What are the odds?

RevSuz

Earning My Ears
Does anyone think the odds are pretty good that Hilton Head or Vero Beach will open long before WDW? We have a reservation for HHI in August (and also a reservation at WDW for a few days prior to that reservation), and I'm thinking we'll be much more likely to be able to do the Hilton Head trip. Any thoughts?

I think it's reasonable to think that HHI will open before WDW, although perhaps at 50% guest capacity or so. August seems possible but a lot has to go right between now and then.

I wonder if Disney won’t open up DVC resorts before others, or even before the parks.
I agree with this. SSR, Kidani, OKW cost Disney nothing to open as DVC members pickup all the costs for those. The rest are where the issue is going to be. They are shared resorts with shared costs and I doubt that Disney wants to come out of pocket to allow DVC members to show up without any revenue to cover their portion.

Remember the thread about the "insider" saying that Disney would like to open the MK resorts first, but DVC was a major headache for their plans.

I agree with this. SSR, Kidani, OKW cost Disney nothing to open as DVC members pickup all the costs for those. The rest are where the issue is going to be. They are shared resorts with shared costs and I doubt that Disney wants to come out of pocket to allow DVC members to show up without any revenue to cover their portion.

Remember the thread about the "insider" saying that Disney would like to open the MK resorts first, but DVC was a major headache for their plans.
Don’t forget about RIV too.

Would BRV or BLT be included in those, by chance? Technically they are the own buildings...yes I have a reservation at both in August and am self-interested.;)

In my opinion I don't think that Disney can open select DVC resorts without opening them all. Especially since DVC dues pays for the operating costs of DVC's portion of the resort. I have not really thought about the excuse of Disney cannot afford to open say the BCV because they cannot afford their share of the shared expenses. Things like transportation, grounds keeping, shared area cleaning, security, etc. I don't know how far the shared expenses are at BLT go. I don't know that much about BRV do they share the lobby with Wilderness Lodge? I would guess if they do then the same would apply to them as with BCV, Poly, etc.

I do think that if Disney opens say the Grand Floridian they then have to open VGF, SSR, OKW, RIV, and Kidani.

I feel like WDW will be open in Aug. And after thinking about what Sandisw wrote I think that Disney will open the DVC resorts regardless of if they open the parks at the same time. The only thing that DVC owners are guaranteed is the room not the parks, restaurants, and shops.

Would BRV or BLT be included in those, by chance? Technically they are the own buildings...yes I have a reservation at both in August and am self-interested.;)
BLT might be the worst resort for social distancing as its rooms telescope towards interior hallways. Some like OKW, the SSR Treehouses, the CCV cabins lend themselves to it better than the ones with interior hallways.

In my opinion I don't think that Disney can open select DVC resorts without opening them all. Especially since DVC dues pays for the operating costs of DVC's portion of the resort. I have not really thought about the excuse of Disney cannot afford to open say the BCV because they cannot afford their share of the shared expenses. Things like transportation, grounds keeping, shared area cleaning, security, etc. I don't know how far the shared expenses are at BLT go. I don't know that much about BRV do they share the lobby with Wilderness Lodge? I would guess if they do then the same would apply to them as with BCV, Poly, etc.

I do think that if Disney opens say the Grand Floridian they then have to open VGF, SSR, OKW, RIV, and Kidani.

I feel like WDW will be open in Aug. And after thinking about what Sandisw wrote I think that Disney will open the DVC resorts regardless of if they open the parks at the same time. The only thing that DVC owners are guaranteed is the room not the parks, restaurants, and shops.

Part of the language under emergency powers mentions that a shut down should be as limited as possible to maintain health and safety. So, if the Florida governor and or local authorities relax guidelines in a way that at least the DVC resorts could open, it would seem they would want to do that to limit more loss of points.

It seems that the Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be closed through the end of August.

Google: California Governor States Mass Gatherings Unlikely Through August, Disneyland Summer Reopening in Jeopardy

Last edited:
I think it is possible that Vero Beach and Hilton Head do open before resorts at WDW. It is logical that there could be a staggered return to business in select areas of the country.

Gov DeSantis is considering reopened FL schools by May 1. He has also declared sports events essential, but they cannot have viewers present at the event. So they can broadcast on television.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter