What design trends in a few years will say you remodeled in the mid 2020s?

We just built a new home. According to this thread I made just about every mistake possible :(

Don’t feel bad, we’ve been updating our house & apparently I’m right there with you. But, I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks. I’m doing everything to make our home comfortable & pleasing to us & easy to keep clean for me.

We just ordered new carpet ( :eek: horrors!) for our upstairs hall & stairway. We like carpet & prefer it in our bedrooms & living areas. Our main bathroom is being remodeled this fall, will install LVP. We have it in our half bath & I love it. Very easy to keep clean & yes, it looks so good. I plan to install it in our kitchen in a year or 2. No way do I want to be babying hardwood floors as I enter my 70s.

My kitchen cabinets are about 18 years old. They go to the ceiling, love that. And I’m only 5’2. I’d much rather stand on a stool once in awhile to reach a rarely used item than stand on a stool to clean the dust & mess off the top of a cabinet that doesn’t go to the ceiling.

We’ve been married since the late 70s. We’ve had all kinds of colors & wallpapers on our walls. Had our upstairs hall painted a few months ago. I was looking for a medium grey. Settled on a shade called monorail silver. I love it, it’s pretty grey with blue ish tones. I like it so much, I’m considering using it in the bedrooms too.

Oh, and I’ve never had a stainless steel appliance either. I’ve always done what makes me happy, not what anyone else thinks I should.

I like black window sills & painted cabinets but suspect they will be dating but they can also probably be easily fixed, unless you buy windows with the black metal.

Even if it dates me I will always love the open floor plan, I don't miss all the effort fitting things in rooms with unusual angles and wiggling in with wall lengths. The small rooms are often cozy and easier to heat or cool but I do like the openness, especially as I turn my mind to aging in place. I expect the open floor plans will probably accommodate wheel chairs and medical bed equipment placement better, opening up bathrooms for showers and all that more easily too. I grew up in an older home, they aren't very flexible with such things and change can be a massive undertaking because there are so many pipes and wires in all the walls, never mind not wanting to damage original woodwork and all.

I think I'd keep the high end vinyl flooring too. We have it in one of our places, it is softer and yields so it is sooooooo much easier on the arthritis and my joints which I learned is super important as I age, most people end up with arthritis of some kind. When I am at the home full of tile it destroys me, my back, my knees and every other part. I love that I can clean with vinyl easily. Grew up in a home with real wood and it was lovely but very delicate to take care of and it can make repairs or change of any kind nearly impossible. There is no good way to manage moving walls and all with real wood floors because the lovely aged wood can't be recreated, modifications always look choppy.

We just built a new home. According to this thread I made just about every mistake possible :(

Don’t feel bad, we’ve been updating our house & apparently I’m right there with you. But, I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks. I’m doing everything to make our home comfortable & pleasing to us & easy to keep clean for me.

do what YOU like and will enjoy-that's what's important!

My kitchen cabinets are about 18 years old. They go to the ceiling, love that. And I’m only 5’2. I’d much rather stand on a stool once in awhile to reach a rarely used item than stand on a stool to clean the dust & mess off the top of a cabinet that doesn’t go to the ceiling.

i wish i could use a stool-mine don't go all the way to the ceiling but entail an 8' ladder to get to the top shelves. if they had taken ours to the top (about another 4' in one area of the kitchen) i would need scaffolds :rotfl:
We’ve been married since the late 70s. We’ve had all kinds of colors & wallpapers on our walls

the first house we owned was built in the late 50's/we bought in '91. when we went to freshen up the kitchen and set about removing the wallpaper we got an eyefull of kitchen design trends over the decades. layer over layer of wallpapers-i told dh it was like riding the old 'ge carousel of progress' at disneyland:)

i wish i could use a stool-mine don't go all the way to the ceiling but entail an 8' ladder to get to the top shelves. if they had taken ours to the top (about another 4' in one area of the kitchen) i would need scaffolds :rotfl:

Is it a vaulted ceiling? How in the world do you clean those? :confused:

The one I always think of: Two toned cabinets in the kitchen, like white uppers and dark island or lower cabinets.

Is it a vaulted ceiling? How in the world do you clean those? :confused:

yes-valuted in a portion of the kitchen and family room, all of the primary bedroom. as for cleaning them there's not much to do except the dust the potlights (long extention duster) and the 2 useless 'plant shelves' up near the top (same duster).

All this being said, unless you're planning on selling your home at some point, do what pleases you, not what you think might look dated at point X. Styles come and go but you're the one who'll be living with this.

This. I wouldn't go so far to say that DH and I don't care about resale value but we are also planning to be in this house unitl the kids ship us off to the nursing home so I don't care what is trendy.

We have to remodel our bathrooms (which is happening this fall and we are SO excited) and at some point we really need to redo our kitchen. I do not care that granite or quartz counters are popular. I have ultimately decided that I cannot see spending that kind of money on counters that I still have to baby to a certain degree and that will last longer than the house they are installed in. When we do eventually sell the house the new owner will just rip them out for something new anyway. So Formica it is for me.

I never jumped on the grey train, I just prefer beiges and creams. Yesterday at the paint store the sales guy said beige and creams are gaining popularity and trending. Looks like I’ll be in style for a bit until the next “it” color pops up.

I’ll always have warm colors on my walls, wood floors and dark stained cabinets regardless of any trends.

For some reason, in my FB feed I get posts from people who are thinking of remodeling and asking for others' opinions. I am shocked by the number of people who are considering ripping out their hardwood floors to put in vinyl flooring. I can't imagine.
I don’t get that either. Back in the ‘90’s someone I know came into a windfall and opted to rip out the wood floors and lay wood look plank flooring. Of course she regrets it now🤷🏽‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter