris for a few days. I look forward to your July trip.

Thanks for sharing you trip to Disneyland Paris. I've always wanted to go and now I want to go even more. I'm looking forward to the Ratatouille ride. I have to ask, did it give you any motion sickness? I'm not a big fan of the 3D either.

Lovely TR! Thank you for taking the time you did to write it and post all the photos. I must say, DLP is a very lovely park and someday, I'd sure love to go there!

But one question? You mentioned that Disney doesn't run this park, but they will? I had NO idea!!! Has that always been the case? They own it, but don't actually operate it? I'm confused!

Up until here recently, Disney didn't own majority shares of the park, so it was the French that had ultimate control over operations. But here recently, Disney bought out the French's shares and so now they will be able to actually oversee the day to day operations. For the longest time the Cast Members at DLP could get away with being a tad bit more "rude" to the guests because they were employed by the French, not by Disney and therefore didn't have to live up to Disney standards. Now, thankfully, that's all changed.

Yay Alex!
I mean, obviously I don't condone assaulting people with strollers, but ... some people deserve it.

I'm glad you and Alex got to ride on RC Racer! I hate it when ride lines get super long because of low capacity ... it's definitely tough. That's one of the many times when getting to the park early pays off! And I'm glad that Landon got more rides on Slinky Dog ... all in his favorite seat. I'm sure you know this already, but your kid is awesome.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ratatouille. I'm excited to try it, but I'm definitely wondering if after a while I'll get annoyed with all the 3D. The 3D effects definitely start to feel stale after a while. Since I have no trip to DLP on the horizon, I guess I'll just have to wait for it to open in Florida before I can form an opinion.

Getting to a park at opening is essential! It can really set the tone for the rest of your park day.
Haha, Landon is something else. He definitely livens up our house.

I do think the 3D will get old after awhile, but I guess it's no different than Star Tours or Flight of Passage. During my ride, I mainly focused on the floor and blocked out the special effects.

I'm so glad I got the chance to read all about your Disneyland Paris trip! It was a real treat, because I'm super interested in going someday—it's on the list of arbitrary travel-must-dos in the next 6 years before I turn 30—and because your little family is beautiful and entertaining. So pleased that you had such a good experience here. <3 Thanks so much for sharing!

I hope you can make it to Europe in the 6 years! It's amazing, and I'm already heartbroken I'll have to leave in the future.

Thanks for the great report! It's definitely on my someday to do list!

I hope you get to do it one day! I mean, you accomplished Alaska for your 10th Anniversary, the next logical step is Europe for your 20th, right?

Sounds like a nice final morning! RC Racers sounds like a fun ride! I am really excited for the Ratatouille ride to make its way to Epcot.

Glad you made it home with no issues!

Thank you for sharing! It was nice to read about a park I don't normally get to hear about!

I look forward to the next TR :)

RC Racers was such a fun ride! Thanks for reading and following along, it was really fun to write about a new Disney park.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. If I ever get to visit Paris I will definitely venture to Disneyland Paris for a few days. I look forward to your July trip.

I would highly recommend taking a day and seeing the parks if you're a big Disney fan. It's worth the extra day on a trip!

Thanks for sharing you trip to Disneyland Paris. I've always wanted to go and now I want to go even more. I'm looking forward to the Ratatouille ride. I have to ask, did it give you any motion sickness? I'm not a big fan of the 3D either.

The ride didn't give me too much motion sickness, but I was watching the floor a lot to see how the trackless system was working. My mom is a little more sensitive to motion rides and while she said that one left her feeling "okay" she certainly didn't want to do it again.

Great trip report. Very much looking forward to hearing more of your adventures in the future :)

Thanks! And I'm pretty excited to write about my July trip, if for no other reason than the fact that I want to be reminded of warm sunny FL! (It's been cold and rainy here the last few weeks; I've already had to turn the radiators on. :crazy2:)

Just finished up reading your TR. Thanks so much for sharing - can't wait to see it ourselves!

I just found this TR - thanks for taking the time. I've read all your other TR's. Based on what you liked about DLP, I think you'll love DL! It's so nice to walk from DL into Calif Adventure. I wouldn't say I prefer DL over WDW but it's a close second. I'd love to experience DLP - someday!

Just finished up reading your TR. Thanks so much for sharing - can't wait to see it ourselves!

Speaking of, I keep forgetting to send you a message. Be on the lookout for one! I have been talking with Alex, and I think we are coming to a decision regarding another Disneyland Paris trip...:rolleyes1

I just found this TR - thanks for taking the time. I've read all your other TR's. Based on what you liked about DLP, I think you'll love DL! It's so nice to walk from DL into Calif Adventure. I wouldn't say I prefer DL over WDW but it's a close second. I'd love to experience DLP - someday!

Thanks for reading!

I am more impatient than ever to see Disneyland CA. I think DLP really put the bug in my head, and I keep telling Alex we need to get stationed in CA next so we can get to know that park. :rotfl2:

Really enjoyed this TR and man oh man do I miss DLP! I hope we can get back there someday. You're so right, it's something every Disney fan should experience at least once!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!