What are your biggest splurges?

kathy884

DIS Veteran
On this board we hear so much about how frugal everyone is, the deals everyone gets, how careful everyone is with their spending, etc.

For a change of pace, though, what are your biggest splurges -- you know what I mean -- things you could do without, but don't, items that seem really high budget wise compared to the rest of your budget, and is a much higher spending category for you than other people you know. Maybe it's a Disney trip every year.

For me the two things that come to mind are
(1) Broadway show tickets: On a recent trip to New Jersey to visit my mother in law, we treated ourselves afterward to two nights in NYC including three tickets to see "Hamilton" ($200 pp), a great seat for my son to see "Wicked" (about $120), and three great seats to see "Come From Away" (about $120 pp) // So about $1100 for an absolutely amazing and inspiring theatre splurge. Our next visit to see my mother-in-law will be December of 2018 and we enjoyed this so much, so I'm budgeting to do this again.

(2) Personal Training for my 21 year old son -- He had a knee injury with frayed / destroyed cartilage and after two surgeries and physical therapy walked with a limp. It took a year and a 1/2 of personal training (two hours a week), but he no longer walks with a limp, is super strong, and can even run a little if he needs to (not something he should do regularly). Strength in other areas can help compensate for weakness in others. I think the training too, being physically fit, has helped him emotionally deal with loss of athletic ability -- he was on the tennis team before the injury, but has been told he shouldn't play tennis or do any regular high impact sports with his knee. What he does needs to be low impact. // I should probably for budgetary reasons cut back on this and have him just work out on his own, but I don't think he would actually do this. Both he and I both think working out on your own is so boring. I know I need competitive sports, so I don't even realize I'm exercising or someone like a personal trainer to entertain me to keep up with stuff. And he's the same way. // Right now I can afford it and am happy to do it and am still meeting my other savings/giving goals. But it is a pretty big chunk of my budget that stands out as one to definitely look at if I want to cut back on my spending or need money for something else regularly. My husband kicks in for a little of it too. // It keeps our vacations shorter and in the US. It means we drive our cars for 10 years before getting another, etc. (I don't have any problem whatsoever with any of these things though) and feel blessed that I have the means to pay for these splurges.

I recently purchased a new watch (Rolex Daytona). It was very expensive but a reward for myself for a promotion I received at work. Another splurge was a new motor for my boat.

I once bought post season baseball tickets off stub hub. I also bought tickets to a cavaliers game. These were very rare occurrences. I'm planning to buy tickets to Beatles Love in Vegas next May and School of Rock at the theater near us. So I guess those are splurges for us.

I also consider pedicures to be a splurge.

My pets and my trips to WDW. And going to a spa to get my hair cut and color. The costs of my dogs I can only manage so far, as I'm not going to feed them grocery store crap food. My trips to WDW I can budget pretty tightly. But my hair, that is my one true splurge. Huge difference between the spa and the hair place on the corner.

Our budget is small, so our normal splurges are small compared to most. (We get freshly roasted coffee beans, buy brand name for some items, buy prestige makeup instead of drugstore, etc.). Our more memorable or rare splurges would be buying a great mattress & quality furniture, trips to Disney, and my personal favorite - buying tickets once for the Stanley Cup Finals!

Our budget is small, so our normal splurges are small compared to most. (We get freshly roasted coffee beans, buy brand name for some items, buy prestige makeup instead of drugstore, etc.). Our more memorable or rare splurges would be buying a great mattress & quality furniture, trips to Disney, and my personal favorite - buying tickets once for the Stanley Cup Finals!

I love that your favorite is tickets to the Final. Whenever the Wings were in, I always thought I would like to splurge and go (I live outside of Boston, so it would have required flights/hotel/rental car) but never did. Maybe if they ever get good again, I will do it.

I love that your favorite is tickets to the Final. Whenever the Wings were in, I always thought I would like to splurge and go (I live outside of Boston, so it would have required flights/hotel/rental car) but never did. Maybe if they ever get good again, I will do it.

The tickets did cost a lot, but it was an amazing experience that I'll never forget. With as many cups as the Wings have won & the hardcore fans, they won't be in a drought forever, so I would absolutely suggest doing a trip when the tide turns! I have a love/hate relationship with the Yzerman/Fedorov/Osgood/Bowman era in particular. So talented, but the kept beating out my team until '99.

Taking 2 WDW trips a year and an Adventures By Disney trip in the same year as well as a kitchen remodel. Painful year but awesome time and memories.

Now I stick to 2 vacations a year - but traveling for sure is my biggest splurge...Aside from that... Louis Vuitton purses...

Seahawks and Mariners season tickets. Love me some Seattle sports even more than Disney.

We had M's season tickets when I was growing up, which was my dad's splurge back in the 90's. I love going to games. I'm not a big enough Seahawks fan to want to splurge on their tickets to stand the whole game :) At least that's what it looks like people do when I watch on tv. I can see better on tv.

Splurge for me would be the quart of baskin n robins chocolate ice cream I bought when I could have spent less for more at the store. But their's is so good and I don't do it often.

I just bought myself an Apple Watch yesterday that I was debating on getting for over a year.

In everyday life, I will splurge on concert tickets without a second thought. I also splurge on my dog. She needs special food and I am 'that dog mom' who insists on buying her clothes and accessories and lots of toys and bones when I see something cute.

Vacation has always been a chunk of my budget, a much higher % than it should be...but I bought a new car yesterday Jeep Grand Cherokee $45K:crazy2:My last new car was a 2009 VW Jetta $18K, I'm keeping the Jetta for running around town and to work and will just be using the Jeep to go back and forth to my other DD's every other weekend, 4 hours away. It about makes me sick to think of that kind of money but the safety features makes it worth it. Plus I bought a hot tub today, it's something I have wanted for a long time and the stars just lined up right so I pulled the trigger and it will be installed Wednesday (if the electrician doesn't let me down). So far this weekend I have spent $57K which feels pretty splurgey, definitely out of character for me :tilt:.

I use H2O Plus shampoo and conditioner. I love how it makes my hair look. It costs about 5x what I used to spend on shampoo and conditioner, but I don't care.

I splurge on groceries. I buy high quality stuff. I won't skimp on food. We probably spend $1500/month on just food.

We buy "top shelf" liquor as well.

We basically cut corners on everything else in life (clothes, cars, furniture, etc).

Although, DH needed a new car recently and we went with the top of the line model...of the Honda Civic Hatchback ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter