What are your thoughts on the new DVC guidebook?

Rate the new DVC guidebook:

Results are only viewable after voting.
I believe the cost of the guidebook is a cost that is covered by our dues. If it was actually a huge difference in cost I doubt they would have changed the system.

The one thing I noticed, or maybe I cannot just find it in the new guidebook, is that there is no mention of pool hopping. If I recall correctly, the only document that actually stated in writing that you could pool hop was the old guidebook.

I actually like the new guidebook *alot* more than the old binder. I too was not very good about adding/removing the pages and consequently had alot of info to wade thru to answer the simplest of questions. My laziness certainly isn't DVC's fault, but I guess I just find the new guidebook to be much more convenient. I even took it with me to my son's speech therapy appointment so I could read while I was waiting - something I never would have done with the old binder.

Something to consider - much of the information in the guidebook is 'old news' to us diehard DIS DVCers. Banking, borrowing, use years, holding accounts etc. are terms we're all familiar with, often times, so familiar that others come here to the DIS to ask questions. For anyone just starting out, or even for those of us who need to review, the information is given in a much more 'user-friendly' way. It's alot easier to understand and seems to flow much smoother than the way the info was presented in the binder.

Just my opinion, of course, but I gave it a 10. It's better than what I expected it to be - and ya gotta love those pictures. ;) FYI - on the back cover (behind the planner sheets and calendar) is a list of photo credits.

DRUSBA; I always find it easier to spend other peoples money, rather than my own. So, I wouldn't conclude that they were being sensative to costs in making their decision to change the format, as we are paying for that decision anyway. Good obervation on pool hopping though !!! I wonder if we can read anything in to that....

I agree with you, Jenny, and I think there is a method to their madness. Providing more "DIS-like" information relative to banking, borrowing, etc. cuts down on the "informational" calls to MS.

Drusba, interesting note on the conspicuous absence of pool hopping. I noticed the same about member - member transfers.

I like it. Gave it a 9.

I work in the printing industry and I agree with Doc 100%. It is more expensive to manufacture and print future binders and tab pages for the new members plus the insert pages for all of the members than it is to print a large run of perfect bound books (like the new ones). I am sure Disney gets a HUGE volume discount on their printing with all of the materials they have printed each year.

the inserts were about the same as a new guide book, but I think the binder was better anyway. I also gave the poll a 6 because I wanted to see more color pics of the rooms and resorts to remind me what I own

received ours yesterday. Had a brief chance to thumb through it last evening. I like it, but I must admit I like the "binder" better. I've kept it up to date, and I loved the tabs and the fact it can be laid flat on a desk surface. I'll confess that I'm also a DVC trip dreamer..and I often take the book off the shelf and begin planning future vacations.

The color pictures are cute, but would have liked more pictures of the resorts, rooms etc.

Point charts are through 2003, so I assume they are going to be publishing again next year?

I liked the pull out calendar in the back of the book. That will be great for planning!

I gave it an 8. If it starts to pull apart from all the use and abuse I will heap upon it over the next year, I'll just punch the pages and put it back in the binder! Sort of best of both worlds!

In my opinion, the new book is OK. It is bright and colorful, easy to read. I far preferred the ringed binder. It was far more durable and I, too, liked the tabbed pages and the way it would lay flat on the table. Guess I'll have to get used to the new one--don't have any other choice.

I thought the new book was nice, however, I didn't see anything new in there, that isn't on the web page. I'd much rather they updated the web page, and allowed us to see our point balances on there.

I guess there are still members out there that are not on-line though, so the book is necessary.

I give it a 7. I like the area where it tells more about the different activities available and what is in the area. I miss the tabbed sections (color coding doesn't work for me, I forget what each color means, just like in trivia pursuit). I am sorry to hear that bindings are already letting loose. I had planned on having mine 3 hole punched and putting it into the binder, now I have all the more reason to get myself over to the print shop with it. Some of the pictures are great, esp. the one of Hilton Head, it made me anxious to book a trip there.

In general, I like it. I will miss the flexibility and durability of the binder, but there is lots of new and interesting information in the new guidebook. I also think I like the organization of the point charts (all in one place). I think that the frequently asked questions sections seem a little more detailed than before. I do, however, miss the pictures of more of the Member's Getaway sites. I gave it a 7.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter