• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are included "extras" when buying direct from DVC?

BabyElephant

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are interested in buying into DVC and doing our due diligence before we make the jump. I've noticed some references to a few things that you get when buying directly through DVC vs a resale. I've seen that some incentives are offered at different times, but is there anything else? I've seen prices of resales being $10 per point below the direct price even after factoring in the fact that there may be incentives.

The other thing I've read is closing cost through DVC is $200 vs $500+ for a resale?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum!!

Hi, we are interested in buying into DVC and doing our due diligence before we make the jump. I've noticed some references to a few things that you get when buying directly through DVC vs a resale. I've seen that some incentives are offered at different times, but is there anything else? I've seen prices of resales being $10 per point below the direct price even after factoring in the fact that there may be incentives.

The other thing I've read is closing cost through DVC is $200 vs $500+ for a resale?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum!!

I got a nifty tote bag. :)

Seriously, the incentives change pretty regularly. Right now I think it's $10 off ppt at SSR and $8 off ppt at AKV OR a complement of developers points (a full 1:1 complement of "extra" points that you can use, within 7 months of your purchase, at any resort EXCEPT AKV).

Closing costs for new purchases without financing are around (just over, I think) $200....with financing it's around (just over, I think) $300. And I think they still waive closing costs for "add ons" for existing members.

The other nice benefit of going through DVC is that you don't have to sweat the ROFR (Right of First Refusal) process that accompanies resales.

By the same token, the resale process has lots to be said for it, too. You can more easily get the sold out resorts (buying through DVC you usually have to wait), prices are usually lower, etc, etc.

Thanks for the response! I really want that tote bag!!! :laughing: ;)
Looks like there's no obvious downsides to buying a resale if you do your homework.

Thanks for the response! I really want that tote bag!!! :laughing: ;)
Looks like there's no obvious downsides to buying a resale if you do your homework.

Yup, if you can find what you want via resale, it's probably the way to go. With SSR sticking with DVC might be smart just based on incentives, closing cost differences, etc....but it's at least close enough to make resale an attractive and doable option.

With AKV (which is what we wanted/bought) you're pretty much stuck with DVC as there isn't any points available on the resale market, obviously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter