"What am I even doing with my life?" Comments Welcome!

In the queue for another training plan from Coach Billy!

In the meantime, I've done two easy blind runs. One yesterday. One today.

November 9th - 3.26 miles at 15:32 pace
November 10th - 3.36 miles at 15:26 pace

I'm still coughing a bit, but way less and not as hard. Figured I might as well get back to it. Coughs seem to linger forever.

Mid-week update.

So, my Tuesday run was short. It was short because I was looking at next Tuesday on the training plan when I went for the run. I was CONVINCED it was only 2.5 miles. Oops! It happens.

Yesterday was my I pace run. I pace for me is 12:02. I started with a 1 mile warm up and transitioned to the I pace after. I switched it up a little this time. During my last training cycle I did the RIs as a full walk. So if the RI was 2 minutes, I would walk for 2 minutes. This time, I did my easy pace during the RI. So I walked 30 seconds, jogged slow for a minute, and then walked 30 seconds. It was probably closer to 45 seconds of running though, if I'm honest. It was hard, but it went well. I was able to transition back into my easy pace for the cool down just fine. My I pace section ended up being .88 miles at a 13:34 pace including the RI. I have no idea how close that is to what I was supposed to do because I don't know how to do the math with the RI (lol) and my watch is still acting up and I can't see the intervals. But, in real time my I pace sections seemed pretty close to what it should have been. I hope!

As you can see, I'll be doing a magic mile this week to get a look at my pacing since I was sick during my last race. I hope it goes well! I'm weirdly nervous that it will be slower than it was back in April....

My I pace section ended up being .88 miles at a 13:34 pace including the RI.

Let's see...

6 minutes of 16:15 min/mile pace is 0.37 miles.
6 minutes of X min/mile pace must have been 0.51 miles (0.88-0.37). Doing 0.51 miles in 6 minutes is 11:46 min/mile pace.

Looks about right to me assuming your 6 minutes of RI was around easy/LR pace.

As you can see, I'll be doing a magic mile this week to get a look at my pacing since I was sick during my last race. I hope it goes well! I'm weirdly nervous that it will be slower than it was back in April....

Just remember it's not the end all be all or an assessment of you as a runner. It's just another data point in a series of lots of data points.

Ahh you're the best! I can always count on you to break things down! So, maybe a little fast on the RI if my easy was close to 16:15. Either way, not too bad and I was able to get it done!

Thanks!

Over the years I've learned with I pace - "Either you can or you can't. And if you did, then you could."

While I give a specific pace goal for the I pace, it's in reality more of an effort. And if you're able to be consistent in the workout and avoiding the fade, then you're likely doing the right pace. Especially if it feels very very hard.

My biggest issue with I pace runs seems to be the cool down. My cool down is always too fast.

In my mind it’s like getting off a highway. You’re going so fast that when you get off you accidentally go way over the speed limit because it feels so slow.

No? Only me...?

My biggest issue with I pace runs seems to be the cool down. My cool down is always too fast.

In my mind it’s like getting off a highway. You’re going so fast that when you get off you accidentally go way the speed limit because it feels so slow.

No? Only me...?

A good sign not a bad one. It just means that the workout didn't push you beyond the point (not a bad thing). Let's see what happens when the I pace is moved past 2 min and the real adaptations start to happen. Every second beyond 2 min is where VO2max is really being pushed.

I chased the sunlight today with a morning run rather than my usual afternoon run.
Honestly no idea how all you morning runners do it. I’m just so dead when I try to run in the morning!! It takes me way too long to wake up.
For me, my body prefers to run in the morning. My legs feel refreshed. It's the getting up part that is the hardest. Sometimes it takes 3 alarms and a million pep talks to get out of bed, but I just love the way I feel the rest of the day knowing I did my run already.

For me, my body prefers to run in the morning. My legs feel refreshed. It's the getting up part that is the hardest. Sometimes it takes 3 alarms and a million pep talks to get out of bed, but I just love the way I feel the rest of the day knowing I did my run already.
Interesting! I wish I was like that. In the Opposite. My legs feel heavy and my heart rate always ends up being higher than a similar run in the afternoon. Not super sure why - maybe I don’t give myself enough time between waking up and running.

Indoor trampoline parks are exhausting. Especially when you’re chasing a toddler who thinks he’s at least 5 years older than he is.

Anywho, I’m watching Brittany Runs a Marathon and I can honestly relate so far (I mean, not as dramatic, but I FEEL it).

Week 2 complete.

I did my MagicMile!

My last MM was in April. And the results looked like this

April 2019 Overall Min/Mile Pace: 11:44
1/4 Mile: 9:08 (OOPS!!)
1/2 Mile: 12:08
3/4 Mile: 12:53
4/4: Mile: 13:05
Extra: 12:13

Because of the too fast first 1/4 mile, Coach Billy decided to go with an 11:24 pace based on that performance. In my mind, 11:24 was the time to beat.

It was about 47 degrees out, but quite windy. Not too bad, but there were definitely some strong gusts. I started out with a 20 minute warm up. I was extra careful to keep this slow to conserve energy. I ended up doing 1.22 miles at a 15:51 pace. Super slow, but got the blood flowing.

Next, I went into the MM:

11:01! I beat my last MM by 23 seconds going off of the "corrected" pace and 43 seconds going off of the actual pace. I did manual segments on this run. After the first segment, I did walk briefly. 30 seconds or less, I'm not sure. I didn't time it. The segments were MUCH closer together (pace wise) than the April MM.

Finally, I went into the cool down. I did 1.31 miles with a 15:38 pace.

Overall, I'm glad that I beat April's time, but I'm still processing it. I kind of wish it was faster, but there has definitely been improvement. Thinking back, I felt worse after the April MM - even my cool down was shorter and significantly slower after that one. April's pacing was way worse and I took a LOT of walk breaks in the last half mile on that one. My heart rate was also (slightly) lower on today's run than on the April MM.

Some improvement is better than no improvement!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 5.40.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 5.40.21 PM.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This has nothing to do with running, but my boyfriend keeps asking me for Christmas gift ideas. I have NO idea. What is hip and cool these days? What’s everyone want?!

This has nothing to do with running, but my boyfriend keeps asking me for Christmas gift ideas. I have NO idea. What is hip and cool these days? What’s everyone want?!

I still say you need a Garmin watch, but if that's too much my flip belt and water bottle are probably my favorite pieces of running gear. There's always socks, leggings, headphones, entry to a cool race...

My husband really isn't into Christmas. Despite being married for twelve years, I don't think he's ever bought me a single Christmas gift. Your boyfriend is already ahead of him!

I still say you need a Garmin watch, but if that's too much my flip belt and water bottle are probably my favorite pieces of running gear. There's always socks, leggings, headphones, entry to a cool race...

My husband really isn't into Christmas. Despite being married for twelve years, I don't think he's ever bought me a single Christmas gift. Your boyfriend is already ahead of him!
I agree I need one!! But I don’t want him to buy it.
We’ve been together 8 years, so I feel like he should just figure it out himself haha. But, to be fair I’m also struggling to think of gifts for him this year.
I did suggest a running headband and replacement buds for my headphones and he said that was “lame.”
Psh! I’m too old, I buy everything I want!

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!!

I ran 4.25 yesterday before destroying some food.

I was supposed to do 1.25 miles easy, 2.5 miles at M Tempo, and .5 miles at HM Tempo.
M Tempo on my current plan is 14:11. HM Tempo is 13:37.

My M tempo ended up being 2.53 miles at 13:33 - this is faster than HM Tempo.
HM Tempo ended up being .5 miles at 13:02 - again too fast.

My pacing was clearly awful on this run. I wonder if it will end up being closer to new pacing with my Magic Mile? Either way, it shows that I still have a long way to go on recognizing my paces.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.48.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.48.48 PM.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
Shopping day!

My Ravenna tread is getting pretty worn down. I thought I would try out Adrenalines. They felt good in store and they are pretty similar to the Ravennas so I’m excited to try them out.

I followed up my trip to Fleet Feet with a 4 mile easy run (in my Ravennas - I’m trying to get a little more life out of them. They are only at 300 miles)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter