What are we celebrating? Everthing! A January 2018 Trip Report - THE END - New TR link added

What a warm welcome you received! :sad1: Glad you managed to get something to eat, its such a shame she didn't tell you about their own restaurant, it keeps the business going.

Did Tony discover your ploy to keep warm while he got the luggage in and then had to go back out?

Just found your report! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I grew up in Louisville, so I know all about the fun that is the Louisville/Kentucky rivalry. Heck, I still catch the games when I can. (I live in Pittsburgh now)

And just like that - we have arrived.

When we last left off from our story, Tony and I were motoring down the Florida Turnpike (such a dull road) and we finally made it to the happy signs. Since it had been a while since our last trip, our GPS was guiding us towards the hotel. And then we finally saw the entrance with the oh so beautiful sign. And I wasn't ready to snap a picture. My phone was in "Google Maps" and there was no way I could get the phone, get the camera ready and get a good picture. So I do what any good person does. Blame the husband. Okay, I really didn't, but I was just so irritated with myself that I missed the sign opportunity. But then I remembered - we were in Disney. Happy face has returned!

Hotel 8.jpg

I'm actually not sure when that day this picture was taken, but it articulates my feelings at that point. Tony and I were both looking in every direction possible checking things out and just being excited to finally arrive at the hotel. It was the very last value resort at the end of the street. I did manage to get this picture (please excuse the halfway rolled down window - that was Tony's fault).

Hotel 9.jpg

It was about 2:00 at this point, and I had not yet received a text that our room was ready. So I pulled into the front of the resort and left Tony with the vehicle to go check us in. Prior to leaving, I had done on-line check in. My only room request was to have a ground floor room. Since we had a preferred room, the building really didn't matter since they were all relatively close to the main building. I went in the lobby and found the line for those that had done the on-line check in. There was only one other person in front of me, so the process went fairly quickly. We ended up being in the Toy Story building #10, room 753. It was on the first floor and very easy to access. We were offered the option to pass on daily "mouse keeping" and they would send us a gift card at the end of the trip. I passed on that - I would rather have things clean each day. After ensuring the magic bands would work and my debit card was linked to the account, I snagged my celebrating buttons and we were all wrapped up. The next task was to get our mobility scooters. For those who haven't read the PTR, Tony and I both rented scooters from Buena Vista Scooters. Between health issues and "fluffiness" there was no way in the world we would be able to do all the walking needed to be at Disney. So our scooters were waiting for us at the hotel when we arrived. Let me tell you my friends, this was the best thing for us. Our trip was a million times more enjoyable having the ability to get around without horrible pain and discomfort. We got the luggage assistance folks to unload the van and take the luggage to the room and Tony took the van to building #10 to park. I grabbed my scooter and followed the luggage dude to the room. It was a standard room with two double beds. Small, comfortable, clean (I checked for bed bugs) and exactly what we needed. I wasn't there for the room anyway.

Hotel 10.jpg Hotel 11.jpg

I loved the theming in the room, well the entire resort actually. It just amazes me how you feel like you stepped onto the movie set.

Hotel 12.jpg
Hotel 13.jpg

Our plans for the afternoon/evening were initially swimming and then dinner at Disney Springs. Did I mention it was cold? Yeah, there would be no swimming. The pools were closed! So after we got everything situated, we decided to head straight to Disney Springs for shopping and dinner. We went back up front and got Tony's scooter and rounded the corner to catch our first bus of the trip.

Up next - the "you are here maps" are not helpful.

I'm in!
I'm also 46, but I prefer Britpop to hair bands. I hope it's still okay if I join you.:D

Yes, of course - everyone is welcome. Glad to have you joining along!

What a warm welcome you received! :sad1: Glad you managed to get something to eat, its such a shame she didn't tell you about their own restaurant, it keeps the business going.

Did Tony discover your ploy to keep warm while he got the luggage in and then had to go back out?

Yes, I was disappointed in the front desk assistance. She could have easily said that they had an onsite restaurant, since I clearly had no clue.

I honestly married the most fabulous man in the world. If it bothers him to do the heavy lifting in the cold, I would never know it. He just goes with the flow and gets the job done. I'm a lucky girl.

:welcome: I'm glad you decided to join us!

I'm also along for your trip report!

:welcome: Thanks for reading along!

I like the detail in your writing style. Keep it coming. :)

Thanks so much! I enjoy writing this trip report.

Enjoying your TR - following along!

:welcome: Glad you're here!

Just found your report! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I grew up in Louisville, so I know all about the fun that is the Louisville/Kentucky rivalry. Heck, I still catch the games when I can. (I live in Pittsburgh now)

Oh the rivalry is ridiculous around here. People go crazy on game days. Glad you've joined for the fun.

Really enjoying your TR, looking forward to more!

Thanks so much - glad to have you here!

I had a few more resort pictures I wanted to show you before I moved forward with the next installment. We did not look around the entire resort (unfortunately) but what we did see what just so charming. I understand the lure of the moderate and deluxe resorts, but for me, I'm perfectly fine in a value. The money we save can go to more important things - like shopping!

Hotel 1.jpg
Hotel 2.jpg
Hotel 3.jpg
Hotel 4.jpg
Hotel 6.jpg

After it was done, I asked the clerk what places could deliver us some dinner and did they have any menus we could look at. The answer was a flat "no" and that "we should do an internet search".

What? Because I am tired, cold and cranky, so surely you are just being funny.

No, she was not kidding. They had no menus to offer and no recommendations to give me. Alrighty then.
That is so rude!

Guess who got to go back out in the cold? That would not be me!
What a great guy!

Our plan for this trip was to use Disney transportation for everything. With the ECV's, there was no way we would be able to load those into the van. And quite honestly, after all that driving to get there, I was more than happy to allow someone else to get us to our destinations. I have heard and read all the horror stories about crowded buses, long waits and just irritability all around. We had nothing but positive transportation experiences. I can honestly say that the longest we had to wait for any bus at any time would be 15 minutes. And I don't consider that very bad (other than when we were freezing, but I cannot blame the busses for that). One more thing about the busses - our resort did not share passengers with other resorts. All Star Movies had it's own designated spot at each park.

Tony and I rounded the corner and found the sign for "Disney Springs". I had not been there for many, many years. Not since it was "Downtown Disney". I was very excited to see all the stores (I had a shopping list). A bus rolled up and the driver loaded Tony and I first since we had the ECV's. This is where a little practice in maneuvering the scooters comes in handy. You drive up a short ramp and then immediately turn to get into the bus. And then parallel park into the spot for the scooters. And then do this in reverse to get off the bus. I did okay at this task. Nobody was injured and I didn't run over the bus drivers toes.

Once arriving at Springs, we followed the masses into the central shopping area. I was immediately disoriented. I had looked at the maps prior to going and thought I would be able to navigate with ease. Yeah, not so much. So we went to the "You Are Here" maps to try and figure out which way to go. I wanted to head in the direction of World of Disney, which you would think would be an easy task. There was actually a line to look at the map. When I finally got up to it, you had to press a button or some kind of silliness to activate it and then it only stayed active for a short period of time before it went dark or to an advertisement. It was frustrating to say the least. I did manage to figure out a general direction to go, so we headed that way. But first - a picture!

Disney springs 2.jpg

Yes the holiday decorations were still up. And yes, it was cold.

We found World of Disney after a bit of time. We kind of poked around looking at the window displays of the stores. Some of the stores I had never heard of before. Others were way out of my price range. We went into WOD and oh my gosh - that is an overwhelming store. It is very deceptive from the outside of how big it is. I just assumed it was like the Disney Store in the local mall. Nope. We immediately got out of the front part of the store to be away from the main registers and the snaking lines everywhere. The one good thing about WOD is that the signage is excellent. Once we got away from the initial mass of people, we managed to go into a better direction. I wish I had taken pictures of all the super cute stuff they had there. If I wanted to have a Minnie Mouse kitchen or Mickey Mouse bathroom, I would be all set. Our first order of business was to try and see if we could find hat and gloves for Tony. I sent him to the men's area to look while I began poking around looking at the purses. If you read my PTR, you know that I wanted to buy a Dooney purse, but couldn't justify the purse. I was hoping I would be able to find something there that I liked as much. So after a few minutes Tony came back and said that he couldn't find any hats and gloves.

Really honey? Cause it's pretty chilly out and I'm guessing they have something. Did you ask a cast member if they had anything in stock? No. Okay.

So together we went looking. Because men are just pitiful sometimes. And guess what? We were easily able to find a toboggan and matching gloves. Oh honey.

Still more looking commenced. There was just so much to see and if I had an endless supply of money, well things would be purchased. I did find a purse!!!

Disney springs 7.jpg

After leaving WOD, I immediately realized that we exited out a different door than we came in and I was looking at completely different things. I am the kind of person who needs directions like "turn right at Speedway" rather than "go north for 1 mile". So I once again went looking for the not very helpful you are here sign. Fortunately, I ended up not needing it because my next must do was already in my sight - Basin.

As you can see in the picture above, I picked out some scents that I liked. I was slightly disappointed that they did not have any liquid spray scents, but after using these for a few days, my disappointment was unnecessary. The scents stay with me all day long and I don't feel like I'm drowning in perfume. I really ended up liking the store and will probably buy more online now that I have scents I like.

At this point, the rest of the evening was browsing. We found our way to the Lego Store.

Disney springs 3.jpg
Disney springs 4.jpg
Disney springs 5.jpg
Disney springs 6.jpg

Even more impressive in person than the pictures show. We didn't go into the store. There were way to many screams of "buy me that" coming from children and that was just more than I could handle. At some point, Tony's sunglasses came up missing. Back to the you are here sign to find a sunglasses store. There were a couple, so off we went. The first store we found was a Sunglass Hut, so I assumed we would be able to find some reasonably priced sunglasses. That would be a hard no. I guess this Sunglass Hut was sponsored by Oakley, which meant everything was over the top expensive. When I asked the sales clerk if they had anything under $100, she almost laughed at me. We didn't buy anything there. She suggested we go back to World of Disney for less expensive sunglasses. That would have been a great idea if I had any idea where it was in comparison to where we were. I figured between the gift shop at the resort and the Emporium at Magic Kingdom, we would find something reasonably priced.

Up next - time for dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter