What are your plans for Father's Day?

4forMe

DIS Veteran
We host an annual barbecue and have around 25-30 people at our home for Father's Day. This year, our area may set record high temps. The current forecast for Father's Day is 95 degrees with a heat index of 108 degrees. I am going to try to convince DH to forget grilling and just do fried chicken and sub sandwiches. We always have a ton of salads, side dishes and desserts as well. The young adults will be in the pool, but I'm anticipating the majority of the family will sit inside due to the heat.

What are your plans for Father's Day?

Subs and fried chicken sounds great!

We are hosting a family dinner for DH's father on Saturday evening at our house. There will be 13 to 19 of us. It just depends on who shows up. :rolleyes:

On Sunday, it is all about DH:
  • Homemade french toast and crispy bacon for breakfast
  • Laying around, being lazy in the AM
  • A late lunch at a local brazilian steakhouse
  • Incredibles 2 in the afternoon
  • PC gaming for the remainder of the evening
I bought him a new drill set with extra bits and an old school pachinko machine from the 70's. He already found the pachinko machine in the garage and was super excited, so that is a bummer but hopefully he will like the new drill. He loves gadgets and power tools.

It’s supposed to be in the 90’s on Sunday so instead of a bbq I suggested to DH we get fried chicken and make Mac n cheese and a pasta salad. He is thinking about it. There will be 6 of us at my house.

DH and I have both lost our fathers so it's all about DH. Our DD just graduated college and moved to a new city. She's not coming home so I think it's on me to plan.

I like the Incredibles idea. DH loves animated movies so I just texted DS to see if he's working Sunday. We'll probably be lazy in the morning with some Bloody Marys, Maybe go out for beer and burgers in the afternoon, and then see The Incredibles.

We just come back from vacation and construction is about to start on our new patio (his gift) so Sunday will probably be low key. It's been a while since we had a lazy weekend.

For my dad (after we pass custody on Sunday) My mom and I are cooking a super southern meal Sunday evening my dad and husband...fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, fried okra (no, we never eat like this, but on Father's Day and a couple of joint birthdays, I recognize this sounds terrible), southern potatoes, biscuits, gravy, quick pickle cucumbers and fresh tomatoes we're hoping are in at the farmer's market. We're all going out to Ruth Chris next Saturday to celebrate them both in a more adult way.

This is the first time I'm with a partner to celebrate Father's Day. Got the cards, getting all the stuff for a smoked salmon type breakfast spread for that morning and of course, bloody mary's (not for the kids though). Then he wants a simple pool day with his children, so that's done. It's our weekend anyway with the kids, so we've got plans for Saturday that are fun and I'm cooking a big Morroccan feast for us all as soon as we get the kids on Friday. It's kinda an all weekend celebration of Daddy.

I'm really, really terribly excited for this Father's Day. My DH is a great dad; his children are a boon to my life in a way I could have never known, and I'm a little sentimental about this first Father's Day. Now I think there's something in my eye as I think about it again.

ETA: Also sorry to hear of those that this, or any holiday, hurts.

Last edited:

I am sorry to those of you who are hurting on this day. <3

My parents will be visiting, so we are going into the city (Chicago) to take an architectural river cruise.

Subs and fried chicken sounds great!

We are hosting a family dinner for DH's father on Saturday evening at our house. There will be 13 to 19 of us. It just depends on who shows up. :rolleyes:

On Sunday, it is all about DH:
  • Homemade french toast and crispy bacon for breakfast
  • Laying around, being lazy in the AM
  • A late lunch at a local brazilian steakhouse
  • Incredibles 2 in the afternoon
  • PC gaming for the remainder of the evening
I bought him a new drill set with extra bits and an old school pachinko machine from the 70's. He already found the pachinko machine in the garage and was super excited, so that is a bummer but hopefully he will like the new drill. He loves gadgets and power tools.
I think this day & the gifts sound awesome, enjoy!

I will be busy being both mother and father to my kids to cover for their lousy, deadbeat father. I haven't decided what we are going to do yet. Father's Day pretty much sucks and I'm trying not to think about it too hard. Maybe we'll go swimming at a family member's house.

I will be busy being both mother and father to my kids to cover for their lousy, deadbeat father. I haven't decided what we are going to do yet. Father's Day pretty much sucks and I'm trying not to think about it too hard. Maybe we'll go swimming at a family member's house.

I'm sorry. That's got to be really hard. :hug:

I'm sorry. That's got to be really hard. :hug:
Aww, thanks :) I needed that hug, I'm not in a good place right now. I always get a little depressed around my birthday. Sorry to be such a bummer, I'm going to put my kiddo to bed now.

Watch World Cup in the morning.

Go to a Ribfest for lunch, then an exotic car show.

DH is pretty happy with this

I will be going to my brothers house along with my sister, my parents and all our spouses and kids.

My daughter will see her dad the day before but under protest. She can’t wait for the day she turns 18 and doesn’t have to follow the custody agreement...not like he does but that’s a story for a judge.

Probably nothing unless MIL calls. If she does will hang out with her. I have cards and a gift for DH, and a card for my dad. The best gift I can give my DH is to let him sleep in and keep the kids away from him!

We don't make too big of a deal out of Mothe's Day or Father's Day.
For Mother's Day we had immediate family for a "snack night" and my sisters and I took my mom to lunch a couple weeks later. Its too nuts to go out on Mother's Day.
For Father's Day we tend to do even less because my dad doesn't like to make a big deal out of it.
We give him gifts that he has hinted about wanting. Other than that he rather just enjoy the day by taking a ride in his car with my mom and getting a milkshake.
This year my sister and I are actually getting our hair done in the morning/early afternoon which surprised us that when was asked our stylist when she would be free in the next couple weeks she said this Sunday would work great. She has a husband and kids so we figured Father's Day would have been a no go.

I plan to graciously accept the phone calls of whichever of my children choose to call.
Were I a betting woman I'd say 50% but I'm not therefore am not deeply vested in the day;).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!