What are we celebrating? Everthing! A January 2018 Trip Report - THE END - New TR link added

I really need to get moving and grooving on this trip report. Time is ticking away for the next trip. Which has been edited since first reported (I know - shocking information). We added an extra day, but had to move down the street a bit to All-Star Sports. We didn't add a park day because we really wanted a relax by the pool/do more exploring kind of day. I need to adjust our FP and dining reservations. But before I do that, here is more of our last day at the Magic Kingdom.

When we last left off, we had spent some time in the 100 Acre Woods having our photo shoot with Pooh Bear and Tigger. Our next FP was for Haunted Mansion. When we got there and they scanned our magic bands, we were directed to park our ECV's and they would be able to slow down the moving sidewalk for an easier access. The cast member also suggested that we ride in separate doom buggies so that we would be more comfortable. They slowed down the sidewalk and Tony got on first. Then it was my turn, and the lap bar wouldn't click. I was pretty puzzled by this since I had spent the last several days riding rides with lap bars that are pretty similar. The really nice cast member suggested that I step off and get on a different doom buggy that offers a bit more room. I was pretty close to saying "no thank you" but decided that since Tony was already meeting his ghosts, I might as well try. After a minute or two, another doom buggy came upon us and I tried once again. The cast member said that he could not push the lap bar against me and I would have to pull it to click it in place. But once again, it would not click.

I was mortified.

The cast member was so nice and apologized. But I wasn't riding the ride. I was given two fast passes to use anytime later for any other ride and sent on my way. I got my ECV and found Tony who had no idea what had happened. I filled him in and began to cry again. It is hard enough being a very fluffy girl in a non-fluffy world. I did a ton of research and took every precaution so that we could avoid the rides that weren't fluffy friendly. I was just so disappointed that we had run into this. My guess is that if the cast member had been allowed to push the lap bar rather than me pulling, it would have clicked.

With the two fast passes in hand, I asked Tony what he wanted to ride. Remembering that Big Thunder Mountain was closed the other day, he asked if we could head that way. Sure, why not? So that's where we headed. I took a spot in the people watching section and sent him on his way. He used both fast passes and got to ride twice. He was a happy camper.

In keeping in the theme of Tony being a happy camper, it was now time for Tony to meet his most favorite Disney Princess - Ariel.

Ariel entrance.jpg

Even though we had a fast pass, we still waited in line for about 30 minutes. We got there and began to get seated. I expected Ariel to talk to us and I hoped she would pay special attention to Tony since this was his special request. After saying "hi" she said nothing else. I mean literally nothing. The photographer took a few snaps and then that was it. I was disappointed in the interaction. But for the best husband in the world, I smiled with the pretty, pretty princess.

Ariel.jpg

The rest of the afternoon was mostly spent in Tomorrowland. We did Monsters Laugh Floor and Carousel of Progress, walked thru some stores and had some popcorn. It was a nice and relaxing afternoon just enjoying time together at our last park day. We rounded back by the castle, and of course I needed just one more picture.
Castle.jpg

It's just so pretty.

We took a last walk down Main Street, USA. The day certainly did not go as planned, but the Disney part of our vacation had been practically perfect in every way (thanks Mary Poppins) and we still had more vacation ahead of us. I was so glad that we had an opportunity to do this trip and my heart was just full of love for Tony for helping make this happen.

Up next - dinner at the Grand Floridian!

Ruthie- you are absolutely guaranteed warm (HOT!!!) weather for this trip. No hoodies allowed!! How exciting to be there for the 4th!!

I am mentally preparing to be on the surface of the sun for a week! Plenty of light colored clothing, sunscreen, frozen washcloths and baby wipes. I am excited to be there on the 4th. It's our arrival day, but not a park day. I'm trying to have us be around the TTC for Magic Kingdom fireworks. Gotta tweak our dining reservations!

I'd thought I'd lost the link to your report, so glad it's going again. What a shame about the Haunted Mansion ride, glad the CM was understanding and tried to make your day a little brighter with the FP.

A trip in July will be hot. I have only been once in July and the heat just hit us every time we walked out the door.

Ruthie- Don't feel bad about the Haunted Mansion ride! Sometimes the lap bars click and sometimes not- so it may work next time! It depends on the cast member, too. If they take an extra moment, it may work out fine!

Surface of the sun! Yep- that's July and August in Orlando!

Hi, Ruthie. I just read your whole trip report (up to this point) in one sitting and have really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing! You and Tony seem like such a sweet, fun couple. It is obvious how much joy the trip brought you and it is making me excited for my own trip in July! I am glad that the weather warmed up at least a little, and that Tony got to ride BTMR. Too bad about TSM, but hopefully on your next trip! Looking forward to your next installment! :thumbsup2

When we last left off, Tony and I had ended our last park day at Magic Kingdom. After taking a last stroll down Main Street, USA, we left the park and headed to the right over to the monorail. Our plan was to ride long enough to pass all of the monorail resorts before getting off at our final destination of the Grand Floridian. Fortunately for us, the GF was the last stop on the loop. It was fun to see all of the deluxe resorts. Our budget will never allow us to stay at any of these hotels, so this was the best way to see them. It was getting dark, so by the time we got to the Grand Floridian, everything had the glow of twinkle lights and when we pulled up, I knew we had arrived at a fancy place!

GF1.jpg

We were intentionally early because I wanted to spend some time looking around the hotel and the grounds. As soon as we walked into the hotel I was immediately swept up in the theme of the place. I could just feel myself no longer in an abnormally cold day in Orlando and was in south Florida circa 1930 where time was slower and life was easy going. There was a photo pass photographer as soon as we walked in and I didn't even have to ask Tony to stop because he knew he was going to have to stop.

Grand Floridian 2.jpg

Grand Floridian.jpg

We then took off exploring. There were some stores on the floor we entered and - shockingly - Tony wanted to see what they had to offer. It was really nothing we had not seen already. While Tony was browsing I took a couple more pictures.

GF4.jpg

GF2.jpg

We went downstairs via the bird cage elevator (sorry, no pictures, I will do better next time) and checked in for dinner. Since we were still early we went outside to check things out. It was completely dark at that point and - of course - gotten colder, so our explorations didn't take us very far.

GF3.jpg

Our dinner that night was at the Grand Floridian Café. I wanted to end this part of our trip with a quiet, easy going dinner and this was a good place to go. Tony had "Shrimp and Grits - Jumbo Shrimp with Chorizo and Fennel served on top of Creamy Mascarpone Cheese Grits" and I got "New York Strip Steak - smashed roasted garlic and chive red bliss potatoes, broccolini, and house-made steak sauce". Both entree's were well cooked and filling. Our waiter made a dessert recommendation, and I think we made a good choice - Chocolate Fondue - with Fruit, Brownie Bites, and Campfire Marshmallows". Should have taken a picture. Trust me - it was delicious. After dinner we spent a few minutes listening to the live music in the lobby of the hotel and just enjoyed talking about how much fun we have had so far in our trip. It was a nice way to wrap up our park time. We hopped onto the monorail and went back to the busses and back to the hotel. I went to the front desk to take a look at our bill to make sure it was correct and it was. I also asked for a late check-out the next morning so we wouldn't be rushing around. We filled up our mugs and headed back to the room. I took some time to get things packed up and organized for easy loading the next morning.

Up next - checking out of the Disney bubble and moving onto the condo!

I'm sorry to read about your tears at Magic Kingdom. You've been very candid in your trip report about size challenges. I hope it helps someone else with their trip planning. :)

Thanks - I was hoping not to have to do the walk of shame, but it is what it is. I hope that my experiences can help someone else. Everyone should be able to enjoy their trip.

I'd thought I'd lost the link to your report, so glad it's going again. What a shame about the Haunted Mansion ride, glad the CM was understanding and tried to make your day a little brighter with the FP.

A trip in July will be hot. I have only been once in July and the heat just hit us every time we walked out the door.

The CM was so sweet and I wish I had gotten his name to send in a complimentary e-mail. Tony appreciated another chance to ride Thunder Mountain. I hate that you lost me! Even for the trip reports I'm following I don't always get notifications of updates. Glad you're back. We are ready for the heat. I think. Well, as ready as we can be. But since mother nature clearly hates us, there is no telling what the weather will be like.

Ruthie- Don't feel bad about the Haunted Mansion ride! Sometimes the lap bars click and sometimes not- so it may work next time! It depends on the cast member, too. If they take an extra moment, it may work out fine!

Surface of the sun! Yep- that's July and August in Orlando!

It was upsetting but a lesson learned. I did not get a FP for Haunted Mansion for our upcoming trip!

Hi, Ruthie. I just read your whole trip report (up to this point) in one sitting and have really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing! You and Tony seem like such a sweet, fun couple. It is obvious how much joy the trip brought you and it is making me excited for my own trip in July! I am glad that the weather warmed up at least a little, and that Tony got to ride BTMR. Too bad about TSM, but hopefully on your next trip! Looking forward to your next installment! :thumbsup2

Welcome to the party! I'm glad to have you along. The trip was such a great time despite the few bumps in the road. My next installment is up and ready!

Yum! The Grand Floridian Cafe sounds delicious. We definitely need to try that one day. I do love that resort, but we'll probably never stay there either. Hope to pop in to see the gingerbread display on our MK day in Dec, though.

The last day is always a little bittersweet, but sounds like you guys did it right! I'm glad that you still had more vacation to look forward to! :yay:

We've never been to GF cafe, but have an ADR there for our July trip and I'm looking forward to it! :flower1:

Your dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe sounds great! That's the only restaurant at the Grand we haven't tried yet. Their menu sounds yummy!!

Last day of vacation is always sad, but you are getting close to your July trip. You can start a PTR!

View attachment 319926

I wanted to go in and see the movie, but our timing was not good at all. We tried twice, just missing the start of the movie by about 10 minutes each time. But that's okay - just another thing to jot down for our 2019 trip. Yes, I already have a mental list of things I want us to do that we missed this trip. I have issues, I know. I knew that there was a really great photo pass spot and wanted to get in line. But I spied a group of gals drinking what looked like a smoothie. But in a champagne glass. I was intrigued, so I asked and they pointed me in the direction of the alcohol cart, telling me it was a liquored up orange slushie. They had me at liquor. Oh. My. Goodness. Stop what you're doing, drive to Orlando and purchase one of these drinks. I'm sure it has an official name, but I'm just going to call it a spiked orange slushie. And because it was so yummy, it joined us in the pictures.

View attachment 319931

I think that one is the Grand Marnier Slush. I remember having one (the last time we went) in 2013 and I remember it being AMAZING. But, I don't remember what color it was... I just remember is was THE.MOST.AMAZING.SLUSHIE.EVER!

I just found your TR and am now following along. At this point, you are not yet at Disney, but I can feel your enthusiasm and fun spirit in your posts. THis should be a great trip!

Also, we are probably going to stay at All Star Movies in November, so I'm looking forward to hearing that part, too.

Before I start the next installment, I must confess that I am a very bad DISBoards report writer in the following area - I took no food pictures. I know friends, you're probably thinking "what the heck Ruthie - we need comprehensive information!". A million apologies. It just seemed odd to me to take pictures of our meals. I did jot down notes of what we ate, and will do my best to use my internet searching abilities to find pictures of what we ate. Now, back to where we left off . . . finding our dining destination.

When we first made the reservations for this trip, we were well within the timeframes to make dining reservations. And if you read my PTR, the dining changed often. I was very excited though to get a reservation at Art Smith's Homecoming Restaurant. After we left the sunglasses store, we once again found a "you are here" map and was able to find the restaurant. At this point, the sun had gone down and it was COLD. We were a few minutes early, but went on ahead and checked in. The poor hostess was stationed outside. After checking in, she asked us if we wanted to sit inside or outside and that the outside had heaters.

Good heavens woman - my teeth are chattering - I'm going inside!

View attachment 299426

The place was packed, but there were seats in the front for people to wait, so that is what we did. I think we probably waited about 20 minutes before our table was ready. We had a four top table close to the bar. It was comfortable and we had more than enough room. Our waiter was named David (I only remember because that's my brother's name - this is not something I wrote down!) and he was very attentive to us without being obnoxious. I hate going to restaurants where the server is either on top of me every two minutes or a ghost. I got a diet coke and Tony an unsweet tea and we began to look at the menu. We had the dining plan which entitled us to one table service, one counter service and two snacks per person per day. I very much liked having the dining plan. Everything was paid for (except the tip) and it was just an easy process. David brought us our drinks and scanned my magic band to confirm we were on the dining plan. Now it was about 7:00 PM and neither Tony or I had eaten since the eggs that morning in Valdosta, so we were starving. Although it was not part of the dining plan, we wanted an appetizer.

Bee Haven Bay Fried Green Tomatoes - Shaved ham, remoulade sauce and dressed local greens.

View attachment 299427

They were so good. I do not eat ham, so I pushed that part aside, but the greens and the sauce on the tomatoes were delicious. Definitely worth having to pay extra for these. Our entree's were served just a few minutes after the empty appetizer plates were taken away.

I ordered "Art's Fabulous Fried Chicken - Chef Art Smith's signature dish! Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuit and love." No gravy on the taters and all white meat please.

View attachment 299428

The red sauce on the picture above was not on my plate (I'm not sure what that is). Again, delicious. The servings were huge and it was piping hot. I absolutely loved the cast iron skillet that the taters were served in.

Tony ordered "Fried Catfish accompanied by hushpuppies, grits and a side of remoulade."

View attachment 299429

Again, no red stuff on his plate (seriously, what is that?) but everything else is accurate. I ate a bite of his fish and it was also so good. The fish was flaky and even though the batter was thick, it was cooked thru.

Neither one of us could finish our dinner. There was just so much food. Had I been paying attention to other tables and the sizes of their meals, we would have passed on the appetizer. But those tomatoes were really good too! David could clearly see that dessert would need to be boxed up to go.

I got "Hamilton County Chocolate Pecan Pie a 100-year-old traditional Smith Family Farm recipe, served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream." Since it was to-go, I opted to not have the ice cream.

View attachment 299430

This was good, but very rich. The ice cream would have been a nice addition, but there was no way in the world I would have been able to eat another bite at that point.

Tony got "Shine Cake Chef Art's signature dessert. An adult-only butter cake soaked with moonshine syrup, served with seasonal fruit gastrique and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream." Again, we passed on the ice cream. Tony really liked this. I did not. I've tasted moonshine before and it is not a flavor that I enjoy. When they say it was soaked, they mean it.

View attachment 299431

After we settled the bill, we gathered everything up and waddled out of the restaurant. Still cold and we had to figure out where the busses might be. I'm really not this challenged when it comes to directions, but I was definitely driving the struggle bus on this day. But before we left, I wanted to get up close with one more thing.

View attachment 299433

The Characters in Flight balloon was all lit up, but due to the winds, not operating that evening. I know that Tony really wanted to get up in it, but luckily for me, we couldn't do it. I am very, very, very afraid of heights. Remember these words for later in the trip. After checking out the balloon, we managed to find our way to the busses. I was done with the less than helpful maps. At this point, I just asked someone for directions. We waited probably 10 minutes for a bus and thankfully the heat was chugging nicely. Coming out of Disney Springs took a while because the traffic was pretty congested. But I wasn't driving, so I just enjoyed the ride. We got back to the resort and we immediately went back to the room. Our desserts got put into the refrigerator and we were snuggled down in bed shortly after that. It was really a perfect first day (other than the weather of course) and I was just over the top excited to be in Disney with Tony. Tomorrow was our first park day - Magic Kingdom.

Up next - honey why is this map in Japanese?

[Yum. this post is making me want to make a reservation for Homecoming on my next trip. We've eaten there once before and it really was delicious. The restaurant staff were absolutely great, too, which is notable since it was our arrival day, 100 plus degrees out, and we had a bulky stroller and a cranky toddler with us. Like you, I wasn't really into the moonshine cake when I tried it. The pie you had looks much better.

Beauty and the Beast was fantastic. I sang loud and proud. And yes, I'm feeling much better!

TSM being down was a huge bummer. I have never ridden it and had kind of been carrying on about how I was going to beat Tony and make him cry. Next time!

Cold. Yes, it was cold every day so far. Mother nature hates us.

That is a bummer that TSM was down. It's a fun attraction.

I have not been to the Beauty & the Beast show yet, but hope to next time. Belle is one of my favorite princesses!

We were in Florida in Jan 2018 also (at Universal) a few weeks after you, and, yes, it was unseasonably cold.

Another lull in the trip reporting, as I got sick. Again. This time - kidney stones. OMG. I've had them once before and it was so ridiculously awful. Two Friday's ago, I left work like normal, got my nails done and had dinner with Tony, and went to bed with no problem. About 2:00 AM, I woke up with a pain in my back like someone was stabbing me. I took some Aleve and just tried to find a somewhat comfortable spot until Tony woke up. By 7:00 AM, I couldn't take it any more and woke up Sleeping Beauty and we headed over to the ER. Even though the kidney stones were confirmed, thankfully I did not have any infection. So I got some pain medication and other meds to help "pass the stone" and I went home. Where I stayed for the next week. The stone passed, but this round came with some pretty bad nausea and associated yuckiness. I finally returned to work today and am getting caught up on 300+ e-mails and of course, my neglected trip report. I need to sort thru my Animal Kingdom pictures and get the narrative going. An update will be posted today. In the meantime, some replies!

I have never been a zoo person. I'm really not an animal person. We don't even have any pets and when Tony comments about wanting a dog I'm all "NONONONONONO". But I really enjoyed AK.

So sorry to hear about your kidney stones. That sounds miserable :sad1:

I love AK and the safari, so I'm with your DH Tony on this one. I hope you all had a great time.

Yes, finally. It's been a rough time.

The drinks were so good. And yes, they warmed our tummies! AK was amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!