"Wet" Rides In December?

curemyreed

DIS Veteran
We are headed to WDW the 3rd week of December. I've really been kicking around trying out the 2 Universal parks. But it looks like so many of the rides are the water type that may get your clothes pretty wet. I'm wondering how people tour these parks in the colder weather? Should we just wait & try to visit sometime when we are in Florida during the warmer months?

Darn! It looks like I posted this thread in the wrong area, but I don't know how to move it? Could someone move it or instruct me in how to do that? So sorry!

In December, temperatures can fluctuate quite a bit. We've been a couple of times around that time, and we would have a couple days where the high would be in the 60s and then jump into the 80s for a day or two. Keep watching Orlando's weather and plan on IOA during the warm day of the week.

Also, it is possible to skip the 2 soaking water rides (Popeye's and Dudley's) and still have a fun visit to IOA. With all the remaining rides, plus a great lunch at Mythos, there's plenty to do.

Yes we found the weather so hot we loved the wet rides even at Christmas last year. There are really only 2 that soak you. Dudley's and Popeye's. The rest do not. Jurassic looks like you will get soaked but most times you just get a little wet. We haven't been soaked on it yet. But Dudley's and Popeye's soak us every time.

Please do yourself a favor and ride the water rides. I know winter isn't the ideal time to ride these attractions, but they are so over top good it is worth it.

Popeye is a really long rapids ride with some unique elements. The best is the waterfall after the boat wash. Your boat stops at the edge of an aprox 3-4 waterfall before continuing over the drop. I wish there was an observation deck for the public to see this. It is really well done and there is a lengthy patent online describing how it works. However, unless you want to be soaking wet, a poncho is almost a requirement for Popeye. IOA has recently added 2 Haystack Dryers at the exit to Popeye's. They are basically family dryers that have heat lamps and blow dryers inside a small vertical cubible. You pay $3-4 bucks, put your family in and get dried off in a matter of a few minutes. I don't know how well these work, I think Dollywood is the only other park in the US that has these, but something to keep in mind.

Dudley Do Right is also a lot of fun. I really don't like the in line seating on this ride because it feels too confined. I prefer the side by side seating on Splash Mt, but I think Dudley is the better of the 2 rides. The drops are not only longer, but have some great surprises.

Finally, Jurassic Park River Adventure is lots of fun and not to be missed. The splash down into the lagoon looks like a tidal wave, but you don't normally get anything other than a mist.

Have fun on your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter