What can I expect?

disneyophile

Mouseketeer
I have just booked a cat. 6 cabin for the Magic on March 2005 thru the DCL website for myself, my hubby, and our 8yo son. What chance do we have for an upgrade? How is it decided who gets an upgrade? We have been assigned a cabin number.

What information doesn't the brochure include that you discovered and I would find helpful? Any tips?
:confused:

We are so excited. This is our 2nd cruise, the 1st with DCL.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Welcome to the Dis boards disneyophile.

What information doesn't the brochure include that you discovered

We discovered that penguins can shoot their poop up to 6-feet out their tush...

and I would find helpful? Any tips?

There is so much information available I doubt anyone will be able to respond to such a general question. Read some of the trip reports on the DCL trip reports board. It's a good place to start...

Welcome to the DIS!!

I've been on one DCL cruise, and I loved it! We're going again this Feb 14-this time on the Magic!

Your cat 6 cabin has a verandah, right? Very cool! As far as upgrades go, it depends on alot of variables-is the sailing sold out, is there a "need" for cat 6 cabins--these variables mostly depend on the time of year you're sailing. Upgrades are more likely during the off season, when the ship isn't sold out.

There are alot of tips you can get from these boards and from other Web sites. Here are two links that will help

http://www.castawayclub.com/

and

http://www.dcltribute.com/

Also, since you made your reservation yourself, you might consider checking out an online travel agency and see if you can save some money by transferring your reservation from DCL to a travel agency. There is Dreams Unlimited, the sponsor of these boards. Alot of DIS'ers use them with great success.

I am using All Seasons Travel-great prices and service!
Here is their link
http://www.allseastravel.com/

There is also a thread called "All the best tips in one place-summarized" Do a search at the bottom of the Cruise Line Forum page and you'll find it!

Anything else, just post and alot of people will be very helpful!!

Again, Welcome to the best forum on earth!!

Ursula

Hi disneyophile..........
When in March? We are going March 12, 2005...
Just a suggestion. Look at the price DCL charged you and that which is offered by Allseas. All of their prices were $50 cheaper than DCL direct when I booked last week PLUS you get $100 onboard credit. $150 in your pocket is much better in your pocket than DCL's :)
You can switch your reservation OR just make a new one if the onboard credit won't be able to be used on a switched reservation. You could call them though and they will be able to tell you for sure.

Cheers,
Grumbo

You've already booked a veranda. Where else would you like to be upgraded to (besides the Walt Disney Suite and wouldn't we all:rolleyes: ). Most upgrades that are mentioned here seem to be from a cat 11 to a cat 8 (sometimes a 6).

If you really, really, really want and upgrade, I would suggest paying for it because it's not likely that you (or anyone else) are going to get one. There are over 800 rooms on the ship and even if 20 rooms get upgraded that's only about 2% of the rooms.

My boyfriend and I were really lucky. We paid $345 a piece for an inside stateroom, and when we received our documents, we found out that we had been upgraded to a Navigator's Verandah room at no extra charge!

We booked through Cruises Only, and they had told us on the phone there was a possibility that we would be upgraded, since the inside staterooms sell out quickly. We were very, very pleased. We have a room by the children's area, which we heard was really nice because it was on the far end, away from the noise of kids and guests. :hyper:

Originally posted by disneyophile
I have just booked a cat. 6 cabin for the Magic on March 2005 thru the DCL website for myself, my hubby, and our 8yo son. What chance do we have for an upgrade? How is it decided who gets an upgrade? We have been assigned a cabin number.

What information doesn't the brochure include that you discovered and I would find helpful? Any tips?
:confused:

We are so excited. This is our 2nd cruise, the 1st with DCL.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

As much as I love and support Disney, I agree with the comment about checking for a better price through a travel agent. We used All Seasons Travel ("allseastravel.com") for the cruise we just took on the Wonder and have already booked a Magic cruise for next May. Disney couldn't come close price-wise on either cruise and I am extremely happy with Chuck and his staff at Allseas. Give them a call, it could save you a lot of money.

As to the upgrade, one of my daughter's close friends was recently upgraded from a 6 to a 4. I don't think that is very common, as least not nearly as common as the category 11 upgrades to an 8 or 9. The very interesting part was that neither this girl nor her mom thought the room was much different -- I think it is three more feet in length, but as far as the big picture they didn't even think that it was that much of a difference, so they decided that they would never book a 4 unless they needed to sleep an extra person. Just enjoy that category 6 (hopefully you have selected a prime location this far in advance!) on a wonderful cruise! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter