What’s wrong with this school group?

Slightly OT -- another example of Disney saying one thing, but doing something else. When I was driving, the policy stated on the web site was no luggage allowed, while the policy internal to the Transportation dept. was that luggage was permitted so long as it was within the Guests' control and not blocking the aisle or exits.
That's what I thought the 'rule' was!!! Yes, these people were at the very back of the bus...but now I have to wonder that as more people do this, will it encourage even more to move from resort to resort with their bags, on the buses? Not a great idea!!!

You would have liked the one driver we had at POFQ last month. He kept telling people to move to the back or get out of the way so others could. He implied strongly that we weren't going anywhere until that happened.
He would have had a nice recommendation from me!!!!

Can I say I had two opposite experiences last week? People actively not wanting to be the "rude" one that sat. There was one bus at closing with FOUR open seats but people were packed in standing and people were waiting. My whole group was sitting and I yelled "There are four empty seats this way." No one moved. I yelled "Can people sit so more can get on?" Finally, they filled in.

The other time, we drove off with no one waiting but three empty seats and five standers. o_O
There are times that I start to feel like a bus monitor down there. I'm always yelling 'If you move back, more people can get on the bus!!!'
or 'There are empty seats back here!!! Room for 4 more to sit down' but for some reason people won't move back. Drives me nuts. Maybe it's because they want to get off the bus as quickly as possible and start their fun in a park.

We also had a GREAT bus driver who saw that a woman and her child were stuck standing on one of our busses and told the bus that someone better get up and give them their seat, otherwise he would pick someone. Literally everyone sitting just stared at each other until an older man got up to stand. That was ridiculous. There were so many other people who could have offered their seat yet the oldest man on the bus has to stand? Ugh.

If a bus driver said that and I heard it, I'd report him to management. That's threatening, and most likely illegal. The only seats that have signs to be available for the handicapped are the ones that fold up, and a few tagged in the front. Thing is, you can't ask for proof if someone is handicapped. And you don't have to get up because the bus driver wants a woman and a kid to have a seat.

I’ve replied before about this topic & some lady went on a rant telling me about how women didn’t need a man to xyz, etc. I am a woman btw. I was raised that the young (boy or girl) & men should give up their seats to ladies & older people. Also we were taught to open a door for others, husbands do not walk in front of their wives, & to generally be courteous to each other. We have raised our children this way too. Our son would never stay seated while older people or ladies stand & he would never open a door & walk thru before a lady. It’s not because of some male dominance issue, he knows women (or the elderly) are fully able to manage alone. He does it because he was raised to respect & show respect to others. And it does annoy me when I see fully able people making the elderly or people with small children in their arms stand. I’ve given up my seat to men & women on the busses who needed it more than me. I’ve also been on the other end when our children were little & I was standing, trying to hold on to one of our children & not fall over with no one offering a seat. In those situations I’d have been grateful if they’d have at least offered it to my child. But people can be self centered & selfish at times, especially when tired.

It's only respect if you do it for all ages and genders. Once you start to categorize who 'needs' a seat, you are patronizing. it should be based on need - and who can judge that correctly 100%? But people should think about it - that young guy you think should stand may have sickle cell, or juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

I personally think a mentality like "every fit adult male with empty hands on a full bus [has] to be on his feet" is actually pretty insulting to women, implying that they're delicate flowers incapable of standing on their own.

Of course people should be kind and offer seats to those who look like they need one, but blanket policies based on gender are, no matter how well intentioned, a little demeaning.

I totally agree - but people find it hard to think beyond how they were raised, and can feel threatened when their values are questioned. But I think it's good to make people think about traditions and if they are positive or negative.

I couldn't disagree more. I could never naturally come to the conclusion that it is demeaning for a man to offer his seat or open a door for me when, in fact, these gestures are acts of sacrificing his own wants/needs and making himself less important in order to honor me.

But are you being honored for your gender or for some other reason? If it's just gender, that's sexism - why not give up the seat for anyone who needs it, hold the door for anyone who needs it? No need to be the knight in shining armor "sacrificing" for the weaker sex.

It's etiquette, and people aren't teaching it anymore. We've had plenty of trips where I was left standing with two infants/toddlers in my arms while DH juggled the stroller. We have taught our girls that if an individual gets on the bus who is a senior, injured, or with a young child that you give up your seat. It's called being polite.

See - this I agree with - anyone who needs a seat should be offered one if you can do without. My 77 year old FIL could stand on a bus for hours (does it in Mexico all the time) and my girls could do it as well. So they offer seats when they see anyone who needs one; male, female, old, young. Some people say yes, some say no. Life goes on.

You misunderstood me. It's not demeaning a woman for a man to sacrifice his own wants/needs or to make himself less important in a simple gesture of holding a door or offering a seat to a woman. I'm not in the camp of demasculinizing men to make women look/feel stronger/in control nor do I have patience for redefining/misconstruing the natural/common meaning of words or gestures in order to fit a specific agenda.

But you consider a sacrifice, like we can't sacrifice, only the manly men can. And then you sealed the deal with the term "demasculizing'. (It's actually emasculating:
deprive (a man) of his male role or identity.

That's the problem right there. You've assigned a certain behavior based on a gender identity.

BINGO! This is exactly the problem. There was a generation that rejected their parents teachings so they never passed that along.

For some good reasons - think of what was being done before.

If a bus driver said that and I heard it, I'd report him to management. That's threatening, and most likely illegal. The only seats that have signs to be available for the handicapped are the ones that fold up, and a few tagged in the front. Thing is, you can't ask for proof if someone is handicapped. And you don't have to get up because the bus driver wants a woman and a kid to have a seat.

It's only respect if you do it for all ages and genders. Once you start to categorize who 'needs' a seat, you are patronizing. it should be based on need - and who can judge that correctly 100%? But people should think about it - that young guy you think should stand may have sickle cell, or juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

I totally agree - but people find it hard to think beyond how they were raised, and can feel threatened when their values are questioned. But I think it's good to make people think about traditions and if they are positive or negative.

But are you being honored for your gender or for some other reason? If it's just gender, that's sexism - why not give up the seat for anyone who needs it, hold the door for anyone who needs it? No need to be the knight in shining armor "sacrificing" for the weaker sex.

See - this I agree with - anyone who needs a seat should be offered one if you can do without. My 77 year old FIL could stand on a bus for hours (does it in Mexico all the time) and my girls could do it as well. So they offer seats when they see anyone who needs one; male, female, old, young. Some people say yes, some say no. Life goes on.

But you consider a sacrifice, like we can't sacrifice, only the manly men can. And then you sealed the deal with the term "demasculizing'. (It's actually emasculating:
deprive (a man) of his male role or identity.

That's the problem right there. You've assigned a certain behavior based on a gender identity.

For some good reasons - think of what was being done before.

Seriously? Lol, I love being told that the manners and etiquette I was raised with is wrong and everything is sexist, demeaning, etc. I feel sorry for those that think this way. Maybe they don't realize we're all in this together. It's about being kind, generous, and thinking of your fellow man. Ya know, do unto others? Everyone should try it and pass it along to the next person. I'm outta here on this one.
Peace

Seriously? Lol, I love being told that the manners and etiquette I was raised with is wrong and everything is sexist, demeaning, etc. I feel sorry for those that think this way. Maybe they don't realize we're all in this together. It's about being kind, generous, and thinking of your fellow man. Ya know, do unto others? Everyone should try it and pass it along to the next person. I'm outta here on this one.
Peace

Manners shouldn't only be shown to women. That is the point.

lol seriously? If there is a woman with a very young child standing on a bus, that is DANGEROUS and of course someone should have the common sense to get up and give them a seat. I highly doubt he would force someone with a handicap to get up - the point is that someone who is able to stand should have the decency to stand. I commend that bus driver. You are reading wayyyy too far into all of this

lol seriously? If there is a woman with a very young child standing on a bus, that is DANGEROUS and of course someone should have the common sense to get up and give them a seat. I highly doubt he would force someone with a handicap to get up - the point is that someone who is able to stand should have the decency to stand. I commend that bus driver. You are reading wayyyy too far into all of this
I think though there is more than one solution. I know standing can be awful. If I had the choice and didn't want to stand I would exit the bus and wait for another one which sucks I know. I know that sounds silly to say for some people but it is a possible solution rather than saying someone has to get up. There is no policy on that which is likely why the other poster was thinking along the lines of reporting the bus driver to management. What seems like a great thing in your mind would seem like an unprofessional thing to another.

Sure I could see the bus driver politely asking if someone would offer to move but in no way should a bus driver imply honestly that no movement will occur unless someone moves. Ask if you feel inclined to and then if no one moves that party that is looking for a seat will have two choices--stand or exit the bus and wait for another one. As you said standing is dangerous-if it is dangerous then the parent who has the child I would hope considers that thought as well and views the situation as that. There are two sides to that aspect: 1) A parent boards a WDW bus sees there is only standing room and using your words views it as dangerous and thus gets off the bus in order to wait for another one 2) A parent boards a WDW bus sees there is only standing room and using your words views it as dangerous and thus insists on someone giving up their seat(s) so they do not have to stand.

The thing is people can be polite and have manners and yet still have boundaries in their lives. There is not only one way to handle a situation like this and if a bus full of people choose to stay sitting doesn't automatically mean they are indecent folks.

It's sorta interesting to me honestly because I was taught to hold the doors for everyone basically but it never once occurred to me to view someone who didn't hold the door open as indecent or rude or impolite or lacked all manners. Though sure letting the door close in my face could be if the person was truly aware of my presence behind them but that's the only time I would think something like that. I guess that's one aspect of my life I choose not to judge peeps in that way. IDK but maybe that's why I don't see it as rude or impolite or whatever if someone doesn't leap up from their seat and offer it to someone else.

Yeah sorry, I think expecting people to give up their seat because you feel you need it more is actually pretty unreasonable. You say they don't have manners, but here you are expecting people to do things for you for no other reason than you expect it. I'll give up my seat for someone I see as being in need (the elderly, someone with an injury, etc.), but I would never expect someone to move for me just because I'm an adult with children. I'm not disabled, I can stand just as well as anyone else. What makes you think that "every fit adult male with empty hands" owes you their seat?

Here's my story. Outside I am 68, gray hair, wrinkly face, but 35 inside. I turned down a seat on a very full bus on my trip in 2016. Big mistake. Couldn't keep my balance,and kept falling into other people. 2017 trip I accepted seats. I also offer my seat for families with young children, as it is hard for them to hold on. Maybe my imagination but I noticed that when I did, other people would also offer their seat.

One perk it that I always feel good I helped out another guest.

I'll always give up my seat to a lady (in WDW), which is normally perfectly fine, except after park closing, and there's a good 20-30 bus ride back from Epcot, or 25-40 from MK to AKL. Even then its really not a big deal, and I'm perfectly happy to do it.

(If it's demeaning I'm perfectly happy to keep sitting! Political correctness is taking over everything, including a small act of kindness like offering your seat!)

I am accustomed to buses and trolleys which can be rough, but something about those Disney buses are ROUGH. Like I usually need both hands to hold on to something, and on the bus or trolley normally I may not need to hold on at all.

Public transit here in Philly it can vary, but I offer the majority of the time.

I must look really old, LOL, because I always get asked it I want to sit down! I'm 68 y/o and have some mobility issues and a chronic pain condition that is invisible. So by parks end, I am a hurting unit. I don't expect anyone to get up for me, but it is very much appreciated if they do.
My 70 y/o husband always offers a seat to others. I am surprised at the amount of women who look at him with a not too nice glare and say No, I can stand. He wasn't making a judgment as to whether they could or not, being a woman, but just offering as he was taught. He has old fashioned manners, which I appreciate.
I always gratefully appreciate being offered a seat, but I certainly don't demand it. It's a nice gesture to someone who is elderly and has mobility issues is all. It does not ruin my day if that does not happen. But, like I said, it is rare when I am not offered a seat.

I would also say that maybe the lady should have enough common sense to not get on the bus in the first place. The buses are made to hold more people standing than sitting. Odds are if you are using the buses to get around you will have to stand at some point. If that doesn't work for you and your family, then you need to make other plans. Be ready to step aside and wait for bus with open seating. Hop in a taxi. Maybe even rent a car for your trip. Expecting others to see to your needs when you can't be bothered to do so yourself is very rude, imho.

People should be free to offer seats if they are willing. Not made to feel like scum if they don't.

This is an interesting topic. My family usually rents a car but this trip we finally tried the buses, and I don't think we will again. My boyfriend and I are both young and generally appear healthy. However, during our trip we were both recovering from back/spine problems, enough that both of us have been to an emergency room lately for the issues. We both felt horrible for not getting up for others on the bus at the end of the day, but knew if we did, then we would be in pain and potentially fall on others.

While I understand and was taught proper manners, I hope people don't just look at others who are sitting on the bus and think "well that person really should be giving up his/her seat for X" because you never know what is going on with that person too. Disney is not an easy place, and a lot of people are hurting at the end of the day. So I think if you really want a seat, then maybe think of waiting for the next bus. I do feel like we got a few judgmental looks, but I also don't feel like I should need to explain how much pain I am in to the entire bus either...

I didn't read the whole thread.....we just got back, we had one bad encounter with guest and a whole bunch of nice people.

I'm pushing my DH in wheelchair, in order to get up a ramp, I'd usually do a running start.......now when I say running start.....think of winnie the pooh going after a honey pot, not a gazelle leaping over stalks of grass, got it?...so I'm doing this running start and this young teenager goes zipping around me with a toddler in a stroller like we are in a race. I'm trying to get from point A to point B, don't need someone zipping around me.

On to the nice people. In line for haunted, one guest said to me, Do I want him to push for a bit, we are all going to the same place. Had several people stop traffic when I was trying to cross the pathway. Also hold gates open for us. Some waiting 20 -30 seconds until we got to the gate. Had guest flag down CM that a ramp was needed when we rode the monorail.

We had red and green lights on the large wheels on the wheelchair. We had dozens of people say they like the wheels. Most people just said, "cool wheels" or "awesome chair " in passing. A few stopped us to tell us they like it. One CM gave a high five. Another CM was impressed that they were led lights. One dad whose child was in a chair asked exactly how we did it.

Never encountered so many nice people. Few nice words made our day.

When we had small kids nobody offered seats to us, nor did I expect anyone to. I’ve seen the people with backpacks on seats which is rude, that I understand saying something or expecting it to be moved. Just because someone looks physically fit sitting doesn’t mean they are- young or middle age. Back conditions- heart condition etc

Having a child doesn’t entitle anyone to preferential treatment. If you must sit and bus full wait or taxi.

We usually rent cars when at Disney. I’m 52- decent shape but have back spasms and sometimes can’t get up without assistance. Most recent trip my ankles and legs swelled so bad- unless you looked closely I’d appear fine. Heart issues yes I have. Reason my able bodied son next to me - in case I need help.

I'm surprised this has remained so civil...way to go people!!! You make me proud!
In any case, here's how I feel. I'm 68 and physically capable of standing on a moving bus. I actually enjoy it! I don't look my age, nor do I act it. If I'm sitting, I will always hop up for someone who appears to need the seat. I have gotten some pretty dirty looks from seated men...not sure if I had made them feel guilty or not, that wasn't my intention.
I can't discern disabilities or issues. So, I'm not going to judge someone for remaining seated as others board and who look like they could use a seat. On the other hand, I'm not going to feel guilty if someone boards the bus, and upon discovering they have to stand and starts complaining that they have to have a seat! You can see if a bus is going to be full. No one should get on a full bus, expecting others to give up their seats...it's unfair, not to mention rude.

The nicest thing I saw in my two weeks there? A family of about 8 with a senior in a wheelchair. The wheelchair was in the appointed spot for pickup at the resort. After they got the family member in that spot, all but two family members got into the regular line. Someone told them that 'hey, you can all get on together you know'. One of the family just smiled and said they knew that, but didn't think it was fair to take up 12 or so seats before anyone else boarded!! Whoa. What a concept. So, two people boarded with gram, probably her child and spouse, while the others waited in line. And yes, some of them ended up standing. It was refreshing to see.

I'm surprised this has remained so civil...way to go people!!! You make me proud!
In any case, here's how I feel. I'm 68 and physically capable of standing on a moving bus. I actually enjoy it! I don't look my age, nor do I act it. If I'm sitting, I will always hop up for someone who appears to need the seat. I have gotten some pretty dirty looks from seated men...not sure if I had made them feel guilty or not, that wasn't my intention.
I can't discern disabilities or issues. So, I'm not going to judge someone for remaining seated as others board and who look like they could use a seat. On the other hand, I'm not going to feel guilty if someone boards the bus, and upon discovering they have to stand and starts complaining that they have to have a seat! You can see if a bus is going to be full. No one should get on a full bus, expecting others to give up their seats...it's unfair, not to mention rude.

Do you give up your seat to someone who looks older? Just as a polite thing, maybe not a need thing. I sit and wonder, do they look older than I? Will I insult them to offer them a seat?

Do you give up your seat to someone who looks older? Just as a polite thing, maybe not a need thing. I sit and wonder, do they look older than I? Will I insult them to offer them a seat?

I offer my seat if someone looks like they could use it. Doesn't matter their age. Sometimes you can tell they've just had a long and exhausting day. If they get insulted, so be it. If they are such a negative person that they take offense, that's on them, not me. All I've tried to do is pass on a kindness that someone else passed on to me. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts