What’s Your Order of Operations When Boarding the Wonder?

DisneyPiPhi

DIS Veteran
We have a 12:30 PAT for our December 15 MerryTime Cruise on the Wonder. I know this can be a busy day and I’m eager to hear how others manage it!

What’s your order of operations when boarding the Wonder?

Do you head to lunch first? If so, where? Or do you sign up for onboard activities first? What other immediate must-do items am I leaving out?

If you want to sign up to make a Gingerbread House I would head to Guest Services first because this does fill up fast.

Depends on your priorities!! If you plan to do meet/greets, change dinner times, book Palo, etc., check them out first. Look over your Navigator for immediate activities (i.e. tour of ship) you might like to do. Or, if you and your kids are hungry, head for the food, usually available in several locations. We haven't done a holiday cruise, so am not familiar with special "must do" activities tied to it. Good luck and happy sailing!!

Gingerbread sign up (unless they've moved it to online). We grab a snack on top deck.

No, they have not offered the gingerbread house sign-up online, so that will definitely be a top priority for our family. DD is five, so this activity would be perfect for her!

I need to look at all my embarkation day snacking and meal options! I'm committed to getting my money's worth on this cruise by eating all the things. ;)

No, they have not offered the gingerbread house sign-up online, so that will definitely be a top priority for our family. DD is five, so this activity would be perfect for her!

I need to look at all my embarkation day snacking and meal options! I'm committed to getting my money's worth on this cruise by eating all the things. ;)
I am pretty sure they still have embarkation lunch at Triton's which is really relaxing (and beautiful), but our kids never want to sit still. We find the buffet very crowded at embarkcation lunch, but we do it sometimes. Usually our kids want to go on the top deck and grab snacks instead. You'll have a great time.

I am pretty sure they still have embarkation lunch at Triton's which is really relaxing (and beautiful), but our kids never want to sit still. We find the buffet very crowded at embarkcation lunch, but we do it sometimes. Usually our kids want to go on the top deck and grab snacks instead. You'll have a great time.

Yes, I've heard that about Cabanas, and we don't generally do well in crowds. The sit-down lunch might work well for us, but I like the snack idea, too!

I'm usually board before the staterooms are ready so I usually grab something to eat at Triton's, then I head to wherever the meeting place is for dining changes/Palo reservations to verify my MDR requests and try to add one or two more Palo reservations. After this I usually go looking for some cast members from my previous cruises (I've sailed on the Wonder more than any other ship). By this time stateroom are ready so once I arrive in my stateroom I unpack, look at my tickets for my port adventures and see what Castaway gift I have. Next it's lifeboat drill than sail way party.

I'm usually board before the staterooms are ready so I usually grab something to eat at Triton's, then I head to wherever the meeting place is for dining changes/Palo reservations to verify my MDR requests and try to add one or two more Palo reservations. After this I usually go looking for some cast members from my previous cruises (I've sailed on the Wonder more than any other ship). By this time stateroom are ready so once I arrive in my stateroom I unpack, look at my tickets for my port adventures and see what Castaway gift I have. Next it's lifeboat drill than sail way party.

This was very thorough. Thank you!

So, I'm thinking that some of the typical first-day activities don't really apply to us. For example, we have a Palo brunch, so I don't need to set up anything with Palo. We're also not making MDR requests - it's our first cruise, so I'm content to accept whatever dining rotation they want to give us. :)

I'm thinking that when we board, we'll...
  1. Sign up for gingerbread houses and try to book a Frozen meet-and-greet, since those were sold out when we booked at 68 days.
  2. Eat somewhere - check Cabanas, and if it's crazy, sit down in Triton's or grab snacks upstairs, depending on our mood
  3. I would then like to take one of the walking tours, if the times line up. DD will likely not want to do this, so DH can take her to explore an an area she is interested in.
  4. I also think we'd like to check out the kids clubs before the muster drill, so maybe after my walking tour, we can all go to the open house. Or DH and DD can go there during my tour and I can join them later.
  5. Check out our room
  6. Lifeboat drill
  7. Sail away party

We get a pic with the Ariel statue in the atrium if it's not too crowded. Then we have lunch, have always gone to Cabanas, but I'm looking forward to going to Tritons on our next cruise. After lunch we all go to the Oceaneer's open house. I usually leave dh and dd in the club to play, so I can unpack our luggage.

This was very thorough. Thank you!

So, I'm thinking that some of the typical first-day activities don't really apply to us. For example, we have a Palo brunch, so I don't need to set up anything with Palo. We're also not making MDR requests - it's our first cruise, so I'm content to accept whatever dining rotation they want to give us. :)

I'm thinking that when we board, we'll...
  1. Sign up for gingerbread houses and try to book a Frozen meet-and-greet, since those were sold out when we booked at 68 days.
  2. Eat somewhere - check Cabanas, and if it's crazy, sit down in Triton's or grab snacks upstairs, depending on our mood
  3. I would then like to take one of the walking tours, if the times line up. DD will likely not want to do this, so DH can take her to explore an an area she is interested in.
  4. I also think we'd like to check out the kids clubs before the muster drill, so maybe after my walking tour, we can all go to the open house. Or DH and DD can go there during my tour and I can join them later.
  5. Check out our room
  6. Lifeboat drill
  7. Sail away party
Now you are making me want to come! And I am a bit off dcl right now. :sail:

We ate lunch in Triton’s when we boarded in Vancouver last month, and service was really slow. If you’re looking for a quick meal, Cabanas may be a better option.

We personally like to grab a quick lunch at Cabanas and eat it by the pool while the kids swim. Least crowded day in the pools since most people don't pack their swimsuits in their carryon. We have the kids wear their suits under their clothes and bring clothes to change into.

We personally like to grab a quick lunch at Cabanas and eat it by the pool while the kids swim. Least crowded day in the pools since most people don't pack their swimsuits in their carryon. We have the kids wear their suits under their clothes and bring clothes to change into.

The suits-under-clothes idea is awesome! DD loves to swim and may want to do that right away.

To check how crazy Cabana's is, be sure to check outside, also one deck higher. We always ate outside and there was always space, even though the weather was beautiful, people didn't seem to want to eat outside (which was great for us, because I don't do well in crowds either and I love to eat outside)

Thanks for the tip! We love to eat outside as well, and that sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy the ship and avoid crowds.

We have a 12:30 PAT for our December 15 MerryTime Cruise on the Wonder. I know this can be a busy day and I’m eager to hear how others manage it!

What’s your order of operations when boarding the Wonder?

Do you head to lunch first? If so, where? Or do you sign up for onboard activities first? What other immediate must-do items am I leaving out?
I go to the bathroom first and then on to Cabanas for lunch.

MUN

Another tip, go to one of the public bathrooms and get some sea-sickness bags. The only place I have ever seen the bags is in the public bathrooms(usually in the bathrooms by the adult clubs/lounges), on the counters next to the sinks. We've been on 3 cruises and have only needed them once, but I like to get some to keep in our cabin and I always carry one in my pocket while out and about on the ship.

Hey we'll be on that cruise! It sounds like we booked around the same time too.

Our plan is to board, sign up for gingerbread house activity, lunch at Cabanas, then tour and check out the Oceaneer club/lab. If it's warm enough we might do some swiming too!

Have a good cruise!!

WBI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter