What CAN'T be charged to magic band?

Some Disney Springs stores have some complications. In theory you can charge with a MB to the non-Disney stores. But when we went to Alex and Ani, they didn't have the machine hooked up, so had to get that set up. Then it was delaying connecting to the system. We did chat with the salesgirl a bit but I think after about 10 min (we lost track of time and just kept thinking, a few more seconds, a few more seconds) we finally gave up and just payed with credit.

What about pre-ordering QS meals via MDE app?

I'm not entirely sure how it works now but I know when we pre-ordered breakfast at BOG a couple of years ago, you don't actually pay until you get there and confirm your order. Then we just used our MB to pay. They've added more pre-pay places since then so I don't know if it works the same way or not.

You can't use the magic band to tip at the Harmony Barber Shop, which makes no sense since we could charge the haircut. fortunately we were able to stop back with cash when we came back after our nap.

I'm not entirely sure how it works now but I know when we pre-ordered breakfast at BOG a couple of years ago, you don't actually pay until you get there and confirm your order. Then we just used our MB to pay. They've added more pre-pay places since then so I don't know if it works the same way or not.
Pre-ordering for BoG is totally different from the mobile ordering available at quick service locations using the MDE mobile app.

Not to hijack but...can you use gift cards to pay off your room charges at the resort desk? I figured since it's a somewhat related question I'd jump in.

Not to hijack but...can you use gift cards to pay off your room charges at the resort desk? I figured since it's a somewhat related question I'd jump in.
Yes you can. At a certain threshold the resort will charge your credit card, so you'll want to stay ahead of that.

It sounds like perhaps you're asking slightly the wrong question.

If you ultimately plan to pay with gift cards, then you may be better off skipping the Magicbands.

Having done our charges both ways, we now prefer to put all our WDW charges directly to the giftcards. Suffice it to say, we've found there are less errors when we do it that way.

The other tip I have is bring a mini-sharpie with you. Do not discard used up giftcards (until after your trip) because if you have to get something refunded - it goes back on that card. If I partly use a gfitcard, then I A.) fold the most recent receipt around it (they have the giftcard balance printed on the bottom), AND/OR I mark the GC balance with the sharpie. When the GC is fully used up, I put an X on it.

If you desire, you can also double check the balances via the Disney Giftcard website.

It sounds like perhaps you're asking slightly the wrong question.

If you ultimately plan to pay with gift cards, then you may be better off skipping the Magicbands.

Having done our charges both ways, we now prefer to put all our WDW charges directly to the giftcards. Suffice it to say, we've found there are less errors when we do it that way.

The other tip I have is bring a mini-sharpie with you. Do not discard used up giftcards (until after your trip) because if you have to get something refunded - it goes back on that card. If I partly use a gfitcard, then I A.) fold the most recent receipt around it (they have the giftcard balance printed on the bottom), AND/OR I mark the GC balance with the sharpie. When the GC is fully used up, I put an X on it.

If you desire, you can also double check the balances via the Disney Giftcard website.

I prefer to charge back to the room and pay off with the gift card for a couple of reasons. First is that you do not have to carry the gift card around and risk misplacing or losing it. Second is that by charging to the room you can get a printout of all of your charges and see where your money went. When paying with the gift card you would have to track all of your individual receipts at the end of your trip if like me you want to see where you spent your money. I like to be able to see how much was spent on meals/tips vs. souvenirs etc.

I prefer to charge back to the room and pay off with the gift card for a couple of reasons. First is that you do not have to carry the gift card around and risk misplacing or losing it. Second is that by charging to the room you can get a printout of all of your charges and see where your money went. When paying with the gift card you would have to track all of your individual receipts at the end of your trip if like me you want to see where you spent your money. I like to be able to see how much was spent on meals/tips vs. souvenirs etc.
Do you know the cap amount where they charge your credit card? I think I want to try this-sounds much better than carrying a giftcard around.

Well that is a bummer. I used it a lot before being an AP. Here's hoping they change it. If it's linked to MDE there is no reason it shouldn't be possible. They could always have you show it at pickup too.

That's why I am going to try to use it at the ones who DON'T have an AP discount (like Sautuli, right?) and deal with it in the normal lines for the ones that do :)

Suffice it to say, we've found errors - multiple times- when we did room charges. I find it safer to authorize each transaction individually. For me, it is the reverse: deciphering the printout and matching it against our receipts was harder. How do you check the printout without your receipts?

Mostly, we only buy food while we're at WDW, so I don't need all that many gift cards. I dunno. I don't go to the parks without my wallet, so it isn't a big deal to add 3 receipts per day. Do people walk around the parks without their wallets and phones?

Another possible option is to pictures of things like receipts to have a back up.

Suffice it to say, we've found errors - multiple times- when we did room charges. I find it safer to authorize each transaction individually. For me, it is the reverse: deciphering the printout and matching it against our receipts was harder. How do you check the printout without your receipts?

Mostly, we only buy food while we're at WDW, so I don't need all that many gift cards. I dunno. I don't go to the parks without my wallet, so it isn't a big deal to add 3 receipts per day. Do people walk around the parks without their wallets and phones?

Another possible option is to pictures of things like receipts to have a back up.
If I REALLY need a receipt I keep it. They get filed in a long-term binder or in my short-term file. Most get trashed, unless email is an option.

At Disney I'm more likely to throw it in the giftbag just in case, or take a photo for food. I don't usually carry a wallet, and prefer to go purseless. Usually carry a phonecase with space for id, etc. So yeah, the idea of carrying around lots of receipts is ugh to me-clutter stresses me out. I will be bringing (or maybe just photographing) my master gc, the one I saved the other balances to online. Anything I carry on me I worry about losing, and that's not fun.

I'll try to remember to try both in December and see which works better for us (charging to room vs. paying individually with gc). We have three split stays in the same room though, so I'll have to be careful. Does anyone know what time they charge your credit card? Checkout morning? Night before?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter