What are you using for car rentals?

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
Hey all. I checked the transportation board for my month (July) but the Americans are all taking teensy little 3-5 day vacations (not worth getting on a plane for that IMO). We will be there for 2 weeks starting Jul 29. I figure the rates should be dropping by now but the best we're getting is around $450 US for an intermediate or standard.

I've found Costco is rarely competative these days - at least out of MCO. We book a few times per year, always out of MCO, and lately I usually find a better price on Expedia.ca. For our two weeks this August, Costco's best price (even 3 months back) is $500 USD for a midsize. Factor in the exchange and you're at almost $700 CDN. And these prices won't change with Costco. While I like booking with them (I have a car booked through Costco for a fall trip to Halifax), their rates aren't what they used to be. Good luck!

Thanks. Right now Costco is the best of the "widely available" rates, much better than trying it out with just my CAA discount for Dollar and hte like, but we still have a better rate by calling and asking for a corp rate from Avis, and dh also got something with PRiceline months ago (~450 US vs. ~550-600 US). I'll give expedia a look, and keep making my rounds to see what changes.

I also found Costco to be the cheapest right now.

I always book with Costco.ca. I like Alamo. In Florida there are loads of toll roads, and the so called budget/low cost rental companies charge an arm and a leg if you use their toll option. You can go online to compare the charges by each company. Beware of Budget toll policy. If you use their transponder once you are charged the daily service fee for the length of rental. Alamo only charges service fee for the day of use.

I have a 12 day mid size rental in August with Alamo (Costco) for $356 so far. I pick up in Ft Lauderdale and return to Disney Car Care Centre. My pick up is mid Aug so I expect prices to go down further, usually the last 4 weeks prices start to drop more. I check freq. and cancel & rebook.

Last edited:
I always book with Costco.ca. I like Alamo. In Florida there are loads of toll roads, and the so called budget/low cost rental companies charge an arm and a leg if you use their toll option. You can go online to compare the charges by each company. Beware of Budget toll policy. If you use their transponder once you are charged the daily service fee for the length of rental. Alamo only charges service fee for the day of use.

I have a 12 day mid size rental in August with Alamo (Costco) for $356 so far. I pick up in Ft Lauderdale and return to Disney Car Care Centre. My pick up is mid Aug so I expect prices to go down further, usually the last 4 weeks prices start to drop more. I check freq. and cancel & rebook.
That's a great rate, Sue, better than I am seeing. We are picking up on July 29, but keeping it through Aug 12. So looks like I'll be coming home just as you're arriving.

That's a great rate, Sue, better than I am seeing. We are picking up on July 29, but keeping it through Aug 12. So looks like I'll be coming home just as you're arriving.
Where are you vacationing in Tampa? We love St Pete Beach. Are you going to Busch?

I've found Costco is rarely competative these days - at least out of MCO. We book a few times per year, always out of MCO, and lately I usually find a better price on Expedia.ca. For our two weeks this August, Costco's best price (even 3 months back) is $500 USD for a midsize. Factor in the exchange and you're at almost $700 CDN. And these prices won't change with Costco. While I like booking with them (I have a car booked through Costco for a fall trip to Halifax), their rates aren't what they used to be. Good luck!
I find Costco prices change all the time?

We used to book with Budget but found the price always changed. What we booked and the final bill never matched. Might only be by a few dollars but it was never the same. We ended up trying Alamo and have used them ever since. The price is what we booked, we have had great luck and selection as well and the big plus is the online check in and eliminating the rental counter and going directly to the cars. Depending on how much you want to drive you can look around too. Our next trip is in August and we fly in and out of FLL and drive to MCO. We booked Alamo through Costco, full size car, second week of August, $227 total.

We used to book with Budget but found the price always changed. What we booked and the final bill never matched. Might only be by a few dollars but it was never the same. We ended up trying Alamo and have used them ever since. The price is what we booked, we have had great luck and selection as well and the big plus is the online check in and eliminating the rental counter and going directly to the cars. Depending on how much you want to drive you can look around too. Our next trip is in August and we fly in and out of FLL and drive to MCO. We booked Alamo through Costco, full size car, second week of August, $227 total.
For how many days? We also fly into FLL (Alamo) and return to Disney Car Care Company. Have 12 days booked, mid size for $356, Full size is $411. Also mid Aug. picking up on 15th. I am expecting prices to drop further between now & then. I’m checking frequently.

For how many days? We also fly into FLL (Alamo) and return to Disney Car Care Company. Have 12 days booked, mid size for $356, Full size is $411. Also mid Aug. picking up on 15th. I am expecting prices to drop further between now & then. I’m checking frequently.
We booked August 7-14. Also noticed there was a price drop of a bit less than 20 dollars. I tried calling but found out it won't allow the change on that promo code. If it was 50 dollars I'd probably raise a stink but not for 20 dollars.

We booked August 7-14. Also noticed there was a price drop of a bit less than 20 dollars. I tried calling but found out it won't allow the change on that promo code. If it was 50 dollars I'd probably raise a stink but not for 20 dollars.
I book online on Costco site. There was another drop yesterday so I rebooked and cancelled other one. Not a big drop. Now $345

I book online on Costco site. There was another drop yesterday so I rebooked and cancelled other one. Not a big drop. Now $345
I checked again and it's just a 15 dollar drop. If I see something significant I'll cancel and rebook but that price for a week is good enough for me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!